Ever since all the stuff in Gunga and Jaku… you've been down in the dumps. I mean, we all felt that way. But still… I had to wonder why you haven't smiled once since Midoriya came back to us. I was just worried…Toru Hagakure about Yuga Aoyama in "Villain"
Toru Hagakure (
Toru is a fairly short girl with a completely invisible body. She is only identifiable through held or worn objects, like pieces of clothing and accessories, and when clothed, her body appears to be slender yet fairly curvaceous. Later, after refracting the light off of Yuga Aoyama's Navel Laser, it's shown she has short, wavy hair, big round eyes, and bushy eyelashes.
Her winter costume includes plain knee-high boots and slightly thicker-looking gloves with a different color scheme and design.
Toru is a bubbly, cheery, and easygoing girl who does most things with an upbeat attitude, even if manipulated to do so. She is very socially eager and appears to like shopping. Her room suggests that she likes plushies and other cute things.
She believes that taking off her clothes during battle is a tactical advantage, much to the awkwardness of those around her. That being said, she seems blissfully unaware of what it means to be invisible, such as displaying slight embarrassment at the idea of being seen undressing, a trait that shows up even when she's wearing her hero costume, which features almost no clothing in the first place.
In general, it appears Toru's invisible body is primarily used as a source of comic relief.
Despite this, Toru has an observant side to her, as she noticed that Yuga had not been his usual self following Izuku Midoriya's return to U.A. and her curiosity led to her discovering that he was a traitor who had (albeit painfully and unwillingly) given intel to All For One. During this, Toru also showed to be emotionally fragile, as after reprimanding Yuga for having betrayed his classmates, she was shown crying on how he had the gall to attend classes with them. She was still crying afterwards and sobbed on Mashirao's shoulder during Yuga's interrogation.
Overall Abilities: Thanks to her Quirk, Invisibility, Toru greatly excels in espionage, making her the stealthiest student in Class 1-A. Toru can easily bypass regular visual detection, making her ideal for ambushes, spy missions, and attack evasions. However, those advantages are only feasible if she devoid herself of clothing and/or equipment, as such objects don't become unseen like the rest of her body. Aside from her stealth capabilities, Toru also possesses a degree of melee-combat abilities. Her primary fighting style involves directly attacking her opponents with a barrage of punches, taking advantage of her total invisibility to launch surprise attacks that are extremely difficult to defend against. She also has good camaraderie, having her comrades run interface against opponents and then using her incognito skills to initiate clandestine assaults, and vice versa. This comradeship allowed Toru and Mezo Shoji to pass their First Term Final Exam, wherein the two were pitted against Snipe.
During the Provisional Hero License Exam, Toru developed photokinetic applications of her Quirk and employed a new Super Move, "Warp Refraction," to effectively stun a large group of rival students. Her abilities eventually garnered the attention of the Equipped Hero: Yoroi Musha, giving Toru the opportunity to intern under the (now former) No. 9 Pro Hero and improve her offensive and defensive abilities.
In addition to the stealth capabilities granted to her by her invisible body, Toru can refract light that passes through her, allowing her to intensify the light into a blinding flash. After her Hero Work-Studies with Yoroi Musha, Toru has further refined this application of her Quirk, achieving the ability to manipulate and redirect light-based attacks, such as Yuga's Navel Laser.
As part of her training, she worked on improving her stealth prowess by remaining undetected from the sensory-efficient Mezo. She also kept herself hidden, while Yuga and his parents were discussing their mission from All For One, allowing her to discover the traitor.
- Warp Refraction (
集 光 屈 折: ハイチーズ Shūkō Kussetsu: Hai Chīzu?): Toru warps sunlight into bright flashes to temporarily blind opponents.
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
- Originally, Toru's costume had more trinkets to it than just a pair of gloves and boots. She was supposed to wear some sort of mask with a smiling face on it, and her gloves were meant to have mirror-like objects tied to them.
- According to Toru's Volume 2 profile:
- Toru was supposed to be a male character at first, but Horikoshi changed her into a female because he thought a girl having an invisible body was a funnier concept. There was also a lack of female characters at the time.
