Yuga Aoyama (
Yuga is a young man with a slim build and a rather feminine face. He has long blond hair, worn flattened down around the majority of his head, spiked and sticking out to the sides at the bottom of it, with a side fringe that curves upwards a little before it does down. He has notably long eyelashes and bright indigo eyes, giving him the appearance of a young prince.
His hero costume consists of a bluish-black bodysuit, over which he wears a suit of metallic lavender and golden armor; a chest plate, two spherical shoulder pads, elbow-length vambraces, and knee-length boots. His chest plate has a high V-neck collar with a golden Greek fret-like trim, as with the lower diaphanous piece under the belt and the edges of the vambraces. It also comes with a long, glittery indigo cape as well as a belt with a golden ring-shaped buckle with a blue crystal, from which he emits his Quirk, matching the smaller ones over his shoulder pads and knees. He has straight angled golden lines running down his baggy pants, a matching set around the shafts of his boots, and he wears a red-tinted wing-shaped visor over his eyes.
Yuga appears to be a vain and prideful person, thinking of himself as superior to the rest of his classmates, especially in regards to his Quirk. He exhibits extremely flamboyant mannerisms, is fond of posing, and likes to grab the attention of those around him despite frequently getting ignored by his peers. His expression rarely changes from a closed smile, even while he speaks or gets hurt, and he's also prone to getting upset if interrupted or questioned. Yuga's sentences often end with a star (☆) symbol, indicating a fancy tone. He also tends to play up his French heritage, occasionally implementing French words into his sentences.
However, this persona is shown to be mostly a façade, as Yuga holds severe insecurities about his Quirk, and, in reality, he doesn't see himself as above anyone else. In fact, he appears to think of himself as different from everybody, due to the "defective" Quirk he was born with. Yuga has been struggling with this since his childhood and wishes to become "normal" one day.
Though he has a desire to have friends, Yuga rarely has the confidence to act upon it due to his insecurities alack of social skills; he can unintentionally come off as "creepy" to others when he genuinely means well. Instead, he opts to self-isolate, seen through his eating of school meals alone rather than with the members of his class and general avoidance of most social situations. Despite this, he's been shown to be rather observant, able to pick up on Ochaco's crush on Izuku before she even realized it herself.
Yuga does possess a compassionate side and is shown to sympathize with Izuku Midoriya, due to the both of them having what he perceives as highly self-harmful and uncontrollable Quirks, although the way in which he displays this sympathy initially startled Izuku. Izuku has stated that he’s never been able to read Yuga due to his unpredictable nature, although he still ended up befriending him.. He is also kindhearted, as shown in the Provisional License Exam when he was willing to throw away his chance at a license to give Tenya Ida the chance at passing.
Yuga is also easily frightened by danger and prefers to hide rather than fight, though he can still help out a friend as long as he remains safe and isn't above sacrificing himself, highly contrasting his usual self-centered attitude.
Overall Abilities: While Yuga may not possess any melee combat skills, he does have a good handle on his Quirk, Navel Laser. The beams that Yuga can fire can not only be shot from short and long distances, but have enough force to penetrate metal and concrete. They also have enough recoil to propel himself through the air at a high speed, effectively boosting his mobility. Yuga has also displayed the ability to manipulate the size and shape of his beams, such as making them razor-thin or into a blade of light that can be used for swinging. Yuga also possesses good camaraderie, using his Navel Laser to distract his enemies from a distance, and even if he reaches his limit, Yuga effectively gives his comrades the opening required to defeat the opponent that stands before them.
Yuga has repeatedly displayed the capacity to effortlessly destroy Villain Bots with a single blast from his Navel Laser. His aim with his beams is also on point, as he was able to blast Mr. Compress in the face before the villain could dodge it, all while Yuga concealed himself in nearby bushes. His abilities eventually garnered the attention of the Equipped Hero: Yoroi Musha, giving Yuga the opportunity to intern under the (Now former) No. 9 Pro Hero, and improve his offensive and defensive abilities. On Nabu Island, Yuga, alongside Minoru and Toru, had the mettle to face the powerful villain, Hoyo Makihara. Despite neutralizing multiple mummified targets, with the former two reaching their Quirk limits, the nearly defeated trio bought enough time for reinforcements to arrive to finally defeat Hoyo. The next day, Yuga and Momo acted as the first line of defense against Nine, Kiruka Hasaki, and Chojuro Kon, with Yuga unleashing the full power of his Navel Laser, and Momo creating 2 large cannons, all to barrage the villain trinity into separating from each other. Soon after, an overtaxed Yuga, while being held by an equally exhausted Momo, initiated a surprise attack on Nine from behind, but the undeterred villain used his Air Wall Quirk to easily defeat the fatigued duo.
Navel Laser (ネビルレーザー Nebiru Rēzā?): Yuga's Quirk allows him to shoot a powerful sparkling laser cannon from his navel. It is so powerful, it can blast through 2 metres of solid concrete. If he fires the laser for more than 1 second at a time, he will suffer intestinal distress.
This has been explained due to a birth defect, in which Yuga has very little control over his Quirk and needs to wear a special belt to compensate. However, due to his training in U.A., the negative side-effects of his Quirk have been greatly reduced.
As part of his training, Yuga continuously fired his Navel Laser to build up his body's endurance, increase the range of his blasts, and gain the ability to use his blast even when undergoing stomach pains.
By the time the Provisional Hero License Exam occurs, Yuga reveals that he has increased the duration of his Quirk to the point where it can last longer than one second. This was notably shown when he extends the use of his Quirk to signal his classmates and during the aftermath of Hero Work-Studies II when demonstrating his new Super Move "Navel Saber".
