We've got to start at the bottom and work up! And if we don't earnestly cheer each other on... we'll never be top heroes!Momo Yaoyorozu in "Bakugo's Starting Line"
Momo Yaoyorozu (
Momo is a tall teenage girl with a rather mature physique. Her Quirk’s need for fat cells requires her to keep a fuller figure than her classmates. She has long black hair that is normally tied into a spiky ponytail with a large strand hanging on the right side of her face. Her eyes are thin and sharp, dark in color and paired with short eyebrows set in a determined expression.
During school hours, she wears the standard female uniform which consists of a gray blazer with blue-green stripes, a formal white shirt, red tie, blue-green pleated skirt, black knee socks, and brown loafers.
Her hero costume consists of a high-collared, sleeveless crimson leotard with silver lines at her waist and around her arms, which is open to expose her skin from her neck to just below her navel. She sports calf-length red boots with heels, which dip sharply down in the center, and two gold utility belts around her waist, another, thinner one around the top portion of her chest, below her shoulders. The design choice allows her to create items from as many points in her body as possible, as her Quirk can only be used if her skin is exposed.
During the winter months, she wears a long high-collared red cape and a ring going around her neck with a large gemstone at her throat.
Momo is a very prudent, dedicated person who acts as a natural leader. She is generally level-headed and calm in dangerous situations, but she isn't above falling into a panic. Momo is very kind and polite, and quite reserved, yet she can be blunt with her comments about people's mistakes and miscalculations, tending to be very direct and wishing to help her peers improve enough to become great heroes, such as when she tutored her classmates at her home. Momo shows further development as a selfless hero who gets inspiration from others.
Momo typically takes adverse situations in stride, expressing little concern for losing most of her clothing in battle, as she knows how to construct another set, and would have made her costume even more revealing were it not for restrictions on exposed skin in a costume. However, this often makes others think of her as an exhibitionist. Ironically, she is rather innocent and sensitive to vulgarity and rude mannerisms, constantly frustrated by sexual advancements from Minoru Mineta and Katsuki Bakugo's crude attitude. This innocence shows that she has a somewhat casual, natural, and non-lewd view toward nudity, which explains her lack of modesty in her costume.
While originally confident in herself, Momo's pride was crushed after her rapid loss to Fumikage Tokoyami in the U.A. Sports Festival and the comparisons she made between Shoto Todoroki and herself, starting to lose confidence in her own ability to make quick choices on practical situations. It was further damaged during Uwabami's shallow internship, believing the heroine chose her despite being "an unworthy student" and tried to find deeper lessons to reassure herself.
Thanks to Shoto's encouragement on their final exams, Momo regained confidence in her quick-thinking, learning people have different skills and sometimes can compliment each other. Even when she is weakened and trapped by her opponents, she doesn't give up and shows the increase of her Quirk output, ultimately defeating her enemies.
When she displays excitement towards pass time with her friends or help them, Momo becomes upbeat and eager. She also tends to accidentally reveal how rich she is, yet most people understand she doesn't do it out of malice. Despite her mature mannerisms, she occasionally finds herself roped into silly situations such as cheerleading, although she rarely expresses much enthusiasm in doing so.
Overall Abilities: Being a recommended student, Momo possesses a good level of combat skills. Her abilities earned her 1st place in the Quirk Apprehension Test, an impressive feat considering almost all of her classmates had at least one superhuman result, and the end result was cumulative of all 8 tests. Momo was able to hold her own against Fumikage Tokoyami for a short period of time during the U.A. Sports Festival, and did the same against Itsuka Kendo in the second match of the Joint Training Battle, but lost in both instances. On Nabu Island, Momo and Yuga Aoyama acted as the first line of defense against Nine, Slice, and Chimera, with Yuga unleashing the full power of his Navel Laser, and Momo creating 2 large cannons, all to barrage the villain trinity into separating from each other. Soon after, an exhausted Momo helped an equally overtaxed Yuga initiate a surprise attack on Nine from behind, but the undeterred villain used his Air Wall Quirk to easily defeat the fatigued duo.
- Bukijutsu: Momo can skillfully wield several weapons to use against her opponent, for both offensive and defensive purposes, primarily bo staffs. Her bojutsu is quite remarkable, which allows her to knock out a large group of villains, as shown during the U.S.J. Incident.
