He's going after me...! I'm his natural prey! You would think that, Class A. This psychological trap was set... before the match even began! This's how I work.Shihai Kuroiro in "Operation New Improv Moves!"
Shihai Kuroiro (
Shihai is a tall young man with fluffy white hair and black eyes, which are long and thin in shape. His most prominent feature is his pitch black skin, its unusual color most likely due to the Quirk he possesses, and his face usually holds an unsure or irritated expression.
His hero costume consists of a simple black jumpsuit with light shoes and a large wristband on his left arm with three rectangular indentations.
Shihai appears to have a crush on Kinoko Komori, as he nervously averts his eyes and stammers while speaking to her and celebrates internally when she praises him in the Joint Training Battle. He's also seen standing jealously behind her while she talks to Fumikage. Shihai struggles to talk to girls in general and tends to think they have a crush on him if they talk to him. It is also mentioned he has a crush on her in the Ultra Analysis books.
Overall Abilities: Shihai may not be the close quarters combat type, but he makes up for it with the great handle he has on his Quirk. In combat, Shihai uses his Black Quirk to hide from enemy attacks or to execute ambushes. Once merged with a black-colored object, Shihai can move through its whole structure at very high speeds, even while carrying a person. Overall, Shihai has proven himself to be a very formidable individual that greatly excels in espionage, as well as the stealthiest student in Class 1-B. During the Joint Training Battle, Shihai used his Quirk efficiency to briefly take control of Fumikage's Dark Shadow, and catch the Jet-Black Hero by surprise.
Tactical Intellect: Shihai has been shown to possess incredible ingenuity in battle. Before the second match of the Joint Training, he devised an effective strategy against the opposing team—Fumikage, specifically. By taking advantage of the fact that both he and Fumikage have darkness-based Quirks, Shihai intentionally made himself Fumikage's primary target. Shihai even made use of the industrial piping of Ground Gamma to make it impossible for the opposing team to ascertain his location. This proved to be an impeccable strategy during the match and was effectively employed in conjunction with the camouflage capabilities of his Black Quirk. Using his incredible speed in unison with the narrow complexity of Ground Gamma as well as taking into account the "umbilical cord" of Dark Shadow getting in the opposing team's way, Shihai made a highly strategic attempt to elude his rival. However, Shihai didn’t anticipate Fumikage's "Black Fallen Angel" technique and the speed it granted him, which allowed Fumikage to eventually catch up to him.
With further training, he can now move said black things upon possession, although this is limited to entities that are normally capable of moving. As such, he was able to merge into Fumikage's Dark Shadow and briefly take control over it to attack Fumikage.
- Enhanced Speed: When he is merged with the darkness, Shihai demonstrates the ability to move at great speed, such as when he managed to take Yuga Aoyama prisoner before his teammates could react. He was also able to evade the nets thrown by Momo Yaoyorozu by leaping into the shadow of a neighboring pipe.
- Darkseek (ダークシーク Dākushīku?): While emerged into a black substance allows him to move around and capture opponents in a sneak attack.
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
- Shihai's favorite food is squid ink pasta.
- Shihai shares this trait with Mezo Shoji, who is also fond of the dish.
- His favorite things are taboos.
- Shihai's surname contains the kanji for "black" (黒 kuro?) and "color" (色 iro?), and his first name contains "branch" (支 shi?) and "distribution" (配 hai?).
- Put together, the kanji for his first name means "domination, control, guidance" (支配 shihai?).
- Shihai's Hero name "Vantablack" is based on a substance that is known to absorb more than 99.9% of light, making it one of the darkest substances in the world and causing it to appear as nothing but a black void.
- In the localized version of the anime, Shihai's Hero name is presented as Vantadark. This is likely due to "Vantablack" being a trademarked name, with the rights for its artistic use being exclusive to the sculptor Anish Kapoor.
- Shihai and Fumikage Tokoyami share a few similarities with each other:
- Both enjoy dark concepts.
- Both have a penchant for dramatic speech.
- Their Quirks, Dark Shadow and Black, are darkness-based, which share the function of being more effective in darkness, as well as the weakness for being less effective when exposed to light.
- Their hero names or epithets contain the word "Black."
- Both were born with black-colored physiology.
- Shihai shares his birthday with Death Arms.
- Shihai's Japanese voice actor, Kōhei Amasaki, also voices Neito Monoma.
- Shihai's English voice actor, Howard Wang, is married to Ms. Joke's English voice actor, Amber Lee Connors.
- My Hero Academia: Ultra Archive: The Official Character Guide.
- My Hero Academia Manga: Vol. 21.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 201 and Episode 94.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 217 and Episode 100.
- My Hero Academia: Ultra Analysis: The Official Character Guide.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 199 and Episode 93.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 198 and Episode 93.
|U.A. High School|
|Class 1-A Students||Denki Kaminari • Eijiro Kirishima • Fumikage Tokoyami • Hanta Sero • Izuku Midoriya • Katsuki Bakugo • Koji Koda • Kyoka Jiro • Mashirao Ojiro • Mezo Shoji • Mina Ashido • Minoru Mineta • Momo Yaoyorozu • Ochaco Uraraka • Rikido Sato • Shoto Todoroki • Tenya Ida • Toru Hagakure • Tsuyu Asui • Yuga Aoyama|
|Class 1-B Students||Hiryu Rin • Ibara Shiozaki • Itsuka Kendo • Juzo Honenuki • Jurota Shishida • Kinoko Komori • Kojiro Bondo • Kosei Tsuburaba • Manga Fukidashi • Neito Monoma • Nirengeki Shoda • Pony Tsunotori • Reiko Yanagi • Sen Kaibara • Setsuna Tokage • Shihai Kuroiro • Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu • Togaru Kamakiri • Yosetsu Awase • Yui Kodai|
|Department of Support||Mei Hatsume • Bibimi Kenranzaki|
|General Department||Hitoshi Shinso • Chikuchi Togeike • Tsutsutaka Agoyamato|
|Second Year Students||Mawata Fuwa|
|Third Year Students||Mirio Togata • Nejire Hado • Tamaki Amajiki • Bibimi Kenranzaki • Yuyu Haya|
|Staff||All Might • Cementoss • Ectoplasm • Eraser Head • Hound Dog • Lunch Rush • Midnight • Nezu • Power Loader • Present Mic • Recovery Girl • Snipe • Thirteen • Vlad King • Gran Torino (Retired)|
|Former Students||All Might • Endeavor • Best Jeanist • Midnight • Eraser Head • Loud Cloud • Present Mic • Mister Blaster|
|Locations||Class 1-A • Class 1-B • Conference Room • Ground Beta • Ground Gamma • Ground Omega • Gym Gamma • Heights Alliance • Lunch Rush Cafeteria • P.E. Grounds • Recovery Girl's Nurse's Office • Sports Festival Stadium • Teachers Lounge • U.A.'s Development Studio • Unforeseen Simulation Joint|