Toru Hagakure (
Toru is a fairly short girl with a completely invisible body. She is only identifiable through held or worn objects, like pieces of clothing and accessories, and when clothed, her body appears to be slender yet fairly curvaceous.
Her winter costume includes plain knee-high boots and slightly thicker-looking gloves with a different color scheme and design.
Toru is a bubbly, cheery, and easygoing girl that does most things with an upbeat attitude, even if manipulated to do so. She is very socially eager and appears to like shopping. Her room suggests that she likes plushies and other cute things.
She believes that taking off her clothes during battle is a tactical advantage, much to the awkwardness of those around her. That being said, she seems blissfully unaware of what it means to be invisible, such as displaying slight embarrassment at the idea of being watched undressing; a trait that shows up even when she's wearing her hero costume, which features almost no clothing in the first place.
In general, it appears Toru's invisible body is primarily used as a source of comic relief.
Overall Abilities: Thanks to her Quirk, Invisibility, Toru greatly excels in espionage, making her the stealthiest student in Class 1-A. Toru can easily bypass regular visual detection, making her an ideal choice for ambushes, spy missions, and attack evasions. However, those advantages are only feasible if she devoids herself of clothing and/or equipment, as such objects don't become unseen like the rest of her body. Aside from her stealth capabilities, Toru also possess a degree of melee-combat abilities. Her primary fighting style consists of directly attacking her opponents with a barrage of punches, taking advantage of her total invisibility to launch surprise attacks that are extremely difficult to defend against. She also has good camaraderie, having her comrades run interface against opponents, and then using her incognito skills to initiate clandestine assaults, and vice versa. This comradeship allowed to Toru and Mezo Shoji to pass their First Term Final Exam, wherein the two were pitted against Snipe.
During the Provisional Hero License Exam, Toru developed photokinetic applications of her Quirk, and employed a new Super Move, "Warp Refraction", to effectively stun a large group of rival students. Her abilities eventually garnered the attention of the Equipped Hero: Yoroi Musha, giving Toru the opportunity to intern under the (Now former) No. 9 Pro Hero, and improve her offensive and defensive abilities.
As part of her training, she worked on improving her stealth prowess by remaining undetected from the sensory-efficient Mezo Shoji. In addition, Toru learned how to use the light manipulation capabilities of her Quirk, being able to refract light inside of her and intensify it, making her capable of blinding people. After her Hero Work-Studies with Yoroi Musha, Toru has refined this application, evidenced by her manipulating Yuga's Navel Laser.
- Warp Refraction (
集 光 屈 折Shūkō Kussetsu?): Toru warps light through her invisible body and blinds those who are nearby.
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
- Originally, Toru's costume had more trinkets to it than just a pair of gloves and boots. She was supposed to wear some sort of mask with a smiling face on it, and her gloves were meant to have mirror-like objects tied to them.
- According to Toru's Volume 2 profile:
- Toru was supposed to be a male character at first, but Horikoshi changed her into a female because he thought a girl having an invisible body was a funnier concept. There was also a lack of female characters at the time.
- Toru's favorite food are caramels.
- Toru's favorite things are dokkiri (hidden-camera surprise pranks) shows.
- Toru's surname contains the kanji for "leaf" (葉 ha?) and "to disappear" (隠 gakure?), and her first name contains "transparent" (透 tōru?).
- When read as one word, Toru's surname means "hidden in leaves" (葉隠 hagakure?). This is likely a reference to the following quote by G.K. Chesterton: "Where does a wise man hide a leaf? In the forest."
- Toru's known U.A. data are as follows:
- In the First Popularity Poll, Toru ranked 20th, which tied her with Mei Hatsume.
- Toru's Japanese voice actress, Kaori Nazuka, also voices Mt. Lady.
- Toru is the only Class 1-A character whose Quirk has not been formally introduced in the story, despite being always active. Horikoshi has noted this previously, on Volume 2, stating that he has not found the right time for it yet.