When I saw him struggling, with the odds stacked against him... it got me thinking... Who protects the heroes when they need protecting?Ochaco Uraraka about Izuku Midoriya in "That Which Is Inherited, Part 2"
Ochaco Uraraka (
Ochaco is a short girl of a slender yet curvaceous figure. She is fair-skinned with a perpetual blush on her cheeks. Her eyes are large and round, their irises a warm auburn brown, with rather thick upper eyelashes, two longer and more prominent ones protruding outwards on either side and fewer but more individually pronounced lower eyelashes.
Shoulder-length and about the same color as her eyes, her hair is bobbed and curved inwards at the ends, two longer clumps taking the same shape on either side of her face, and short bangs that reach roughly a quarter of the way down her forehead. On the top inner segment of each of her fingers, she has a small, pinkish pad that's slightly darker than the rest of her skin, somewhat resembling the toe of a cat or a dog’s paw, which she uses when activating and deactivating her Quirk.
During school, she wears the regular U.A. uniform, which consists of a gray dress jacket with green stripes: the thin one below the tick one, two pockets and gold buttons, a white dress shirt, a red tie, a black pleated skirt, black tights and brown slip-on shoes instead of the usual knee-high socks worn by her other female classmates.
Her hero costume consists of a skin-tight black full-body suit with a pale pink design down the middle of her torso, two black circles on her chest, and a black rectangle below her waist, running between her legs. There are two more pink patches over her shoulders, both cut off by darker pink armbands that match the thick choker around her neck.
She has circular wrist guards, a dark pink handle on the back of each one, wide knee-high boots with magenta soles and a two-piece belt around her waist a circle embedded into the center where the pieces join up, a helmet with a tinted visor sometimes worn on her head, all of which are the same pale pink color. The accessories are designed to press her acupuncture points, and the skin tightness of her costume is apparently an error due to her not being specific in her design request.
Her costume gets an upgrade during the Hero Work-Studies. The belt around her waist has been altered. Her arm gauntlets have been changed and with rings protruding on the side, and are now able to shoot grappling hooks. She no longer has a glass visor in front of her face.
Other students have described Ochaco as "the most laid back girl" among her class, being very bubbly and kind of an airhead at times. She is often incredibly blunt without being aware of it. Similar to Izuku Midoriya, Ochaco's reactions tend to be exaggerated and humorous: She often becomes amused at certain personality traits and quirks others exhibit, bursting into laughter at times, which she tries to suppress.
Ochaco is a very warm, lively individual who thinks about everything positively, though she is objective enough to see flaws and virtues. She is empathetic in general, friendly to those she meets, and will try to help or defend anyone who is kind to her or who needs assistance. Ochaco seems to be very good at reading people, understanding the reasons for Izuku and Katsuki Bakugo’s rivalry, and being the first to notice when the usually collected Tsuyu Asui was upset. Her empathy and kindness are also seen in how well she gets along with her classmates. She is on good terms with everyone and is particularly close friends with several members of the class, including Izuku, Tenya Ida, Tsuyu, and so on.
Despite her usually cheery and sometimes ditzy demeanor, Ochaco can take on an extremely determined, focused, and somewhat intimidating attitude when the situation calls for it. This side of her personality can come as a surprise to those who are used to her generally bubbly nature, and it tends to appear during competitive situations like the U.A. Sports Festival. While she is shown to be surprisingly strategic, she isn't above making some impulsive or reckless decisions. When it comes to her chosen path as a Hero, Ochaco is unwavering and dislikes being underestimated, even in the face of an overwhelming force.
Coming from a poor household, Ochaco tends to become easily excited or surprised over little things, even losing her composure when faced with actual luxury, to the point of nearly fainting. Bonus materials have depicted her as frugal and occasionally stingy, since she goes to extreme lengths to save money, including sleeping so she doesn't waste oxygen or skipping meals in order to save food. Ochaco's parents are her main drive to becoming a hero, and she desires above all else to earn money in order to give them a comfortable life. She is brazenly honest about her priorities and doesn't hide her pursuit of heroism being in large part due to money, despite her embarrassment over admitting so. While money was a deciding factor in her decision to become a hero, Ochaco dreamed of becoming one prior to realizing the extent of her parent's monetary struggles, as she admired their capacity to bring smiles to people's faces.
In terms of heroism, Ochaco has shown more preference towards rescue, being a fan of Thirteen for her expertise in the area. She is aware of her physical limitations, deciding to choose the combat-oriented hero Gunhead for her internship in order to increase her fighting repertoire. Consequently, Ochaco developed a new sense of battle awareness and has become a more instinctive fighter.