Genius Intellect: Momo is ranked S-class in intelligence, meaning that she can essentially be considered a genius. Her analytical skills are strong, easily devising strategies and plans in battle and urgent situations, which she has no trouble putting in motion due to her Quirk's versatility. Academically speaking, Momo is highly efficient, having been ranked 1st place in the mid-terms of her class,, and understanding the composition of anything she wishes to create using her Quirk. The latter is a complicated task for even the simplest materials. Regardless, Momo commonly uses the objects from her Quirk to provide auxiliary support for her allies, as well as blindside her opponents, making her a very crafty individual, and reliable comrade. What she lacks in raw strength and destructive power, she makes up for with her ingenuity. When she was paired with Shoto against Eraser Head for the First Term Final Exam, Momo realized that the Eraser Hero's Erasure Quirk has a smaller time limit due to the injury he received from Nomu, and capitalized on that small interval to blindside Eraser Head and secure victory for her and Shoto.
During the second round of the Joint Training Battle, Momo demonstrated her ability to anticipate unexpected circumstances; she took notice of the opposing team having a two-fold plan. Shoto even stated that thinking and planning under pressure or in times of crisis is Momo's area of expertise. She also has good judgment, being fully aware that once Itsuka took the match to her own strong suit: close-quarters combat, Momo herself wouldn't stand a chance. Even when overpowered by Itsuka, Momo effectively blindsided the big-fisted heroine by creating a cannon at point-blank range, making it look like she was going to fire it at the latter. Taking advantage of Itsuka's startled reaction, Momo quickly turned the cannon in another direction and fired her lucky bag over the wall of letters to give extra support to her teammates. Even though Momo provided assistance to her teammates, she was incapacitated by Itsuka, but not before the recommended student managed to tie herself to the latter before losing consciousness.
- Teaching Ability: Momo is considered an extremely good tutor by her peers, holding several study classes for other members of Class 1-A. The results have been noticeable judging by the U.A.'s First Term Final Exam, where none of the low-grade students failed in the written exam.
Musical Talent: Having gone through etiquette training during her childhood, Momo is capable of playing the piano and other key-based instruments.
The more she eats, the more material she has to work with, so she needs considerable food ingestion for her Quirk to be effective. However, it takes her a longer period of time and more skin exposed to create large objects, to the point where she forces large objects through her costume leaving it shredded, though she claims she can just repair it.
This aspect of her Quirk is also possibly the reason for her slim figure, as she constantly burns her body’s fat to create objects. It is also possible that this is a big weakness, in that if she creates too much without replacing her calories, she can become weak and possibly anemic.
As part of her training, Momo consumed large amounts of food to increase the efficacy of her Quirk, and reduce the amount of time needed to create objects.
- Yaoyorozu's Lucky Bag (
YAOYOROZU'S LUCKY BAGYaoyorozuzu Rakkī Baggu?): Momo creates a large cannon, which can launch a bag full of items. These items can be anything that she can make with her Quirk.
|Strategic Mind||5/6 A|
Hero Outfit: Momo's hero outfit allows her to expose as much of her skin as possible so that she can use her creation Quirk much more easily.
- The Yaoyoleotard (ヤオヨロ レオタード Yaoyoro Reotādo?): Her leotard makes it easier for Momo to create, as it leaves most of her skin exposed so she can pop out large items.
- The Yaoyoro-Belt (ヤオヨロ ベルト Yaoyoro Beruto?): This equipment is a bit thick in order to prop up her "Yaoyorictionary".
- The Yaoyorictionary (ヤオヨロ 辞典 Yaoyoro Jiten?): This equipment is made of lexicon compiling all the constructs and materials that come up to Momo's mind. It also has magnets attached to the cover and inside pages so that it doesn't open or fall.
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
- Momo's design in the preliminary stages of the series was relatively similar to her current design. She already had her trademark ponytail, although it was less spiky, and her body overall was slightly slimmer. Her hero costume had a few differences though, such as the lack of a torso opening and a sort of partial mask worn around her nose area.
- According to Momo's Volume 2 profile:
- Her favorite thing is reading, especially encyclopedias.
- Horikoshi clarifies that Momo can't create living beings, correcting a previous statement that claimed Momo couldn't produce organic material.