- Toru's favorite food are caramels.
- Toru's favorite things are dokkiri (hidden-camera surprise pranks) shows.
- Toru's surname contains the kanji for "leaf" (葉 ha?) and "to disappear" (隠 gakure?), and her first name contains "transparent" (透 tōru?).
- When read as one word, Toru's surname means "hidden in leaves" (葉隠 hagakure?). This is likely a reference to the following quote by G.K. Chesterton: "Where does a wise man hide a leaf? In the forest."
- "Hagakure" is the name of a book, also known as "The Book of the Samurai" written in Japan in the 1700s during the Edo period when Japan had no domestic or international conflict. It recounts thoughts on how Bushido can be applied in a time of peace. It became popular again during the Pacific War. Perhaps the title is meant to reference a warrior that is hidden, unseen when not needed.
- Toru's known U.A. data are as follows:
- Student No. 16 in Class 1-A.
- Ranked 18th during the Quirk Apprehension Test.
- Ranked 16th in Class 1-A's grades.
- Ranked in the top forty-two of the U.A. Sports Festival First-Year Stage.
- In the first Popularity Poll, Toru ranked 20th, which tied her with Mei Hatsume.
- Toru's Japanese voice actress, Kaori Nazuka, also voices Yu Takeyama.
- Toru is the only Class 1-A character whose Quirk has not been formally introduced in the story, despite being always active. Horikoshi has noted this previously, on Volume 2, stating that he has not found the right time for it yet.
- In the first My Heroine Academia chapter, Toru described her face as "a combination of Yang Guifei and Francis Xavier".
- My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 337.
- My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 336.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 108 and Episode 56.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 256 and Episode 113.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 60 and Episode 34.
- My Hero Academia Manga: Vol. 22, My Heroine Academia
|U.A. High School|
|Class 1-A Students||Denki Kaminari • Eijiro Kirishima • Fumikage Tokoyami • Hanta Sero • Izuku Midoriya • Katsuki Bakugo • Koji Koda • Kyoka Jiro • Mashirao Ojiro • Mezo Shoji • Mina Ashido • Minoru Mineta • Momo Yaoyorozu • Ochaco Uraraka • Rikido Sato • Shoto Todoroki • Tenya Ida • Toru Hagakure • Tsuyu Asui • Yuga Aoyama|
|Class 1-B Students||Hiryu Rin • Ibara Shiozaki • Itsuka Kendo • Juzo Honenuki • Jurota Shishida • Kinoko Komori • Kojiro Bondo • Kosei Tsuburaba • Manga Fukidashi • Neito Monoma • Nirengeki Shoda • Pony Tsunotori • Reiko Yanagi • Sen Kaibara • Setsuna Tokage • Shihai Kuroiro • Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu • Togaru Kamakiri • Yosetsu Awase • Yui Kodai|
|Department of Support||Mei Hatsume • Bibimi Kenranzaki|
|General Department||Hitoshi Shinso • Chikuchi Togeike • Tsutsutaka Agoyamato|
|Second Year Students||Mawata Fuwa|
|Third Year Students||Mirio Togata • Nejire Hado • Tamaki Amajiki • Bibimi Kenranzaki • Yuyu Haya|
|Staff||All Might • Cementoss • Ectoplasm • Eraser Head • Hound Dog • Lunch Rush • Midnight • Nezu • Power Loader • Present Mic • Recovery Girl • Snipe • Thirteen • Vlad King • Gran Torino (Retired)|
|Former Students||All Might • Endeavor • Best Jeanist • Midnight • Eraser Head • Loud Cloud • Present Mic • Mister Blaster|
|Locations||Class 1-A • Class 1-B • Conference Room • Ground Beta • Ground Gamma • Ground Omega • Gym Gamma • Heights Alliance • Lunch Rush Cafeteria • P.E. Grounds • Recovery Girl's Nurse's Office • Sports Festival Stadium • Teachers Lounge • U.A.'s Development Studio • Unforeseen Simulation Joint|