Unless we can face that which pains us... we can never truly sparkle! ☆Yuga Aoyama to Izuku Midoriya in "The Strange Tale of Aoyama"
Yuga Aoyama (
He was revealed to have been the "U.A. traitor", reluctantly aiding the League of Villains and causing most of their encounters with U.A. High. During the Final Act Saga, Yuga has ended his association with the League of Villains, choosing to instead help the heroes defeat All For One.
Yuga is a young man with a slim build and a rather feminine face. He has long blond hair, worn flattened down around the majority of his head, spiked and sticking out to the sides at the bottom of it with a side fringe that curves upwards a little before it curves down. He has notably long eyelashes and bright indigo eyes, giving him the appearance of a young prince.
His hero costume consists of a bluish-black bodysuit, over which he wears a suit of metallic lavender and golden armor; a chest plate, two spherical shoulder pads, elbow-length vambraces, and knee-length boots. His chest plate has a high V-neck collar with a golden Greek fret-like trim, as with the lower diaphanous piece under the belt and the edges of the vambraces. It also comes with a long, glittery indigo cape as well as a belt with a golden ring-shaped buckle with a blue crystal, from which he emits his Quirk, matching the smaller ones over his shoulder pads and knees. He has straight angled golden lines running down his baggy pants, a matching set around the shafts of his boots, and he wears a red-tinted wing-shaped visor over his eyes.
Yuga initially appears to be a vain and prideful person, thinking of himself as superior to the rest of his classmates, especially in regards to his Quirk. He exhibits extremely flamboyant mannerisms, is fond of posing, and likes to grab the attention of those around him despite frequently getting ignored by his peers. His expression rarely changes from a closed smile, even while he speaks or gets hurt, and he's also prone to getting upset if interrupted or questioned. Yuga's sentences often end with a star (☆) symbol, indicating a fancy tone. He also tends to play up his French heritage, occasionally implementing French words into his sentences.
However, this persona is shown to be a façade, as Yuga holds severe insecurities and guilt due to the true nature of his Quirk and upbringing. Born Quirkless, he found himself struggling with being "different" from everybody, something his parents worried about even more, not wanting him to suffer from the discrimination. This directly led to them contacting All For One, who gave him his Navel Laser Quirk, but as a result, forced their family into his debt and Yuga as an unwilling double agent, in fear of death.
Though he has a desire to have friends, Yuga rarely has the confidence to act upon it. This is initially believed to be due to his insecurities and lack of social skills; he can unintentionally come off as "creepy" to others when he genuinely means well. But this is later demonstrated to be from the guilt of having to work for the villains and betraying his classmates, thus putting them all in danger, believing himself to be unworthy of having friends, due to being a "despicable villain". Instead, he opts to self-isolate, seen through his eating of school meals alone rather than with the members of his class and general avoidance of most social situations. Despite this, he's been shown to be rather observant, able to pick up on Ochaco Uraraka's crush on Izuku Midoriya before she even realized it herself.
Yuga does possess a compassionate side and is shown to sympathize with Izuku, due to the both of them having what he perceives as highly self-harmful and uncontrollable Quirks, although the way in which he displays this sympathy initially startled Izuku, with the latter unaware the messages being also subtle cries for help. Izuku has stated that he’s never been able to read Yuga due to his unpredictable nature, although he still ended up befriending him. Though when Yuga discovers the truth about One For All and Izuku also having been Quirkless just like him, it throws him even deeper into despair, seeing just how much Izuku has fought for his beliefs and to protect others, while Yuga aids his mortal enemy.
Despite seeing himself as an irreprehensible villain, Yuga is a genuinely kindhearted person with a desire to do good. He shows this during the Provisional Hero License Exam, when he was willing to throw away his chance at a license to give Tenya Ida the chance at passing. Even during the Quirk Training Camp, despite being the one who leaked the location, he still acted to save Fumikage Tokoyami and nearly save Katsuki Bakugo when they were captured by the villains. Once All For One is arrested, Yuga lets himself slowly be more open and friendly with everyone, believing he can move on with All For One incarcerated and the lives of him and his parents no longer in danger, but after his escape from Tartarus, the fear and dread once again eats away at his own existence.
After he is exposed as the "U.A. Traitor", he considers himself as someone who should be locked away all alone for his pathetic and heinous actions in order to pay for his crimes. However, to his disbelief, the rest of Class 1-A, as well as his teacher Shota Aizawa, recognize him as a victim of circumstance who never actually carried any villainous intentions. Instead, they want him to earn their forgiveness by helping them, a conclusion Shota helps him to reach by helping to fight back against the fear and despair that All For One planted within him. Despite his own great fear and now having an uncertain future due to his betrayal, Yuga manages to deceive All For One with the help of his friends and stands against him with Izuku, determined in bringing down the villain's reign of terror once and for all.