Ochaco is also greatly inspired by her classmates, especially Izuku, whom she finds to be greatly admirable for both his strength and compassion. Ochaco has developed a crush on him due to this and their close friendship, resulting in her attempts to follow his example, for better or for worse. While he inspires her, Ochaco also acknowledges that heroism takes priority over her romantic feelings, and does her best to continue to grow while keeping them in check. Izuku has also caused her to consider the question of who protects heroes when they are in need since he continually throws himself into dangerous situations; this prominently shows how deeply Ochaco cares about him and others.
Additionally, Ochaco's feelings for Izuku also result in her having an occasional and subtle jealous side, which tends to be present when girls get close to Izuku or converse highly with him. This is best displayed during his meetings and interactions with Mei Hatsume and Melissa Shield. Despite this, Ochaco is not at all spiteful and often tries to hide or dismiss this feeling whenever it appears.
Overall Abilities: At first glance, Ochaco doesn't seem like one of the strongest combatants, but over the course of her time at U.A. High School, she has drastically improved her combat prowess to become a very capable combatant. Her abilities earned her 3rd place in the U.A. Entrance Exam, and 10th place in the Quirk Apprehension Test. Ochaco's main battle tactic consists of getting close to her opponent and using her Quirk, Zero Gravity, to directly affect them. This causes her targets to continuously float up and lose their footing, drastically inhibiting their fighting capabilities. Whenever she isn't facing an opponent in close-quarters combat, Ochaco often takes advantage of ravaged areas by using her Quirk to gather wreckage without an opponent noticing, all while exploiting the collateral damage of ensued destruction. Ochaco can release floating rubble on enemies as a projectile attack, or remove the weight of certain heavy structures, holding onto them to be used as an improvised melee weapon. Ochaco can further use Zero Gravity to remove her own weight to increase her agility and create decoys by making objects levitate above the ground. Ochaco's overall abilities make her one of the strongest female students in her class.
During the U.S.J. Incident, Ochaco was able to temporarily immobilize Kurogiri, a highly capable villain, thereby giving Hanta Sero and Rikido Sato an opening to subdue the villain even further. Ochaco has also proven her mettle at the U.A. Sports Festival, when she was pitted against Katsuki, one of the strongest students in Class 1-A. Despite having a disadvantage at close range, and knowing Katsuki's abilities far exceeded her own, Ochaco managed to catch him by surprise a few times during their battle, as well as pressure him into using his full power. Following the Sports Festival, she trained under the Battle Hero: Gunhead to improve her hand-to-hand combat skills, becoming an even more formidable individual. Ochaco also developed keen senses and quick reflexes, as she was able to discern when Himiko Toga was attempting to attack her and reacted quickly enough to dodge and pin the villain to the ground.
Ochaco's abilities garnered the attention of Nejire Hado, the third strongest student of U.A. High School's Big 3, who recommended both Ochaco and Tsuyu to intern alongside her under the tutelage of Ryukyu, the No. 10 (formerly No. 9) Pro Hero. At the beginning the Shie Hassaikai Raid, the Ryukyu Squad acted as the first line of defense against Rikiya Katsukame of the Eight Bullets and were able to successfully subdue him. During the final round of the Joint Training Battle, Ochaco was able to incapacitate the unpredictable Neito Monoma, having capitalized on the latter's attempt to replicate Izuku's Quirk. When an immobilized Neito attempted to use a copied Poltergeist to launch a metal pipe at Ochaco, her quick reflexes allowed her to effortlessly dodge the surprise attack. Afterward, Ochaco was able to swiftly defeat both Reiko Yanagi and Yui Kodai, with a single attack each.
- Gunhead Martial Arts (ガンヘッド マーシャル アーツ Gan Heddo Māsharu Ātsu?): When she worked under Gunhead, Ochaco was trained in martial arts in order to attack at close range more effectively, benefiting her Quirk in combat. She has mastered several forms of grappling, take-downs, and throws by using force, including her opponents' force against themselves. Her skill is enough to easily dispatch an opponent who tries to stab her and incapacitate them, as shown with Thirteen, and Himiko Toga, a dangerous villain. Ochaco has developed a few moves that she is able to use in conjunction with her Quirk.
- Enhanced Stamina: Through intense training, Ochaco obtained an impressive amount of stamina. After having her stamina siphoned by a Trigger-enhanced Rikiya, Ochaco was still able to hold her own against the Yakuza member for 20 minutes until the Trigger drug wore off, allowing the Ryukyu Squad to defeat him once and for all.