- Navel Buffet Laser (ネビル ビュッフェレーザー Nebiru Buffe Rēzā?): Yuga fires successive beams not only from his navel but also from his shoulders and knees, which are equipped with beam openings just like his Sparkle Belt. As a result, this technique puts more strain on him than when he usually uses his Quirk.
- Navel Saber (ネビルセーバー Nebiru Sēbā?): Yuga concentrates the energy of his Navel Laser and shapes it into a cutting light blade attached to his bellybutton.
- Can't Stop Twinkling: Supernova (キャント・ストップ・トゥインクリング・スーパーノヴァ Kyanto Sutoppu Tuinkuringu Sūpānova?): Used first during "Heroes: Rising". After charging his Navel Laser for 5 seconds, Yuga can unleash a much more powerful laser that surpasses his normal beams. This move is a giant laser beam with a significantly wider diameter.
Hero Outfit: Yuga's hero outfit, though it may look like it was meant to only look flashy, is actually made of high tech so that he can channel his laser beam to other lenses across the costume, thus allowing him to shoot his beam from other parts of his body, such as his knees and shoulders.
- Sparkle Shades (キラメキ グラス Kirameki Gurasu?): This equipment is so Yuga won't be blinded by his own shine.
- Sparkle Inner (キラメキインナー Kirameki Innā?): This equipment is very high tech, as it's designed to send the energy emitted by his navel lasers to his shoulders and knees, who have emitters similar to his belt.
- Sparkling Emitter Gear (キラメキ噴出セット Kirameki Funshutsu Setto?): This equipment is divided into five "sparktacular" sparkle items that focus the sparkling energy transmitted by his "Sparkle Inner" into a single sparkling sparkle beam.
- Sparkle Belt (お手軽キラメキベルト Otegaru Kirameki Beruto?): This equipment a simple yet convenient belt that Yuga wears every day.
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
- Yuga's early design was very similar to how he currently looks, aside from slightly longer, less spiky hair and different pants. His hero name was also supposed to be "Can't Stop Twinkle" instead of "Can't Stop Twinkling".
- According to Yuga's Volume 1 profile:
- His favorite thing is himself.
- Horikoshi says he does not quite understand this character, but he is fun to draw so that is fine by him.
- Yuga's surname contains the kanji for "blue" (青 ao?) and "mountain" (山 yama?), and his first name contains "excellent, superior" (優 yū?) and "elegant, graceful, refined" (雅 ga?).
- Yuga uses a rose scented fragrance to give himself a romantic tip.
- Yuga's known U.A. academic data is as follows:
- Yuga's Japanese voice actor, Kosuke Kuwano, also voices Hiryu Rin from Class 1-B.
- Yuga is one of the three students attending U.A. confirmed to be a foreigner, the others being Hiryu Rin and Pony Tsunotori.
- With his birthday taking place in late May (two days after Mashirao Ojiro's), Yuga is the third oldest student in Class 1-A, as everyone was fifteen when they started U.A.'s school year in early April.
- He might be aware that he's just a fictional character due to his constant breaking of the fourth wall.
- Yuga's quirk seems to be based on Cyclops from the X-Men, who would also regularly wear red sunglasses not unlike the ones Yuga wears as part of his hero outfit.
- Yuga is the only member in Class 1-A to be from outside Japan.
- My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 45 (p. 10).
- My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 167.
- My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 168.
- My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 82.
- My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 256.
- My Hero Academia: Heroes: Rising.
|U.A. High School|
|Class 1-A Students||Denki Kaminari • Eijiro Kirishima • Fumikage Tokoyami • Hanta Sero • Izuku Midoriya • Katsuki Bakugo • Koji Koda • Kyoka Jiro • Mashirao Ojiro • Mezo Shoji • Mina Ashido • Minoru Mineta • Momo Yaoyorozu • Ochaco Uraraka • Rikido Sato • Shoto Todoroki • Tenya Ida • Toru Hagakure • Tsuyu Asui • Yuga Aoyama|
|Class 1-B Students||Hiryu Rin • Ibara Shiozaki • Itsuka Kendo • Juzo Honenuki • Jurota Shishida • Kinoko Komori • Kojiro Bondo • Kosei Tsuburaba • Manga Fukidashi • Neito Monoma • Nirengeki Shoda • Pony Tsunotori • Reiko Yanagi • Sen Kaibara • Setsuna Tokage • Shihai Kuroiro • Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu • Togaru Kamakiri • Yosetsu Awase • Yui Kodai|
|Department of Support||Mei Hatsume • Bibimi Kenranzaki|
|General Department||Hitoshi Shinso • Chikuchi Togeike • Tsutsutaka Agoyamato|
|Second Year Students||Mawata Fuwa|
|Third Year Students||Mirio Togata • Nejire Hado • Tamaki Amajiki • Bibimi Kenranzaki • Yuyu Haya|
|Staff||All Might • Cementoss • Ectoplasm • Eraser Head • Hound Dog • Lunch Rush • Midnight • Nezu • Power Loader • Present Mic • Recovery Girl • Snipe • Thirteen • Vlad King • Gran Torino (Retired)|
|Former Students||All Might • Endeavor • Best Jeanist • Midnight • Eraser Head • Loud Cloud • Present Mic • Mister Blaster|
|Locations||Class 1-A • Class 1-B • Conference Room • Ground Beta • Ground Gamma • Ground Omega • Gym Gamma • Heights Alliance • Lunch Rush Cafeteria • P.E. Grounds • Recovery Girl's Nurse's Office • Sports Festival Stadium • Teachers Lounge • U.A.'s Development Studio • Unforeseen Simulation Joint|