Mina is a girl of medium height, possibly set a little more broadly than some of her other female classmates, with, according to her profile, "healthy thighs". Due to her Quirk, her skin is a light shade of pink, and she has somewhat square shaped eyes with black sclera and yellow irises and notably long eyelashes below and around the sides of her eyes. Minoru Mineta once commented that "she's got a super athletic body."
Her face is framed by short fluffy and unruly pink hair which is slightly darker than her skin. She also has two thin pale yellow horns protruding from her head, hooked squarely and leaning diagonally to opposite sides, which seem to be slightly flexible, able to bend a bit to each side. During school hours, she wears the normal female U.A. uniform.
Her hero costume consists of a plain white mask over her eyes, with a purple and turquoise skin-tight bodysuit with a camouflage pattern, ending just above her breasts. Over this, she wears a cropped, sleeveless, tan-colored waistcoat with white fur along its collar, which she leaves unbuttoned. She wears custom made plum violet and beige acid-proof boots with holes in the soles, allowing her to secrete acid from her feet to slide around.
The winter version of her costume is very similar, the only difference being that she replaces her usual waistcoat with another, which is slightly longer and has sleeves down to her elbows. A large hexagonal patch with a purple letter 'P' (standing for "Pinky", Mina's hero name) stitched onto the shoulder of each sleeve. The fur lining her collar is also thicker and wider, reaching her chin, and is joined in the center by two clasps instead of being undone like the rest of her jacket.
Mina is a cheerful and easygoing girl who displays a smile on her face most of the time. Highly social and excitable, she loves to hang out with her friends and is shown to become very upset when denied an opportunity to be at a gathering. She possesses a strong fashion sense and likes to go shopping.
Due to her athleticism and energy, Mina enjoys and is very skilled at dancing. Her demeanor becomes more strict and perfectionist when teaching others how to dance, in direct contrast to her usual happy-go-lucky nature. She is known to use her dancing to somehow pacify even those who have bad relationships with others.
Mina's academic performance is quite poor, with Mina goofily laughing about it despite showing clear anxiety and frustration on the inside. Because of that, she is often viewed as an airhead by her classmates (second only to Denki Kaminari). However, Mina is capable of showing dedication to her studies as long as she gets proper tutoring.
Mina is extremely courageous and is viewed as an ideal personality for hero work. Before entering U.A., Mina would condemn bullying in middle school and even managed to convince some bullies to come around with her upbeat and friendly attitude. She is also capable of putting her life on the line to save others, even if she can't deal with the fear afterwards. This was seen when she lied to Gigantomachia in order to protect her friends from the behemoth’s anger and successfully got the giant to leave, just before collapsing into tears of fear and relief, showing that the ordeal had terrified her as well.
Mina is somewhat of a romantic and holds a lot of interest over the love lives of other people, to the point of being obnoxiously curious and intrusive about them. Her suspicions, however, tend to be rather baseless most of the time, as she seems to view any instance of a pairing as possible proof of a relationship regardless of compatibility.
Overall Abilities: Despite having minimal combat abilities, Mina makes up for it with her Quirk proficiency and incredible reaction time. Her abilities allowed her to earn 9th place in the Quirk Apprehension Test. Mina has demonstrated a good handle on the applications of her Acid Quirk, using the acid she creates to provide cover fire for her allies and employing it in a variety of ways. Mina can also control the levels of solubility and viscosity of her acid. By lowering solubility, she ensures that her Quirk doesn't become lethal against most living beings. And by raising viscosity, Mina is able to generate extremely slimy acid that acts as a protective barrier by gluing it to surfaces. Mina is said to have difficulties in facing human adversaries due to not yet having full mastery over her Quirk's dangerous corrosive properties, so she's more comfortable battling inorganic foes. In addition to her Quirk handling, out of all of Class 1-A's female students, and most of the overall students in the said class, Mina has the best reflexes. She is capable of easily dodging Yuga Aoyama's energy attacks, and later on, melt several balls launched toward her at high speed with precise flicks.