- Momo's Quirk was originally going to belong to a Pro Hero, but Horikoshi thought that such an overpowered ability would be more interesting if handled by an inexperienced character.
- Momo's surname contains the kanji for "eight" (八 ya?), "one hundred" (百 o?) and "ten thousand" (万 yorozu?), and her first name contains "hundred" (百 momo?).
- Put together, the kanji for Momo's surname is an idiomatic expression that translates to "a great/uncountable number," and it literally means "eight million."
- Momo was slightly censored by Kyoka Jiro's earphone cable during the U.S.J. Arc, due to her tearing her clothes off to create the insulated sheet for her and Kyoka.
- Momo's rankings for the Popularity Polls are as following:
- Ranked 11th in the First Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 13th in the Second Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 14th in the Third Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 7th in the Fourth Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 10th in the Fifth Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 12th in the Sixth Popularity Poll.
- Momo's known U.A academic data is as follows:
- Momo is student No. 20 of Class 1-A.
- Ranked 1st in Quirk Apprehension Test.
- Ranked 1st in Class 1-A's mid-term grades.
- Ranked in the Top 16 of the U.A. Sports Festival First-Year Stage.
- Momo received a total of 108 nominations from Pro Heroes for her U.A. Sports Festival performance, making her the 6th most nominated Class 1-A student.
- Scored 94 in the Provisional Hero License Exam.
- In Chapter 124, Momo broke the fourth wall when she pointed out that Mirio Togata only needed 3 panels to explain the Hero Internship.
- Momo would have made her costume even more revealing were it not for restrictions on the amount of skin allowed to be shown in a costume.
- Momo is the tallest female student in Class 1-A, measuring at 173 centimeters.
- Momo, Minoru Mineta, Mina Ashido and Tsuyu Asui all share the same costume designer.
- (To her classmates) "We've got to start at the bottom and work up! And if we don't earnestly cheer each other on... We'll never be great heroes!"
- (To Tenya Ida, Izuku Midoriya, Eijiro Kirishima & Shoto Todoroki) "I trust you, Todoroki, but worse comes to worst, I should be their backup which is why I'm coming too."
|U.A. High School|
|Class 1-A Students||Denki Kaminari • Eijiro Kirishima • Fumikage Tokoyami • Hanta Sero • Izuku Midoriya • Katsuki Bakugo • Koji Koda • Kyoka Jiro • Mashirao Ojiro • Mezo Shoji • Mina Ashido • Minoru Mineta • Momo Yaoyorozu • Ochaco Uraraka • Rikido Sato • Shoto Todoroki • Tenya Ida • Toru Hagakure • Tsuyu Asui • Yuga Aoyama|
|Class 1-B Students||Hiryu Rin • Ibara Shiozaki • Itsuka Kendo • Juzo Honenuki • Jurota Shishida • Kinoko Komori • Kojiro Bondo • Kosei Tsuburaba • Manga Fukidashi • Neito Monoma • Nirengeki Shoda • Pony Tsunotori • Reiko Yanagi • Sen Kaibara • Setsuna Tokage • Shihai Kuroiro • Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu • Togaru Kamakiri • Yosetsu Awase • Yui Kodai|
|Department of Support||Mei Hatsume • Bibimi Kenranzaki|
|General Department||Hitoshi Shinso • Chikuchi Togeike • Tsutsutaka Agoyamato|
|Second Year Students||Mawata Fuwa|
|Third Year Students||Mirio Togata • Nejire Hado • Tamaki Amajiki • Bibimi Kenranzaki • Yuyu Haya|
|Staff||All Might • Cementoss • Ectoplasm • Eraser Head • Hound Dog • Lunch Rush • Midnight • Nezu • Power Loader • Present Mic • Recovery Girl • Snipe • Thirteen • Vlad King • Gran Torino (Retired)|
|Former Students||All Might • Endeavor • Best Jeanist • Midnight • Eraser Head • Loud Cloud • Present Mic • Mister Blaster|
|Locations||Class 1-A • Class 1-B • Conference Room • Ground Beta • Ground Gamma • Ground Omega • Gym Gamma • Heights Alliance • Lunch Rush Cafeteria • P.E. Grounds • Recovery Girl's Nurse's Office • Sports Festival Stadium • Teachers Lounge • U.A.'s Development Studio • Unforeseen Simulation Joint|