Even if this hero society comes crashing down... even if I rise to rule the underworld... that weight in my heart is never gonna go away. It's why I hate everything. Every living, breathing thing just rubs me the wrong way. So why not destroy it all? Why not destroy everything?Tomura Shigaraki to Daruma Ujiko in "Tomura Shigaraki: Distortion"
He is the leader of the League of Villains, making his first major appearance as one of the main antagonists of the U.S.J. Arc. He was raised by his master, All For One, with the goal to kill All Might, the "Symbol of Peace," and ultimately destroying the society he represents. He soon merged his organization and the Meta Liberation Army to form the Paranormal Liberation Front, becoming its Grand Commander and later inheriting the All For One Quirk.
He's currently fighting for control over his body against All For One, as the two vestiges begin to merge into a new being.
Tomura is a slim man with pale skin, tinged yellow teeth, and wrinkled a great deal around his eyes. His lips are chapped and uneven, a small mole on the right underneath, with visible scars on his right eye and under his lip. He has messy grayish-blue hair of varying lengths, the longest clumps reaching to about his shoulders, left hanging over his face in uneven waves. His eyes and mouth are normally obscured, but when visible, they are usually stretched wide in a rather maniacal manner, their bright red irises very small.
Interestingly, when Tenko was at the age of five, he bore a striking resemblance to Izuku Midoriya, with his blue hair originally being dark black in color as well as having gray eyes instead of red. He also had dried patches of skin around his eyes, though his lips were shown to be healthy in appearance. After his Quirk manifested, his appearance changed giving him a wrinkled face, his hair color to a more light blue, and his eyes slowly turned to red after the first manifestation.
When in his civilian outfit, he always wears plain red sneakers that are similar to Izuku's, along with black pants which expose his ankles, and a matching long-sleeved v-neck shirt. He also wears a plain black jacket over the top with the hood pulled low over his face to hide his identity, and carries one of his disembodied hands in his pocket.
His villain costume sports fourteen embalmed hands, all positioned so they're holding onto him on different parts of his body. These hands were taken from dead individuals and embalmed by Kyudai Garaki, who gave them a zombie-like grayish-blue color and attached to their bases a golden box with two holes drilled into the bottom.
Each pair of these hands originally belonged to an individual killed by Tomura during the time his Quirk first manifested: the one on his neck is his mother's; on his arms, his grandfather's; on his forearms, his grandmother's; on his wrists, his sister's; and the ones on his chest and shoulders are from two unnamed street punks he killed.
The hand that holds and hides Tomura's face, which he sometimes keeps in his pocket, is his father's left hand, called "Father" by him. The right one was accidentally destroyed by him, so Kyudai had to make one to hold on the top of Tomura's head; this hand is connected to his mother's pair through two red cords and later revealed to be from his paternal grandmother, Nana Shimura. All of the hands except one have been either destroyed or lost and discarded. For the rest of the outfit, Tomura just wears his regular black clothes, bar the jacket. He used to wear red tennis shoes, but they were destroyed.
After All For One's arrest, Tomura's hair has gotten longer, and he adopts a hooded leather coat that he wears over his costume. He also added two additional red cords to connect the hands on his shoulders to the hands on his chest. During his fight with Re-Destro, Tomura's left hand was crushed, leaving only his ring and pinky fingers. After the Revival Celebration, Tomura wore a formal suit underneath a red coat similar to Overhaul's, and a temporary leg brace. His right arm and hand were bandaged after having unleashed the destructive true strength of his Decay Quirk, and he wore an orange brace (black in the anime) fitted with prosthetic fingers for his left hand. He also wears a single remaining hand on his face that serves as his iconic mask, as the rest of these hands were destroyed. After his Quirk awakened during the Meta Liberation Army Arc, his hair has also changed color once again, from light blue to white.
During the events of My Hero Academia: Heroes: Rising, Tomura wore a dark red trench coat along with the brace for his left hand, although he is depicted with his original clothes and hair color (likely due to the anime staff not having an adaptation of his updated design for him at the time).
By the time the heroes raid the Jaku General Hospital, Tomura wore a black bodysuit with several mechanical enhancements similar to that of Nine's. He also dons X-Less' cape once he finally awakens from his deep slumber, although the top part of his body suit was destroyed in his battle with Endeavor and his cape was completely incinerated. Tomura also now possesses small holes in his hands as a result of acquiring the "All For One" Quirk. It's also shown he lost his skinny figure in the process and gained a more muscular physique, and his left prosthetic fingers were replaced with a bio-mechanical device.