During the Joint Training Battle, Mina showcased her improvement, effectively switching between different acid-based techniques, while executing unorthodox, yet impeccable teamwork with Minoru. Her abilities eventually garnered the attention of the Equipped Hero: Yoroi Musha, giving Mina the opportunity to intern under the now former No. 9 Pro Hero, and improve her offensive and defensive abilities.
Dancing Talent: Mina is extremely skilled at dancing, being capable of pulling break-dance moves with little effort. She can also teach an amateur to become a decent dancer in little time. Izuku Midoriya has noted that her dancing expertise means she possesses excellent body control: thus her quick reflexes and skill in close-quarters fighting.
Mina can use it offensively, but has shown utility as well, such as melting handholds for herself to climb with. She is also known to secrete a non-corrosive version of the acid from her feet in order to slide around.
As part of her training, Mina constantly produced acid in order to increase her skin's durability, namely towards the corrosive properties of her Quirk.
- Acid Veil (アシッドベール Ashiddobēru?): Mina's special move. By maximizing her acid's solubility and viscosity, Mina creates a gelatinous acid wall that blocks incoming projectiles. Mina's Acid Veil was strong enough to block hardened balls (which were stronger than concrete) with ease.
- Acid Shot (アシッドショット Ashiddo Shotto?) Mina fires a hail of acidic bullets over a widespread area from above to shower down on to her opponents.
- Acid Layback (アシッドレイバック Ashiddo Reibakku?): Mina projects acid from her shoes to dissolve the surface of the ground beneath her and make it easier to spin on the spot. With the enhanced momentum of her super-fast spin, she can throw projectiles with massively increased force.
- Grape-Pinky Combo Mineta Bounce (グレープピンキーコンボ
跳 峰 田Gurēpu Pinkī Konbo - Hane Mineta?): After Mina uses Acid Lay-back to spin on the spot and Minoru lays down multiple Pop Off Spheres on the ground and walls, Mina throws Minoru with great force so that he bounces from sphere to sphere. As he is flying through the air and bouncing off of each sphere, he can throw more Pop Off Spheres from his head onto his opponents while making it difficult to be hit back.
- Grape-Pinky Combo Mineta Bounce (グレープピンキーコンボ
- Acidman (アシッドマン Ashiddoman?): After increasing the viscosity of her Quirk, Mina generates a large amount of acid that takes a vaguely anthropomorphic form that covers her entire body. This technique has defensive properties since every attack against Mina will be dissolved by the powerful acid that protects her.
Acid-proof Shoes: Mina wears special shoes that have holes in their soles, that let Mina secrete acid from her feet. The shoes are not damaged by the corrosive liquid, so Mina can easily use them to slide across the ground on her acid.
Acid-proof Outfit: Mina's costume is also acid-proof, so she can completely cover herself in Acid without damaging it.
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
- Mina's design during the preliminary stages of the series was relatively similar to her final design, albeit with a lankier physique. This design also possessed longer, more elaborate horns, prominently straight teeth like Hanta Sero's, rounder eyes, visible blushes on her cheeks similar to the ones Ochaco Uraraka has, and slightly longer hair.
- Because the twisted horns were considered difficult to draw, this design was eventually dropped, with the current Mina design having smaller, simpler horns.
- Mina ranking in the Popularity Poll's are the following:
- Ranked 24th in the 1st Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 21st in the 2nd Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 36th in the 3rd Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 39th in the 4th Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 29th in the 5th Popularity Poll.
- Rnaked 28th in the 6th Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 41st in the 7th Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 9th in the 1st English Popularity Poll.
- According to Mina's Volume 4 profile:
- Her favorite thing is dancing, a trait that's shown more in later chapters.
- Her favorite foods are Okra and Natto.
- Mina is considered one of the stronger students in Class 1-A, having the best reflexes among the girls.
- Kohei Horikoshi regrets not giving Mina more screen time, at least by that point.