Overall Abilities: While Yuga may not possess any melee combat skills, he does have a good handle on his Quirk, Navel Laser. The beams that Yuga can fire can not only be shot from short and long distances, but have enough force to penetrate metal and concrete. They also have enough recoil to propel himself through the air at a high speed, effectively boosting his mobility. Yuga has also displayed the ability to manipulate the size and shape of his beams, such as making them razor-thin or into a blade of light that can be used for swinging. Yuga also possesses good camaraderie, using his Navel Laser to distract his enemies from a distance, and even if he reaches his limit, Yuga effectively gives his comrades the opening required to defeat the opponent that stands before them.
Yuga has repeatedly displayed the capacity to effortlessly destroy Villain Bots with a single blast from his Navel Laser. His aim with his beams is also on point, as he was able to blast Mr. Compress in the face before the villain could dodge it, all while Yuga concealed himself in nearby bushes. On Nabu Island, Yuga, alongside Minoru Mineta and Toru Hagakure, had the mettle to face the powerful villain, Mummy. Despite neutralizing multiple mummified targets, with the former two reaching their Quirk limits, the nearly defeated trio bought enough time for reinforcements to arrive to finally defeat Mummy. The next day, Yuga and Momo Yaoyorozu acted as the first line of defense against Nine, Slice, and Chimera, with Yuga unleashing the full power of his Navel Laser, and Momo creating 2 large cannons, all to barrage the villain trinity into separating from each other. Soon after, an overtaxed Yuga, while being held by an equally exhausted Momo, initiated a surprise attack on Nine from behind, but the undeterred villain used his Air Wall Quirk to easily defeat the fatigued duo. His abilities eventually garnered the attention of the Equipped Hero: Yoroi Musha, giving Yuga the opportunity to intern under the (now former) No. 9 Pro Hero, and improve his offensive and defensive abilities.
While he was unwillingly a mole, it should be noted that Yuga is also highly elusive and sneaky, despite his habit of boasting. He was able to leak the U.S.J. location and the relocated Summer Training Camp without getting caught. As mentioned by Izuku, Yuga is very hard to read, as he was able to hide his actions, and later his enormous guilt and remorse until he was finally found out. With the aid of Hitoshi Shinso, Yuga was even able to trick All For One into thinking he had betrayed his friends yet again and delivered Izuku to him, only for Yuga to turn around on the villain leader and deliver a surprise attack.
Navel Laser (ネビルレーザー Nebiru Rēzā?): Yuga's Quirk allows him to shoot a powerful sparkling laser cannon from his navel. It is so powerful, it can blast through two meters of solid concrete. If he fires the laser for more than 1 second at a time, he will suffer intestinal distress.
Due to being born Quirkless and given a power from All For One, Yuga's body was incompatible with the Quirk, granting him very little control over his Quirk, requiring a special belt to worn in order to compensate and deceive others by claiming it was a birth defect. However, due to his training in U.A., the negative side-effects of his Quirk have been greatly reduced.
As part of his training, Yuga continuously fired his Navel Laser to build up his body's endurance, increase the range of his blasts, and gain the ability to use his blast even when undergoing stomach pains.
By the time the Provisional Hero License Exam occurs, Yuga reveals that he has increased the duration of his Quirk to the point where it can last longer than one second. This was notably shown when he extends the use of his Quirk to signal his classmates and during the aftermath of Hero Work-Studies II when demonstrating his new Super Move "Navel Saber".
- Navel Buffet☆Laser (ネビル ビュッフェレーザー Nebiru Buffe Rēzā?): Yuga fires successive beams not only from his navel but also from his shoulders and knees, which are equipped with beam openings just like his Sparkle Belt. As a result, this technique puts more strain on him than when he usually uses his Quirk.
- Navel Saber (ネビルセーバー Nebiru Sēbā?): Yuga concentrates the energy of his Navel Laser and shapes it into a cutting light blade attached to his bellybutton.
- Supernova (スーパーノヴァ Sūpānova?): Used first during Heroes: Rising. After charging his Navel Laser for five seconds, Yuga can unleash a much more powerful laser that surpasses his normal beams. This move is a giant laser beam with a significantly wider diameter.
Hero Outfit: Yuga's hero outfit, though it may look like it was meant to only look flashy, is actually made of high tech so that he can channel his laser beam to other lenses across the costume, thus allowing him to shoot his beam from other parts of his body, such as his knees and shoulders.
- Sparkle Shades (キラメキ グラス Kirameki Gurasu?): This equipment is so Yuga won't be blinded by his own shine.
- Sparkle Inner (キラメキインナー Kirameki Innā?): This equipment is very high tech, as it's designed to send the energy emitted by his navel lasers to his shoulders and knees, who have emitters similar to his belt.
- Sparkling Emitter Gear (キラメキ噴出セット Kirameki Funshutsu Setto?): This equipment is divided into five "sparktacular" sparkle items that focus the sparkling energy transmitted by his "Sparkle Inner" into a single sparkling sparkle beam.