After the Paranormal Liberation War, his body begins to break apart as a cost of overusing All For One with an incomplete body, resulting in cracks and scars protruding all along his arms and neck, stretching down to his stomach. His eyes also appear to become faded when All For One is in control.
During the fight against Star and Stripe, in which the consciousnesses of Tomura and All For One have begun to fuse into one being, he sports a black formal suit, with sneakers, and a long flowing cloth draped around his neck; the suit representing All For One's desire to present himself properly, and the latter for Tomura's general uncleanliness. His hair also grows long and flowing during this event.
His current outfit now consists of a long sleeved black shirt that is also longer at the bottom, a fingerless black brace on his left hand, black pants, his traditional red shoes, and a long ragged-looking cape. Alongside his long hair, he now possesses the ability to transform his left hand into a grotesque and heavily deformed clump of countless, writhing fingers that branch off one another and vary in size, which is a result of the Quirk Singularity, as his body is now adapting to his vast amount of Quirks.
Tomura has a malevolent and warped personality, considered to be the dark reflection of Izuku Midoriya. He doesn't care for his or almost anyone else's life, having no qualms about performing evil deeds like murdering innocent people. Tomura was initially perceived to be a "man-child": arrogant, selfish, dependent, and demanding, becoming angry if things didn't go his way and likening reality to some sort of video game. Unlike his mentor, Tomura lacks subtlety, preferring to eliminate problems through force. Much like a child, Tomura seemed unable to cope with his own feelings, instead lashing out and abusing both others or himself, tearing at his own neck when he becomes frustrated. This particular meltdown stems from the abuse he suffered from his father and being alone during his childhood, with All For One claiming that it represented his suppressed urge to kill and destroy. A very irritable person at the beginning of the series, Tomura would learn to be more patient and self-controlled in subsequent appearances, as a consequence of multiple failed plans and All For One's arrest.
Tomura is proud of the League of Villains, wanting to prove that his organization has the necessary power to shake society and taking pleasure in mocking those standing in his way. He doesn't tolerate others making light of the League's name and loathes the idea of certain personalities joining him, as was the case with Dabi and Himiko Toga at the beginning, which was made worse by the fact that they were inspired by Stain, who had previously refused membership and overshadowed Tomura's Nomus in terms of media exposure after the Hosu Incident. For similar reasons, he looked down on the Shie Hassaikai for their intentions of ruling the underworld over the League. In the end, however, Tomura can set his pride aside in order to do whatever is needed to accomplish his goals, adopting Stain's ideology to enlist more members to his cause and forming a deal with the Shie Hassaikai for the development of the Quirk-Destroying Drug.
Initially, Tomura seemingly caused destruction just for the sake of it and felt directionless about the League's path forward after Stain's arrest. It would take a fateful meeting with Izuku in a mall for him to develop an epiphany and become aware of his true convictions: to crumble society through All Might's death. Tomura always had a desire to kill All Might, but out of an impulsive expression of anarchy towards a society that hurt him and caused his mental instability. After hearing from Izuku, Tomura realized that All Might is what he hates about both Izuku and Stain, wishing to see them, as well as society as a whole, lose their Symbol of Peace. Following All Might's retirement and during the League of Villains' encounter with the Meta Liberation Army, Tomura's convictions grew from crippling society to completely destroying it, apparently as a result of an innate sense of pain and suffering caused by his past memories. By Tomura's own admission, he hates everything that breathes, displaying an extreme form of nihilism.
Despite Tomura's general disgust of life, there are a select number of people he holds in high esteem. He has a close relationship with his mentor, All For One, the one person who came for his aid when he found himself alone and lost as a child. Tomura holds a great amount of respect and attachment for All For One, always referring to him as "Sensei" and being concerned for his well-being. Incidentally, Tomura happens to carry All For One's family name (Shigaraki), symbolizing a relationship close to father and son. Tomura also had Kurogiri as a trusted confidant and adviser, despite treating him harshly at times. Kurogiri's capture was noted to have made Tomura upset as the latter valued the former's company and abilities. Aside from those two and Kyudai Garaki, who all had a hand in raising him, Tomura is rather distant to his other allies, although he does seem to care about them, enough to prioritize their comfort once he obtained the necessary finances, and becoming enraged when Overhaul killed Magne and destroyed Mr. Compress' arm.