Tactical Intellect: While Ochaco isn't the most academically efficient of her class, she makes up for it with her strategic mind and her ability to deduce an enemy's weaknesses and combat style soon after the battle begins. Ochaco likely developed this to help cover for her initial lack of direct combat abilities. When Kurogiri was attempting to subdue Tenya Ida, Ochaco took notice of the villain's neck armor, realized it was a weak point, and exploited it, allowing Hanta and Rikido to briefly subdue the shrouded villain, and giving Tenya the chance to seek reinforcements from U.A. High. Her strategic skill is sometimes doubted by, or accredited to others, and this is hinted at by Katsuki who remembered her being friends with Izuku from her attempted Meteor Storm, and assumed he was the one responsible for advising her. On the contrary, Ochaco had demonstrated great strategic ability on her own merit, as seen by her declining Izuku's offer for help during the Sports Festival. Katsuki himself noted that it was a close call for him when he had to use his full power to neutralize Ochaco's strategy, implying that if he hadn’t taken notice of her Meteor Storm technique, Ochaco would’ve defeated him. She was also able to discern that the watches on Neito's Hero costume is how the latter keeps track of the time limits of the Quirks he has copied.
Zero Gravity (
Her Quirk is good for restraint, as those affected are unlikely to fight back since they will keep floating upwards until they are released. Ochaco takes advantage of ravaged areas to gather wreckage while also exploiting the consequences of a destructive Quirk. She can easily clean up disaster zones while simultaneously figuring out the timing of her movements so as not to damage others.
The main drawback of Ochaco's Quirk is that if the upper weight limit (around three tons) is exceeded, or if Ochaco floats herself, she will suffer from severe nausea. Through intense training, Ochaco considerably reduced resultant nausea and increased her weight limit, as well as developed her ability to float herself for short periods of time without becoming nauseous.
- Skill Release (
解 除Kaijo?): Ochaco can press her fingertips together and make whatever she has touched stop floating. This move is first used on Villain Bots, and when she saved Izuku from falling to his death, at the U.A. Entrance Exam.
- Meteor Storm: After floating a large quantity of rubble surrounding her, Ochaco can collect the collaterally damaged structures, forming a giant meteor of debris above her opponents, which she then causes to fall. She first used this move during her match against Katsuki.
- Meteor Fafrotskies (メテオファフロッキーズ Meteo Fafurokkīzu?): In conjunction with Tsuyu, the two rise and throw several pieces of debris at the targets. It is a stronger, multi-ranged version of Meteor Storm. This move was first used against two villains with Gigantification Quirks during the two heroes' internship.
- Zero Satellites (ゼロ・サテライツ Zero Sateraitsu?): Being knocked towards some nearby debris, Ochaco floats it and with the addition of her grappling hooks, attacking her opponent by slamming the debris straight at them.  It is close-range version of Meteor Storm. This was first used against Himiko after being lured into an abandoned house.
- Comet Home Run (
彗星ホームラン Suisei Hōmuran?): After touching some rubble and a pillar to make them weightless, Ochaco uses the pillar to forcefully hit the rubble at her enemy. This move is first used to distract Tenya during the Battle Trial.
- Gravity Plus: Using Gunhead Martial Arts, after touching her opponent to make them float, Ochaco then grabs them by the arm and throws them over her shoulder to the ground. This move is first used to defeat a smuggler during the second Hero Work-Studies.
Hero Costume: All aspects of Ochaco's Hero Costume were made for the sole purpose of helping Ochaco minimize the negative effects of her Quirk.
- Uraraka Helmet (うららかメット Uraraka Metto?): This equipment reduces the stimulation of the semicircular canals located inside each ear.
- Uraraka Wrists (うららかリスト Uraraka Risuto?): This equipment's interior contains a device that clamps down and releases like a blood pressure gauge, stimulating the pressure points around the wrist area that suppress nausea. They have recently been upgraded to include a number of grappling hooks, inspired by Blackwhip.
- Uraraka Neck (うららかネック Uraraka Nekku?): This equipment stimulates the pressure points around the neck area, thereby reducing headaches.
- Uraraka Leg (うららかレッグ Uraraka Reggu?): This equipment's design was to break her fall from elevation. The sole at her toes is equipped with a shock-absorbing cushion and her heel contains a reinforced spring to soften the shock.
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
- In a prototype concept, Ochaco was originally "Yu Takeyama," possessing both the identity "Mt. Lady" and the Gigantification Quirk. This was scrapped because the author thought that a main character having such a Quirk would be too troublesome for her. Her original name, Quirk (along with it's abilities) and superhero identity were later instead given to another character who also filled her role in Chapter 1 and her old appearance had been given to Yui Kodai, who has a similar name and Quirk as well.
- While her name was spelled as 'Ochako' in a character illustration on the official manga website, it is spelled as Ochaco on both the anime website and PVs.
- According to Ochaco's Volume 1 profile:
- Ochaco's bob hair and dialect are parts of her schoolgirl charm.
- Ochaco's favorite thing is the starry sky.
- Ochaco loves Japanese food, especially mochi.
