We're all still in shock over Bakugo's kidnapping... so we have to think about this calmly. It doesn't matter how righteous our feelings are. If we start another fight... if we break the law... then we're no better than the villains!Tsuyu Asui to her classmates about Katsuki Bakugo's kidnapping in "From Ida to Midoriya"
Tsuyu is a short girl of a relatively slender build compared to her classmates and has notably large hands. Her appearance is rather frog-like; she has a very wide mouth, which dips down a little in the middle just like that of a common frog, and oval-shaped eyes with large, black irises, their lower eyelashes visibly pronounced, and she also demonstrates some frog-like mannerisms, such as hopping on all fours instead of running and holding herself in a way that is somewhat connotative of a frog.
Her hair is a dark sea-green color and is very long, reaching all the way to her waist with the ends tied together at the bottom in a large bow of hair. She has two shoulder-length clumps framing her face and shorter bangs between her eyes, some of them partially swept to each side.
Her hero costume consists of a bright green turtleneck bodysuit, tan-colored gloves with large buckles on each wrist guard, and two matching belts, one above her breasts, a strap at either side going around her shoulders, and one around her waist, little green dots embedded into it all the way around. Two black lines run all the way down her suit, each framed with yellow, and she wears tight black boots with markings in the shape of a “V” on her thighs, green webbed flippers resembling frogs’ toes on her feet. She wears a headband with a color matching that of her gloves, and goggles with dark green-tinted lenses attached on either side.
Her winter costume isn’t largely different, though she now wears a ring around her neck with two yellow bubble-shaped objects just above her shoulders that automatically regulates her body temperature (her Quirk causes her to hibernate when it drops a significant amount), and her goggles are newly fitted with a visor so she can wear them more comfortably. The inside of her suit is lined with insulation to also aid with temperature regulation. The markings on her suit are also slightly different, in that the two lines only start just below her chest rather than from the top of her suit, and she has two rounder markings on her chest.
Tsuyu is a straightforward and aloof individual who always speaks bluntly from her mind and what she thinks about others. Tsuyu prefers to be called "Tsu", but only by people she views as friends. She commonly refers to everyone with the honorific "-chan", save for teachers and other authority figures.
Tsuyu's parents were always busy at work, requiring her to become the caretaker of her two younger siblings at a young age. Under these circumstances, Tsuyu grew into a highly mature and responsible individual who could divide her attention between school and home duties without letting one intervene with the other. This also means that Tsuyu knows how to lead and look after people, keeping them safe and at ease if they don't feel so. She has strong morals, goals, and principles and is willing to oppose her friends to defend them from decisions she considers rash. When several members of Class 1-A agreed to rescue Katsuki Bakugo after the Vanguard Action Squad Invasion, Tsuyu was the most outspoken against it, asserting that acting on their emotions and breaking the law to rescue him made them essentially the same as villains.
Tsuyu is noticeably calm and collected, being able to stay levelheaded and focused even during the most stressful situations. An honor student since middle school, Tsuyu has great judgment, can communicate her intentions easily, and is rarely moved by emotion, making her an incredibly dependable ally who's capable of covering for a partner's weaknesses. For those reasons, Recovery Girl describes her as a "perfect pillar of emotional support". However, even Tsuyu has limits when it comes to staying composed, having broken down in despair or heartbreak a few times. Her words may also come off as unintentionally harsh thanks to her blunt honesty, resulting in her feeling guilty and regretful when she speaks out against her friends.
Her usual expression consists of a vacant stare, which makes reading her thoughts and emotions difficult for those around her while also creeping them out in the process. Tsuyu has a habit of tipping her finger against her mouth while speaking, pondering, or showing curiosity. She tends to say "ribbit", emulating a frog's croaking, at the end of her sentences, or as a replacement for many of her single word replies.
Overall Abilities: Tsuyu has proven herself to be a highly capable individual. Using the frog-based abilities granted by her Quirk, Tsuyu has proficiency in both close and long-range combat. She employs a fighting style that involves a great amount of agility and powerful leaps to evade, surprise, and confuse her opponents, as well as using her increased leg strength to deliver powerful kicks. Tsuyu can also use her elongated tongue in a grappling or whip-like fashion to subdue her opponents. In addition, Tsuyu excels in aquatic environments; her frog-like anatomy lets her move freely through water without losing strength or agility like most people. She's proficient in fighting and/or rescuing victims underwater, making her very useful for missions taking place in such situations. Tsuyu also possesses great camaraderie, effectively combining her own Quirk abilities with that of anyone with whom she is paired. Tsuyu is a very outstanding student with little to no weaknesses and can provide support to anyone, even those as powerful as Izuku Midoriya, Shoto Todoroki, Fumikage Tokoyami, and Tenya Ida. Her overall abilities make her one of the strongest female students in her class.