- Sparkle Belt (お手軽キラメキベルト Otegaru Kirameki Beruto?): This equipment a simple yet convenient belt that Yuga wears every day.
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
- Yuga's early design was very similar to how he currently looks, aside from slightly longer, less spiky hair and different pants. His hero name was also supposed to be "Can't Stop Twinkle" instead of "Can't Stop Twinkling".
- According to Yuga's Volume 1 profile:
- His favorite thing is himself.
- Horikoshi says he doesn't really understand this character, but he is fun to draw so that is fine by him.
- Yuga's surname contains the kanji for "blue" (青 ao?) and "mountain" (山 yama?), and his first name contains "excellent, superior" (優 yū?) and "elegant, graceful, refined" (雅 ga?). His surname is exactly the same as Aoyama (青山), the name of a wealthy and fashionable area of Tokyo, which is often mentioned associating with the word "elegant" (優雅 yūga?).
- Yuga uses a rose scented fragrance to give himself a romantic tip.
- Yuga's known U.A. academic data is as follows:
- Student No. 1 in Class 1-A.
- Ranked 14th during the Quirk Apprehension Test.
- His 50-Meter Dash record is 5.51 seconds. His previous record was 8.25 seconds in middle school.
- Ranked 18th in Class 1-A's grades.
- Ranked in the Top 16 of the U.A. Sports Festival First-Year Stage.
- Yuga's Japanese voice actor, Kosuke Kuwano, also voices Hiryu Rin.
- Yuga is one of the three students attending U.A. confirmed to be a foreigner, the others being Hiryu and Pony Tsunotori.
- With his birthday taking place in late May (two days after Mashirao Ojiro's), Yuga is the third oldest student in Class 1-A, as everyone was fifteen when they started U.A.'s school year in early April.
- He might be aware that he's just a fictional character due to his constant breaking of the fourth wall.
- Yuga's Quirk seems to be based on Cyclops from the X-Men, who would also regularly wear red sunglasses not unlike the ones Yuga wears as part of his hero outfit.
- Yuga is the only member in Class 1-A to be from outside Japan.
- (To All For One) "Maman and Papa told me something else. They told me what it is you fear most, All For One. You fear the world learning that Japan isn't finished yet. You fear the light and hope that come with recovery. And you fear Japan inspiring the world to unite once more. So today is the day... and this is the place where you fall!!"
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 45 and Episode 26.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 167 and Episode 80.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 168 and Episode 80.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 82 and Episode 45.
- My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 168.
- My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 337.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 256 and Episode 113.
- My Hero Academia: Heroes: Rising.
|U.A. High School|
|Class 1-A Students||Denki Kaminari • Eijiro Kirishima • Fumikage Tokoyami • Hanta Sero • Izuku Midoriya • Katsuki Bakugo • Koji Koda • Kyoka Jiro • Mashirao Ojiro • Mezo Shoji • Mina Ashido • Minoru Mineta • Momo Yaoyorozu • Ochaco Uraraka • Rikido Sato • Shoto Todoroki • Tenya Ida • Toru Hagakure • Tsuyu Asui • Yuga Aoyama|
|Class 1-B Students||Hiryu Rin • Ibara Shiozaki • Itsuka Kendo • Juzo Honenuki • Jurota Shishida • Kinoko Komori • Kojiro Bondo • Kosei Tsuburaba • Manga Fukidashi • Neito Monoma • Nirengeki Shoda • Pony Tsunotori • Reiko Yanagi • Sen Kaibara • Setsuna Tokage • Shihai Kuroiro • Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu • Togaru Kamakiri • Yosetsu Awase • Yui Kodai|
|Department of Support||Mei Hatsume • Bibimi Kenranzaki|
|General Department||Hitoshi Shinso • Chikuchi Togeike • Tsutsutaka Agoyamato|
|Second Year Students||Mawata Fuwa|
|Third Year Students||Mirio Togata • Nejire Hado • Tamaki Amajiki • Bibimi Kenranzaki • Yuyu Haya|
|Staff||All Might • Cementoss • Ectoplasm • Eraser Head • Hound Dog • Lunch Rush • Midnight • Nezu • Power Loader • Present Mic • Recovery Girl • Snipe • Thirteen • Vlad King • Gran Torino (Retired)|
|Former Students||All Might • Endeavor • Best Jeanist • Midnight • Eraser Head • Loud Cloud • Present Mic • Mister Blaster|
|Locations||Class 1-A • Class 1-B • Conference Room • Ground Beta • Ground Gamma • Ground Omega • Gym Gamma • Heights Alliance • Lunch Rush Cafeteria • P.E. Grounds • Recovery Girl's Nurse's Office • Sports Festival Stadium • Teachers Lounge • U.A.'s Development Studio • Unforeseen Simulation Joint|