As a child, Tenko was shown to be relatively normal, even kind and compassionate. He held a great love for his family and a strong desire to become a hero someday, not unlike Izuku Midoriya. However, he was also psychologically fragile from the constant abuse he suffered from his hero-hating father, being terrified of his mere presence. Because of this oppressive upbringing and the inaction from the rest of his family, Tenko's mind eventually snapped due to his Quirk manifesting and destroying his household.
At first, Tomura expressed heavy remorse for accidentally killing his family upon losing control of his newfound Quirk. The severed hands that Tomura wears all over himself are the only physical remnants of his dead loved ones, claiming that they make him feel simultaneously sick and calm. Despite his sadness, Tomura experienced a partial relish in his family's demise since he considered them responsible for letting him suffer at his father's will. By Tomura's own admission, he felt cathartic pleasure while ending Kotaro's life as retaliation for his abusive treatment. During his fight with Re-Destro, Tomura overcame his past shackles of guilt after getting his memories back and now looks forward to the end of society, using his childhood feelings to further fuel his hatred.
Despite his past, however, Tomura holds no hatred towards his family, with the exception of his father and paternal grandmother. This is shown when he assured his sister in his visions that he wasn't mad at her for framing him and also assured his mother that he was fine while turning back into a child in front of her, proving that a part of Tomura still cares about his family. However, he was willing to reject their pleas in order to continue the pursuit of his evil conquest, showing that he won't let them hinder his goals.
After gaining the power of All For One, as well as the enhancements to his body, Tomura begins showing traits similar to that of his master, such as a condescending and mocking demeanor, along with a terror-inducing presence and a desire to steal any Quirk that piques his interest, such as One For All or Star and Stripe's New Order. Regardless, he still maintains his nonchalant yet menacing attitude during battle and is capable of showing a savage anger towards his enemies, as seen during his fight against Deku and Eraser Head. Even after having been incinerated and inches away from death, Tomura refuses to give up and vows to destroy the hero society that has caused him so much suffering, believing that his sheer power and determination would see him through.
Despite feeling grateful towards All For One, Tomura outright states to him that he wishes to carve his own legacy and become even greater than his master. However, Tomura quickly begins to detest All For One after learning that his true goals were to use his body as a vessel and take it over permanently. Tomura even went as far as to try and attack All For One’s vestige and later refused to be his master’s “pawn” whilst trying to regain control of his body.
As their time sharing the same consciousness continues, Tomura has shown to have entered a state of identity crisis, being unsure on whether he's actually Tomura Shigaraki, All For One, or even Tenko Shimura. This is shown to be a result of Tomura and All For One's wills merging together, with the elder Shigaraki summarising that they will combine to become a new evil entity altogether, with Tomura's hatred accelerating the process. Despite this, Tomura still continues to fight his former master's control, unwilling to let this happen.
According to Izuku, the latter could hear a crying child deep within Tomura during the bout in One For All’s mental realm. As it turns out, deep within Tomura's vestige lies a visage of Tenko, thinking about Izuku. This suggests that a part of Tomura still wants to be saved and that his previous scared and lonely self isn’t completely gone.
Overall Abilities: Tomura is known to be the most powerful villain in Japan if not the world, surpassing that of All For One himself, contending with Pro Heroes in combat thanks to his physical and analytical skills. As the leader of the League of Villains, Tomura has total command over his powerful subordinates. During the U.S.J. Incident, Tomura had the mettle to briefly take on the formidable Pro Hero Eraser Head, and successfully use his Decay Quirk on the Erasure Hero's right arm. Tomura was even confident that he could take down Izuku, Shoto Todoroki, Katsuki Bakugo, and Eijiro Kirishima, four extremely powerful U.A. High School students, although at the time, didn't know the full extent of the quartet's abilities. Tomura was capable of battling Gigantomachia for half a month, not giving up until he is able to make the behemoth submit. When he faced Re-Destro, and his left hand was partially destroyed, Tomura's prowess had been suddenly enhanced to levels beyond his natural parameters. According to Re-Destro, if Tomura had his newly increased physical parameters during the Kamino Incident, he would've easily taken out at least one or two of the Pro Heroes during that event, even without his Decay Quirk. After a fierce battle, he was not only able to defeat Re-Destro to gain control of the latter's army, but also tame Gigantomachia with his accomplishment. Similar to his master, Tomura's aura is able to instill fear into others, and his mere gaze was enough to paralyze Trumpet's followers, who were under the influence of Incite and given orders to eliminate Tomura. This was seen again when he encountered Izuku and Katsuki, with his mere presence being powerful enough to instill hallucinations of death into both teenagers. After Kyudai Garaki conducts body modifications to Tomura, his overall abilities have surpassed all of the Pro-Heroes to the point where his powers are on par with Toshinori Yagi when the latter had One For All. Due to his immense power Tomura eventually grew to be feared worldwide due to being able to kill the immensely powerful Star and Stripe one of the world's top heroes.