- Incidentally, Mina is the only Class 1-A student featured in the extras section of Volume 4.
- Mina's known U.A. data is as follows:
- Mina is student No. 2 in Class 1-A.
- Ranked ninth during Shota Aizawa's Quirk Apprehension Test.
- Ranked in the Top 8 of the U.A. Sports Festival First-Year Stage.
- Ranked nineteenth in Class 1-A's mid-term grades.
- According to Kohei Horikoshi in the BNHA Ultra Analysis book, Mina is cupioromantic, stating that she “has never liked anyone, but wishes she can be in love”.
- Mina and Yuga are the only Class 1-A participants of the U.A. Sports Festival Fighting Tournament who didn't receive a nomination from a Pro Hero.
- Mina's surname contains the kanji for "reed" (芦 ashi?) and "door" (戸 do?), and her first name contains "three" (三 mi?) and "apple tree" (奈 na?).
- Mina's initial choice of her hero name, Ridley Hero: Alien Queen (リドリーヒーロー エイリアンクイーン Ridorī Hīrō Eirian Kuīn?), is a direct reference to Ellen Ripley from Alien, where the titular creature of the film is an extraterrestrial being that possesses acidic blood.
- In My Hero Academia: Ultra Archive: The Official Character Guide, Mina's profile mistakenly lists her birthday as July 15th.
- Mina, Momo Yaoyorozu, Minoru, and Tsuyu Asui all share the same costume designer.
- Mina's English voice actor, Caitlin Glass, also voices Kai Chisaki as a child.
- My Hero Academia Manga: Vol. 4, Omake
- My Hero Academia: Ultra Archive: The Official Character Guide.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 60 and Episode 34.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 169 and Episode 81.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 214 and Episode 99.
- My Hero Academia Manga: Vol. 13.
|U.A. High School|
|Class 1-A Students||Denki Kaminari • Eijiro Kirishima • Fumikage Tokoyami • Hanta Sero • Izuku Midoriya • Katsuki Bakugo • Koji Koda • Kyoka Jiro • Mashirao Ojiro • Mezo Shoji • Mina Ashido • Minoru Mineta • Momo Yaoyorozu • Ochaco Uraraka • Rikido Sato • Shoto Todoroki • Tenya Ida • Toru Hagakure • Tsuyu Asui • Yuga Aoyama|
|Class 1-B Students||Hiryu Rin • Ibara Shiozaki • Itsuka Kendo • Juzo Honenuki • Jurota Shishida • Kinoko Komori • Kojiro Bondo • Kosei Tsuburaba • Manga Fukidashi • Neito Monoma • Nirengeki Shoda • Pony Tsunotori • Reiko Yanagi • Sen Kaibara • Setsuna Tokage • Shihai Kuroiro • Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu • Togaru Kamakiri • Yosetsu Awase • Yui Kodai|
|Department of Support||Mei Hatsume • Bibimi Kenranzaki|
|General Department||Hitoshi Shinso • Chikuchi Togeike • Tsutsutaka Agoyamato|
|Second Year Students||Mawata Fuwa|
|Third Year Students||Mirio Togata • Nejire Hado • Tamaki Amajiki • Bibimi Kenranzaki • Yuyu Haya|
|Staff||All Might • Cementoss • Ectoplasm • Eraser Head • Hound Dog • Lunch Rush • Midnight • Nezu • Power Loader • Present Mic • Recovery Girl • Snipe • Thirteen • Vlad King • Gran Torino (Retired)|
|Former Students||All Might • Endeavor • Best Jeanist • Midnight • Eraser Head • Loud Cloud • Present Mic • Mister Blaster|
|Locations||Class 1-A • Class 1-B • Conference Room • Ground Beta • Ground Gamma • Ground Omega • Gym Gamma • Heights Alliance • Lunch Rush Cafeteria • P.E. Grounds • Recovery Girl's Nurse's Office • Sports Festival Stadium • Teachers Lounge • U.A.'s Development Studio • Unforeseen Simulation Joint|