You're getting a top-notch education at a famous school. At least use some strategy. If not... you're barely worth killing.Mustard to Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu in "Drive It Home, Iron Fist!"
Mustard (マスタード Masutādo?) is a C-rank villain affiliated with the League of Villains and a member of the organization's Vanguard Action Squad. He and the rest of his team serve as the main antagonists of the Forest Training Camp Arc.
Mustard is a skinny young man with short, wavy, light brown hair, tan skin and brown eyes. He wears a black gakuran school uniform along with teal gloves and white shoes. Mustard sports a green gas mask that completely covers his face, attached to two oxygen tanks that he carries on his back.
Mustard has been shown to be pragmatic. He believes that it is very important to wait until the right time before striking. He believes that function is more important than style when it comes to support gear and he scolded Himiko Toga for thinking otherwise. He believes that no matter how impressive a person's Quirk is, it doesn't change the fact that they're still only human.
He has also been shown to be exceptionally merciless. He brought a gun to the Vanguard Action Squad's raid on the forest training camp and tried to kill both Tetsutetsu and Itsuka with it.
Mustard seems to bear jealousy and resentment towards U.A. students, as he constantly mocked Itsuka Kendo and Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu for being "pitifully simple", calling them too straightforward and lamenting how they are "pampered by the world" due to their school's reputation alone. He claims that such things are what's wrong with the world.
He is very proud of himself, his Quirk, his skills, and his accomplishments. Because of this, he has a tendency to boast.
Overall Abilities: Mustard is a capable villain because of his intelligence. He has a good grasp on the capabilities of his Quirk and was able to use them to compete with two U.A. students in a fight at the same time. However, Mustard is not a strong combatant without the use of a weapon and his quirk. He does not seem to possess any hand-to-hand combat skills and relies on the use of his gun to inflict damage.
Skilled Marksmanship: Mustard appears to be a proficient marksman, able to destroy Tetsutetsu's mask with a single, precise shot. His ability to sense the location of enemies within the gas he creates assists his targeting.
Mustard has to continually produce the gas and it will quickly disappear if he stops. He is also not immune to his own gas and needs to wear a gas mask in order to use it.
|Attack Range||5/6 A|
Gas Mask: Mustard wears a green gas mask attached to an oxygen tank. He carries the tank on his back and uses the mask to protect himself from the effects of his own quirk.
38 Revolver: Mustard carries a small handgun and bullets with him.
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
- His villain name comes from Sulfur mustard, better known as "Mustard Gas", which was infamously deployed in World War I and is further referenced by his mask and helmet taking inspiration from the era.
- Mustard's mask and helmet design may be a reference to Oshii Mamoru's Kerberos saga, itself taking inspiration from German World War 1 & 2 gear such as the Stahlhelm.
- Mustard's Japanese voice actor, Kiyotaka Furushima, also voices Hanta Sero.
- Mustard's English voice actor, Daman Mills, also voices Moonfish, Hood, and the Chainsaw Nomu.
- He is currently the only member of the Vanguard Action Squad whose fate following his arrest after the training camp invasion remains unknown.
- (To Tetsutetsu) "Coming at me like the Terminator, huh? And why're you just charging in like a madman? Give me a break. You're getting a top-notch education at a famous school. At least use some strategy. If not...you're barely worth killing."
- (To Tetsutetsu and Itsuka) "Bwa ha ha ha! It's two-on-one, so one of you decided to hide for a sneak attack?! Ha ha ha! Simple. Pitifully simple. I'm creating this gas and controlling it!! Every move you make...creates ripples and tells me where you are! There's no hiding from me!! Why's that so unthinkable to you? You're from U.A., so show me something more! I guess I'll forgive you for an attack like that..."
- (To Tetsutetsu) "Hey...aren't you supposed to be heroes someday? It doesn't make much sense to me...how a simpleton like you gets praised because of your school's reputation...you're pampered by the world just because of your alma mater!! Don't ya think it's not right?!"
|League of Villains|
|Current Leader||Tomura Shigaraki|
|Recruits||Dabi • Himiko Toga • Magne • Moonfish • Mr. Compress • Muscular • Mustard • Spinner • Twice|
|Underlings||Axer • Berserker • Chomper • Dragon • Four-Armed Zealot • Giant Palm • Gorilla • Gravitational Spring • Greedy Gaping Jaw • Hanzo Suiden • Hard Head • Invisible Wall • Martial Hair • Minotaurus • Mummy • Muscle Man • Needle Hair • One-Eyed Green Dragon • Oxy-Man • Sharkyonara • Sharp Blade • Sickle Claw • Spike • Steel Bulwark • Stitched Giant • Tesla • Thousand Eyes • Varanus • Victor • Yashamaru|
|Standard Nomu||U.S.J Nomu • Hosu Nomus • Chainsaw Nomu • Johnny|
|High-End Nomu||Chubs • Eleph • Hood • Ribby • Robot • Woman • Six Unnamed|
|Associates||Giran • Nine|
|Original Members||All For One • Kyudai Garaki • Gigantomachia • Nomu • Kurogiri|
|Locations||Haibori Woods • Jaku General Hospital • League of Villains Bar • Nomu Factory|