- Enhanced Strength: Tomura seems to be stronger than his build suggests, capable of holding Izuku by choking him with only four fingers while his victim displayed visible difficulty in trying to fight back.
- Enhanced Durability: Tomura was able to withstand a point-blank blast from Katsuki's Explosion Quirk, sustaining little to no damage. He was even capable of battling Gigantomachia for a month and a half, and withstand the behemoth's attacks. This trait carries on to the point where he manages to withstand a brutal beating from a powered-up Re-Destro.
- Enhanced Speed: Tomura appears to be able to move very quickly, which helps him to touch his targets and affect them with minimal contact. He was able to appear before Tsuyu Asui in an instant and see Izuku after the latter had jumped at a speed that rivaled All Might's, immediately reacting afterwards. Only All Might himself was too fast for Tomura to track. Even when he was notably exhausted during the battle against the Meta Liberation Army, he swiftly swung himself atop a wall to avoid a massive onslaught of Army members, to their surprise, before disintegrating many of them in an instant. When he battled Re-Destro, he was able to move so fast with minimal wasted movements, that Re-Destro was taken by surprise by the increase in speed he had obtained.
Keen Intellect: Tomura possesses a sharp mind and is analytical, being able to deduce the workings of his opponents' abilities simply by observing them in action. He quickly deduced Eraser Head's weaknesses in combat and took advantage of them. Tomura has a certain skill for unexpected plans, even when his intentions are apparently clear. After battling Gigantomachia for over a month, Tomura realized that the behemoth has gotten much slower compared to the League of Villains' first encounter with him, and strongly believes that he will soon have Gigantomachia successfully tamed.
As an almost fully merged consciousness of Tomura and All For One's vestige, he possesses all the knowledge, experience, intelligence, and cunning of the original All For One.
Indomitable Will: Stemming from his traumatic past, abuse, and his hatred of hero society, Tomura has a remarkably strong willpower. When fighting Re-Destro, despite the villain's superior strength, Tomura refused to yield, and this determination allowed him to re-awaken the true power of his Quirk. This willpower was enough to strike a sense of fear in Re-Destro, who was single-handedly defeated in battle. Tomura's aura remained frightening enough that his gaze petrified all of Trumpet's followers who were empowered by Incite to kill him. His willpower and hatred of the current society is so strong that even after having his stabilization process interrupted and left biologically dead, he was able to bring himself back to life through the sheer force of his hatred. Despite being overwhelmed by multiple attacks from multiple heroes such as Endeavor, Katsuki, and Izuku, Tomura continued to push through the pain and continued to surpass his limits multiple times throughout the fight. Even when being charred to a crisp by Endeavor's Prominence Burn and barely remaining conscious, Tomura refused to flee and attempted to fight against the remaining heroes with whatever he had left. One of the reasons All For One chose Tomura to receive the All For One Quirk is that Tomura's will and hatred could potentially be strong enough to force One For All to come to him and override the will of the current user and the spirits housed within. While he failed at the initial attempt (whether his hatred/will was insufficient or due to his body being incomplete is unclear), his will was strong enough to begin to erode One For All and start to draw it to him. The spirits within One For All even state that it would be possible for Tomura to steal One For All if his body and will are strong enough.