Tsuyu's abilities garnered the attention of Nejire Hado, the third strongest student of U.A. High School's Big 3, who recommended both Tsuyu and Ochaco to intern alongside her under the tutelage of Ryukyu, the No. 10 (formerly No. 9) Pro Hero. At the beginning the Shie Hassaikai Raid, the Ryukyu Squad acted as the first line of defense against Rikiya Katsukame of the Eight Bullets and were able to successfully subdue him. During the first round of the Joint Training Battle, Tsuyu demonstrated the mettle to take on Jurota Shishida, one of the strongest students in Class 1-B, but she couldn’t keep up with the latter's enhanced prowess. Afterwards, Tsuyu used her incredible leg strength to break through the scale armor of Hiryu Rin, send him flying into Jurota (who was being subdued by Hitoshi Shinso), and secure victory for her team.
- Enhanced Stamina: Through intense training, Tsuyu obtained an impressive amount of stamina. After having her stamina siphoned by a Trigger-enhanced Rikiya, Tsuyu was still able to hold her own against the Yakuza member for 20 minutes until the Trigger drug wore off, allowing the Ryukyu Squad to defeat him once and for all.
Keen Intellect: Tsuyu has proven to be very intelligent, scoring 6th place in the mid-terms, showcasing her proficiency in academics. She is also very analytical, as demonstrated in the U.S.J. Incident, in which she not only deduced the Quirk similarities between Izuku and All Might, but also surmised the League of Villains may have an effective way to carry out their plan to kill All Might. Her speculation was later confirmed in the form of a Nomu. With her level-headedness and analytical skills, Tsuyu successfully helped Izuku and Minoru escape from the water villains that surrounded the trinity in the Flood Zone. For the First Term Final Exam, Tsuyu and Fumikage were about to fail against Ectoplasm, but Tsuyu, avoiding the instructor's attention, had Fumikage use Dark Shadow to close the gap between him and the replicating hero, in order to discreetly handcuff the latter, enabling the students to pass the exam. During the first round of the Joint Training Battle, Tsuyu took advantage of Jurota's enhanced sense of smell by coating her remaining teammates, Denki and Hitoshi, in mucus so that their scents would match her own, making the trio indiscernible to Jurota.
- Enhanced swimming abilities.
- Hopping at long distances.
- Extending her tongue up to a maximum of 20 meters (which is strong enough to lift an entire person's body weight).
- Sticking to walls.
- Ejecting/washing her stomach.
- Camouflaging herself.
- Secreting mucous with different, controlled effects:
- Itch inducing
- Scent masking
Since she is frog-like, when she is exposed to cold temperatures for too long, she goes into hibernation and is unable to function.
As part of her training, Tsuyu worked out all the muscles in her body, including her tongue, by rock climbing on the side of a cliff while having her elongated tongue remain in place at the top of the structure.
- Camouflage (
保 護 色Hogoshoku?): Tsuyu uses her frog-like body to match the temperature and color of her surroundings in order to mask her presence.
- Meteor Fafrotskies (メテオファフロッキーズ Meteo Fafurokkīzu?): Tsuyu and Ochaco work together to float debris and throw it at the enemies.
Camouflage Costume: Tsuyu's hero costume changes colors along with her, blending in with her surroundings when she uses her Camouflage ability.
Froggy Neck Ring: The neck ring attaches to the back of her wetsuit and wraps around her neck. Both ends of the ring have two yellow muffs, modeled after a frog's inflated cheeks, that wrap around Tsuyu's neck. The ring automatically regulates her body temperature.
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
- Tsuyu's preliminary design was less frog-like and more human in appearance, with smaller eyes and mouth. She was also supposed to be more downbeat.
- According to Tsuyu's Volume 2 profile:
- Tsuyu's surname contains the kanji for "frog" (蛙 a?) and "puff" (吹 sui?), and her first name contains "plum" (梅 tsu?) and "rain" (雨 yu?).
- When written together, the kanji in Tsuyu's first name translates to "rainy season" (梅雨 tsuyu?).
- Tsuyu's known U.A. data is as follows:
- Tsuyu's rankings in the Popularity Polls are as follows:
- Tsuyu ranked 6th in the First Popularity Poll.
- Tsuyu ranked 9th in the Second Popularity Poll.
- Tsuyu ranked 2nd in the First US Popularity Poll.
- Tsuyu ranked 5th in the in the Second US Popularity Poll.
- A mugshot of Chika Amatori from the World Trigger manga bears a striking resemblance to Tsuyu.
- Additionally, Tsuyu's birthday is a day after Chika's (February 11), both have the kanji for "rain" (雨 ama/yu?) in their names, and both seem to be related to frogs (in World Trigger's system, Chika's zodiac sign is Rana, the frog).
- With her birthday taking place in February, Tsuyu is the second youngest student in Class 1-A, as everyone was 15 when they started U.A.'s school year in early April.
- After moving into Heights Alliance, Tsuyu still maintains contact with her younger siblings through video chats.
- Tsuyu, Momo Yaoyorozu, Minoru Mineta and Mina Ashido all share the same Costume designer.
- Tsuyu's Japanase voice actor, Aoi Yūki, also voices Pony Tsunotori and Setsuna Tokage.