- Kohei Horikoshi describes Ochaco as "honest".
- Horikoshi is proud of the name he came up for her.
- Ochaco's rankings in the Popularity Polls are as follows:
- Ranked 4th in the First Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 10th in the Second Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 9th in the Third Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 12th in the Fourth Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 8th in the Fifth Popularity Poll.
- Ochaco's hero name, Uravity (ウラビティ Urabiti?), comes from Gravity (グラビティ Gurabiti?) without the "g", and can be derived from her full name by combining Ura (麗 urara?), bi (日?) (which can also be read as ka), and "tea" (茶, read as cha in her name).
- Ochaco's surname contains the kanji for "beautiful, lovely" (麗 urara?) and "day" (日 ka?), and her first name contains "tea" (お茶 ocha?) and "child" (子 ko?).
- Ochaco's known U.A. data is as follows:
- Student No. 5 in Class 1-A.
- Ranked 3rd in the U.A. Entrance Exam.
- Ranked 10th at Shota's Quirk Apprehension Test.
- Her fifty-meter dash record is 7.15 seconds. Her previous record was 7.28 in middle school.
- Her softball throw record is infinite.
- Ranked 13th in Class 1-A's mid-term grades.
- Ranked in the Top 16 of the U.A. Sports Festival First-Year Stage.
- Ochaco received a total of twenty nominations from Pro Heroes for her U.A. Sports Festival performance, making her the 8th most nominated Class 1-A student.
- She shares her birthday with Hinata Hyuga from Naruto, another Weekly Shonen Jump series.
- Interestingly, both characters are known to have a crush on their series' respective main characters of their respective universes.
- Ochaco still owns a flip-phone, while all of her classmates own smartphones.
- Ochaco and Katsuki share the same costume designer.
- Ochaco's Japanese voice actor, Ayane Sakura, also voices Reiko Yanagi. Her English voice actor, Luci Christian, also voices Chiyo Shuzenji as of Season 2.
- (To Izuku and Tenya) "So I'm gonna be a hero. I'll make that money… so that my mom and dad can have easier lives."
- (To Izuku and Tenya) "I said it would be easier to team up with friends, but now that I think about it, I might've been trying to rely on you again. That's why when Ida said he was challenging you, I grew a little ashamed of myself... Everyone is giving all they can, which only makes it fair for me to do the same... So, we will meet in the finals!"
- (To Katsuki) "It is almost like... You are scared, so you want to keep distance from him, and for that, you act so menacing..."
- (To her classmates) "Let's all work hard together and laugh again!"
|U.A. High School|
|Class 1-A Students||Denki Kaminari • Eijiro Kirishima • Fumikage Tokoyami • Hanta Sero • Izuku Midoriya • Katsuki Bakugo • Koji Koda • Kyoka Jiro • Mashirao Ojiro • Mezo Shoji • Mina Ashido • Minoru Mineta • Momo Yaoyorozu • Ochaco Uraraka • Rikido Sato • Shoto Todoroki • Tenya Ida • Toru Hagakure • Tsuyu Asui • Yuga Aoyama|
|Class 1-B Students||Hiryu Rin • Ibara Shiozaki • Itsuka Kendo • Juzo Honenuki • Jurota Shishida • Kinoko Komori • Kojiro Bondo • Kosei Tsuburaba • Manga Fukidashi • Neito Monoma • Nirengeki Shoda • Pony Tsunotori • Reiko Yanagi • Sen Kaibara • Setsuna Tokage • Shihai Kuroiro • Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu • Togaru Kamakiri • Yosetsu Awase • Yui Kodai|
|Department of Support||Mei Hatsume • Bibimi Kenranzaki|
|General Department||Hitoshi Shinso • Chikuchi Togeike • Tsutsutaka Agoyamato|
|Second Year Students||Mawata Fuwa|
|Third Year Students||Mirio Togata • Nejire Hado • Tamaki Amajiki • Bibimi Kenranzaki • Yuyu Haya|
|Staff||All Might • Cementoss • Ectoplasm • Eraser Head • Hound Dog • Lunch Rush • Midnight • Nezu • Power Loader • Present Mic • Recovery Girl • Snipe • Thirteen • Vlad King • Gran Torino (Retired)|
|Former Students||All Might • Endeavor • Best Jeanist • Midnight • Eraser Head • Loud Cloud • Present Mic • Mister Blaster|
|Locations||Class 1-A • Class 1-B • Conference Room • Ground Beta • Ground Gamma • Ground Omega • Gym Gamma • Heights Alliance • Lunch Rush Cafeteria • P.E. Grounds • Recovery Girl's Nurse's Office • Sports Festival Stadium • Teachers Lounge • U.A.'s Development Studio • Unforeseen Simulation Joint|