Bodily Modification: After becoming leader of the Paranormal Liberation Front and earning the respect of Gigantomachia, Kyudai Garaki subjected a willing Tomura to body modification surgery. While the details of this surgery and its effects are unknown, the doctor believes that it will allow Tomura to surpass the powers of One For All. Even before the surgery was finished, a hero as powerful as Mirko was overcome with fear when she sensed him in his surgery capsule to the point that she attempted to smash it, and quickly told the other heroes that Tomura could not be allowed to awaken from the surgery no matter what. Indeed, Tomura's physical abilities have increased so exponentially that, upon his awakening, Endeavor goes as far as to compare him to All Might. The modifications allow him to drastically amplify the power of his already awakened Decay Quirk, giving him the ability to disintegrate masses as large as the entire Jaku Hospital, a portion of the surrounding city and the nearby forest and mountains in one fell swoop. However, because his modification was interrupted before completion, his new body has some drawbacks and will begin to tear if he overexerts himself, as seen when a large tear appeared on Tomura's chest and arm, and even the super regeneration took a moment to kick in.
- Immense Strength: After the surgery, Tomura's natural physical strength was augmented by several levels, allowing him to move freely in the air with only his arm movements. Endeavor went so far as to compare Tomura's strength to All Might, though Dr. Garaki stated that Tomura's strength is not quite on-par with All Might's, since any further remodeling of his body would've overburdened his mind. Even this level of strength was enough to easily overpower both Endeavor and Ryukyu while his Quirks were erased, as well as Deku with 45% of One For All.
- Immense Speed: Tomura's speed was significantly enhanced by the surgery, allowing him to outmaneuver Endeavor and move across Jaku City in very little time, as well as outpace several other heroes, and catch up to Deku and Katsuki. When pushing his body past its limits, his speed increases even more, managing to catch Gran Torino, one of the fastest heroes in the world, and impale his chest before he could react.
- Immense Durability: The modifications to Tomura's body significantly increased his durability, allowing Tomura to withstand Endeavor's strongest attacks. Tomura was also able to take Katsuki's AP Machine-Gun, likening the explosions to mere fireworks. His remarkable durability showed itself when he was able to stay conscious after enduring Katsuki's Grenadier explosion and Endeavor's Vanishing Fist, but more impressively, manage to endure Izuku's Wyoming Smash, all while having his Quirks erased. He was also strong enough to endure multiple smash attacks from Deku at 100% in repeated succession. Perhaps his most remarkable feat of durability is when he was able to withstand Star and Stripe's State-of-the-Art Hypersonic Intercontinental Cruise Punch, an attack with enough power to be seen from the Japanese mainland, although Tomura was forced to bury himself underneath the ground to avoid the full brunt of the blast and had most of his body destroyed by the force of the blast.
- Immense Stamina: Tomura has demonstrated a significant increase in stamina, being able to withstand great pain and continue standing after multiple powerful attacks even without having his Super Regeneration Quirk. Despite being struck by both Katsuki and Endeavor's super moves in succession, Tomura was still able to continue fighting, pushing past his limits and moving faster than before. However, because of the incomplete stabilization, his body momentarily started to break down, with his super regeneration taking a minute to kick in. The stabilization interruption continued to have a toll on his body, as Izuku noted Tomura's regeneration had slowed down even further after taking hits from him at 100%. Even after being pummeled by Deku with multiple smash attacks at 100% and being charred by Endeavor's Prominence Burn, Tomura was able to retain his consciousness and keep fighting.
- Accelerated Growth Rate: Due to both the body modifications and the extra Quirks Tomura has received, his body has begun to mutate to adapt to the immense power he holds. This manifests at first in the missing fingers from his left hand partially regrowing but it can vastly accelerate to produce a monstrous blob of grotesque, writhing fingers of various sizes, through which he can potentially use his Decay for an even more devastating effect. Tomura seemingly has some control over reversing the growth.
During his battle against Re-Destro, Tomura's Quirk underwent what Rikiya describes as reawakening that bolsters the effectiveness and reach of Decay. Allowing him to not only whither away his targets without needing all five fingers, a feat displayed when Tomura used his two remaining digits to partially damage Re-Destro's giant pointer after the latter destroyed three of Tomura's own fingers on his left hand, albeit the effect was much slower and weaker compared to when Tomura uses all five of his digits. But to deteriorate anything his power touches even when it doesn't directly connect with certain abstracts that he's using it on, like when a number of people he never made physical contact with were disintegrated and again when nearly all of Deika City and everything in it was reduced to dust in one go using his one good hand.