- Tsuyu's English voice actor, Monica Rial, also voices Taneo Tokuda as a child.
- Reminiscent of Tsuyu’s frog-like persona, both the sub and dub voice actors represent this by using a nasally voice.
- Tsuyu often adds ‘Kero’ or ‘Ribbit’ when speaking; both in the sub and dub versions, respectively.
- Describing her Quirk, Tsuyu states that she is able to spit up her stomach to clean it. Frogs, when doing this, often step on the stomach in order to clean it before it is set back into their body.
- (To her classmates, regarding the rescue mission for Katsuki Bakugo) "We're all still in shock over Bakugo's kidnapping... so we have to think about this calmly. It doesn't matter how righteous our feelings are. If we start another fight...if we break the law...then we're no better than the villains!"
- (To Himiko Toga, regarding being called by her first name) "Cut it out! Only people who are my friends can call me that!"
|U.A. High School|
|Class 1-A Students||Denki Kaminari • Eijiro Kirishima • Fumikage Tokoyami • Hanta Sero • Izuku Midoriya • Katsuki Bakugo • Koji Koda • Kyoka Jiro • Mashirao Ojiro • Mezo Shoji • Mina Ashido • Minoru Mineta • Momo Yaoyorozu • Ochaco Uraraka • Rikido Sato • Shoto Todoroki • Tenya Ida • Toru Hagakure • Tsuyu Asui • Yuga Aoyama|
|Class 1-B Students||Hiryu Rin • Ibara Shiozaki • Itsuka Kendo • Juzo Honenuki • Jurota Shishida • Kinoko Komori • Kojiro Bondo • Kosei Tsuburaba • Manga Fukidashi • Neito Monoma • Nirengeki Shoda • Pony Tsunotori • Reiko Yanagi • Sen Kaibara • Setsuna Tokage • Shihai Kuroiro • Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu • Togaru Kamakiri • Yosetsu Awase • Yui Kodai|
|Department of Support||Mei Hatsume • Bibimi Kenranzaki|
|General Department||Hitoshi Shinso • Chikuchi Togeike • Tsutsutaka Agoyamato|
|Second Year Students||Mawata Fuwa|
|Third Year Students||Mirio Togata • Nejire Hado • Tamaki Amajiki • Bibimi Kenranzaki • Yuyu Haya|
|Staff||All Might • Cementoss • Ectoplasm • Eraser Head • Hound Dog • Lunch Rush • Midnight • Nezu • Power Loader • Present Mic • Recovery Girl • Snipe • Thirteen • Vlad King • Gran Torino (Retired)|
|Former Students||All Might • Endeavor • Best Jeanist • Midnight • Eraser Head • Loud Cloud • Present Mic • Mister Blaster|
|Locations||Class 1-A • Class 1-B • Conference Room • Ground Beta • Ground Gamma • Ground Omega • Gym Gamma • Heights Alliance • Lunch Rush Cafeteria • P.E. Grounds • Recovery Girl's Nurse's Office • Sports Festival Stadium • Teachers Lounge • U.A.'s Development Studio • Unforeseen Simulation Joint|
|Families and Civilians|
|Asui Family||Beru Asui • Ganma Asui • Tsuyu Asui • Samidare Asui • Satsuki Asui|
|Bakugo Family||Masaru Bakugo • Mitsuki Bakugo • Katsuki Bakugo|
|Ida Family||Tensei Ida • Tenya Ida|
|Jiro Family||Kyotoku Jiro • Mika Jiro • Kyoka Jiro|
|Midoriya Family||Hisashi Midoriya • Inko Midoriya • Izuku Midoriya|
|Shimano Family||Katsuma Shimano • Mahoro Shimano|
|Shimura Family||Chizuo • Hana Shimura • Kotaro Shimura • Mako • Nana Shimura • Nao Shimura • Tenko Shimura|
|Takami Family||Keigo Takami • Tomie Takami|
|Todoroki Family||Enji Todoroki • Rei Todoroki • Fuyumi Todoroki • Natsuo Todoroki • Shoto Todoroki • Toya Todoroki|
|Tsukauchi Family||Makoto Tsukauchi • Naomasa Tsukauchi|
|Shield Family||David Shield • Melissa Shield|
|Haimawari Family||Koichi Haimawari • Shoko Haimawari|
|Oguro Family||Iwao Oguro • Tamao Oguro|
|Skyline Family||Christopher Skyline • Pamela|
|Civilians||Aorio Kuraishisu • Daikaku Miyagi • Eri • Gantetsu • Hime • Ichimoku Samazu • Ikkaku • Jube Namimaru • Komari Ikoma • Kota Izumi • Luminescent Baby • Miyashita • Public Safety Commission President • Rin Yaritezawa • Saito • Samuel Abraham • Sho • Takuto • Tamashiro • Taneo Tokuda • Teruo Hazukashi • The Mother of Quirks • Tsubasa • Untenmaru Kurumada • Yokumiru Mera|