After his surgery, Tomura's Quirk became significantly more powerful, allowing him to decay almost a third of Jaku City. Additionally, the power of Decay increased enough that even getting hit with a stray piece of decaying rubble would be enough to kill a person. Not only did Tomura manage to increase Decay's power, but he also managed to obtain a much greater degree of control, allowing Tomura to choose specific targets not to hit with his Decay, which he did to spare several of the Nomu.
All For One (オール・フォー・ワン Ōru Fō Wan?): Tomura's second Quirk is the original version of All For One used by his master. It allows him to steal other people’s Quirks and use them as his own. Just like its counterpart Quirk One For All, this Quirk contains the vestigial will and consciousness of its previous wielder. However unlike One For All, the vestigial will of its previous wielder seeks to usurp Tomura's body using his negative emotions such as anger and hatred as a catalyst. This makes the relation more parasitic than symbiotic unlike its counterpart, thus allowing the elder Shigaraki's vestigial consciousness to take over instead.
- Super Regeneration (
超 再 生Chōsaisei?): Tomura possesses the ability to regenerate from any injuries at high speeds, allowing him to withstand Endeavor's Hellflame.
- Search (サーチ Sāchi?): Tomura possesses Ragdoll's former Quirk, allowing him to view up to one hundred individuals at a time. He can see them from a distance and through obscuring barriers. This Quirk also allows him to identify their weak points.
- Air Cannon (
空 気を 押し 出す Kūki o Oshidasu?): Tomura can fire large blasts of pressurized air from the palms of his hands.
- Radio Waves (
電 波Denpa?): Tomura can disrupt radio waves and cause communicators to malfunction.
- Rivet Stab (鋲突 Byōtotsu?): Tomura creates black tendrils that have red prominent cracked lines from his hands and his spine as an offensive technique, stabbing Endeavor and Katsuki with them.
- Heavy Payload (
重 荷Jūka?): Tomura can seemingly increase the amount of damage being dealt.
- Scatter (
拡 散Kakusan?): Tomura can split up projectiles allowing them to scatter all over.
- Springlike Limbs (
筋 骨 発 条 化Kinkotsu Baneka?): Tomura can coil his muscles, allowing him to enhance his physical strength and push himself through the air.
- Wing: Stolen from a Near High-End Nomu, this Quirk grants Tomura the ability to grow black wings from his back and fly.
- Reflect (
反 射Hansha?): Tomura could reflect attacks back towards his opponents. This Quirk was destroyed by New Order.
- New Order (
新秩序Nyūōdā?): Stolen from Cathleen Bate, this Quirk allowed Tomura to set up to two rules upon his surroundings, manipulating them to his will. However, due to a rule Cathleen imposed on it before it was stolen, it revolted against other Quirks stored within Tomura's body, even destroying some of them, eventually leading to its own self-destruction.
Disembodied Hands: The most characteristic element of Tomura's costume is a set of fourteen disembodied hands, covering his upper body and face. These hands are the remnants of his family, which he accidentally killed when his Decay Quirk manifested for the first time. The main hand on his face is called "Father". The hands were recovered and preserved by Kyudai Garaki, returning them to Tomura when he was rescued by All For One. An additional two sets of hands from two hoodlums were added to his villain costume. They have no other function than help Tomura's mind, who confesses that his hands make him feel calm and at peace, although also cause nausea. During his battle with Re-Destro, all but one of the hands got destroyed and Tomura himself would end up destroying his father's hand that had covered his face as a way to liberate himself from the past. He would wear the remaining hand as his trademark mask, which was later revealed as Nana Shimura's hand. All For One would then use the hand as a way to fully gain control of Tomura's body, as the calming hatred he feels when wearing it gives him more control.
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
- Tomura was initially designed to be creepier, having empty, black eyes and mouth. Aside from those specific features, this design was not very different from his final one. His prototype codename was Sazanka (
沙 惨 禍? lit. "Sand Calamity").
- Tomura's surname contains the kanji for "death" (死 shi?), "handle, grip" (柄 gara?) and "tree" (木 ki?), and his first name contains "funerals" (弔 tomura?). Additionally, his birth name contains the kanji for "intention" (志 shi?), "village" (村 mura?), "revolve" (転 ten?) and "arc" (弧 ko?).
- Tomura's rankings in the Popularity Polls are as follows:
- Tomura ranked 19th in the First Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 16th in the Second Popularity Poll
- Ranked 15th in the Third Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 24th in the Fourth Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 6th place in the Fifth Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 10th place in the Sixth Popularity Poll.
- Horikoshi revealed that he found drawing inexpressive hands extremely difficult. He stated that he was on the verge of tears every week due to having to draw a particular character which we are left to assume is Tomura.
- Horikoshi revealed that Tomura is based on the protagonist of his first oneshot from 2007 titled "Tenko", starring the eponymous boy during war time in feudal Japan.
- Both share the same first name (Tomura's real name is Tenko Shimura).
- Both share the same power to disintegrate anything they touch with their hands.
- Both are orphans, having accidentally killed loved ones with their powers.
- Both are driven by a deep hate for the world and a very intense goal to destroy something in it. For Tomura, it's All Might and the world of heroes, and for Tenko, he wants to destroy all the swords in the world.
- The design and appearance of Tomura when he is young is similar to Tenko's, only with shorter hair.
- He shares his birthday with Naomasa Tsukauchi, Chiyo Shuzenji and Kesagiriman.
- The severed hands that Tomura wears across his body are remnants of the first people he ever killed.
- The hands around his neck came from his mother.
- The hands on his upper arms came from his maternal grandfather.
- The hands on his elbows came from his maternal grandmother.
- The hands on his wrists came from his older sister.
- The hands on his shoulders and sides came from two random men who made Tomura angry.
- The hand that he wears on his face came from his father.
- The hand he wears on the back of his head is a replacement given to him by All For One after he used his Quirk to destroy his father's other hand, later revealed to be the hand of his paternal grandmother, Nana Shimura.
- As a child, Tomura was a late bloomer with his Quirk manifesting at the age of five.
- Tomura can be considered as a dark parallel to Izuku Midoriya. Although My Hero Academia tells the story of how Izuku became the greatest hero, it possibly also focuses on how Tomura will become the greatest villain. Like Izuku, Tomura starts off being rather naïve and insecure of his position and strength, gradually becoming more mature, confident, and powerful as the story continues.
- Additionally, both Tomura and Izuku had similar backgrounds: children determined to become heroes that were bullied, neglected, and ostracized by society with only their respective masters, All For One and All Might, taking pity upon them. These mentors taught them to use their origins and pasts as motivations to become greater, although All For One's reasoning for helping Tomura was purely selfish.
- Tomura is one of the few people revealed to be descendants of the 3 most infamous villains: All For One, Destro, and Oji Harima. In Tomura's case, he is the adopted son of All For One, the only descendant not blood related to their predecessor.
- Tomura technically has the most Quirks in the series. When he attained the All For One Quirk, he gained every Quirk that All For One had stolen while also possessing his own Decay Quirk, although Tomura has not been seen using all of the Quirks at his disposal as of yet. However, this no longer applies after New Order has destroyed several Quirks inside his body.
- Tomura’s giant mutated form after his battle with Star and Stripe is similar to the final, grotesque form of Tetsuo Shima, the main antagonist of the infamous manga series Akira.
- In the manga, Tomura's speech bubbles are drawn with jagged edges, but after regaining his memories, they are drawn normally. This is reflected in the English dub of the anime with Tomura's voice being light and raspy, but after regaining his memories, it becomes less raspy and gets a slightly deeper tone to it.
- In the dub, his voice is also shown to become raspy as a child after he starts to give into his urge to destroy.
- (To himself) "Create a world without All Might. And cause enough destruction to show them all how fragile their justice really is. From this day forward… that's my conviction. It's all about All Might."
- (To Overhaul) "Now you're a useless, helpless, Quirkless wonder. All that hard work you put in! It's mine now!! Your life's gonna be a real nail-bitter now... not that you've got any nails left to bite. You should just sit back and watch!! Have a nice life!! Because this... is our time!"
- (In regards to his mask) "These sorts of things too... all unnecessary."
- "You Heroes pretend to be society's guardians. For generations, you pretended not to see those you couldn't protect and swept their pain under the rug. It's tainted everything you've built. That means your system's all rotten from the inside with maggots crawling out. It all builds up, little by little, over time. You've got the common trash, all too dependent on being protected. And the brave guardians who created the trash that need coddling. It's a corrupt, vicious cycle. Everything I've witnessed, this whole system you've built has always rejected me. Now I'm ready to reject it. That's why I destroy. That's why I took this power for myself. Simple enough? I don't care if you understand. That's what makes us heroes and villains."
|League of Villains|
|Current Leader||Tomura Shigaraki|
|Recruits||Dabi • Himiko Toga • Magne • Moonfish • Mr. Compress • Muscular • Mustard • Spinner • Twice|
|Underlings||Axer • Berserker • Chomper • Dragon • Four-Armed Zealot • Giant Palm • Gorilla • Gravitational Spring • Greedy Gaping Jaw • Hanzo Suiden • Hard Head • Invisible Wall • Martial Hair • Minotaurus • Mummy • Muscle Man • Needle Hair • One-Eyed Green Dragon • Oxy-Man • Sharkyonara • Sharp Blade • Sickle Claw • Spike • Steel Bulwark • Stitched Giant • Tesla • Thousand Eyes • Varanus • Victor • Yashamaru|
|Standard Nomu||U.S.J Nomu • Hosu Nomus • Chainsaw Nomu • Johnny|
|High-End Nomu||Chubs • Eleph • Hood • Ribby • Robot • Woman • Six Unnamed|
|Associates||Giran • Nine|
|Original Members||All For One • Kyudai Garaki • Gigantomachia • Nomu • Kurogiri|
|Locations||Haibori Woods • Jaku General Hospital • League of Villains Bar • Nomu Factory|
|Paranormal Liberation Front|
|Grand Commander||Tomura Shigaraki|
|Lieutenants||Dabi • Geten • Himiko Toga • Mr. Compress • Re-Destro • Skeptic • Spinner • Trumpet • Twice|
|Other Members||Kyudai Garaki|
|Nomu||Lower Tier (Mocha • Johnny) • Near High-Ends • High Ends (Chubs • Eleph • Ribby • Robot • Woman • Six Unnamed)|
|Associates||All For One • Cider House • Dictator • Ending • Giran • Hawks • Overhaul • Lady Nagant • Moonfish • Muscular • Starservant|
|Locations||Gunga Mountain Villa • Jaku General Hospital|
|Families and Civilians|
|Asui Family||Ganma Asui • Beru Asui • Tsuyu Asui • Samidare Asui • Satsuki Asui|
|Bakugo Family||Masaru Bakugo • Mitsuki Bakugo • Katsuki Bakugo|
|Ida Family||Tensei Ida • Tenya Ida|
|Jiro Family||Kyotoku Jiro • Mika Jiro • Kyoka Jiro|
|Midoriya Family||Hisashi Midoriya • Inko Midoriya • Izuku Midoriya|
|Shimano Family||Mahoro Shimano • Katsuma Shimano|
|Shigaraki Family||All For One • Yoichi Shigaraki • Tomura Shigaraki|
|Shimura Family||Mako • Chizuo • Nana Shimura • Kotaro Shimura • Nao Shimura • Hana Shimura • Tenko Shimura|
|Takami Family||Tomie Takami • Keigo Takami|
|Todoroki Family||Enji Todoroki • Rei Todoroki • Toya Todoroki • Fuyumi Todoroki • Natsuo Todoroki • Shoto Todoroki|
|Tsukauchi Family||Naomasa Tsukauchi • Makoto Tsukauchi|
|Shield Family||David Shield • Melissa Shield|
|Soul Family||Eddie Soul • Rody Soul • Roro Soul • Lala Soul|
|Haimawari Family||Shoko Haimawari • Koichi Haimawari|
|Oguro Family||Iwao Oguro • Tamao Oguro|
|Skyline Family||Christopher Skyline • Pamela|
|Civilians||Aorio Kuraishisu • Daikaku Miyagi • Eri • Gantetsu • Hikage Shinomori • Hime • Ichimoku Samazu • Ikkaku • Jube Namimaru • Komari Ikoma • Kota Izumi • Luminescent Baby • Miyashita • Moko Tamashi • Public Safety Commission President • Rin Yaritezawa • Saito • Samuel Abraham • Sho • Takuto • Tamashiro • Taneo Tokuda • Teruo Hazukashi • The Mother of Quirks • Tsubasa • Untenmaru Kurumada • Yokumiru Mera|