Mezo is a tall, muscular young man with pale gray hair swept forwards, covering most of his face, and bent downwards at almost a right angle over his eye. He has six arms, all attached to each other by a web of skin, which are very physically strong, and while his Quirk is not in use only the front two arms have hands, the rest ending in thin stumps.
While less pronounced in the anime, he has a slightly elongated face, his eyes set more towards the sides, the majority of which, for some reason, he has always kept hidden by a blue mask, which covers him from just below his eyes to the base of his neck. He has never been seen without it on, as he doesn't appear when the other students are bathing in the hot springs, and he wears it with every outfit. To speak and eat, he simply grows a mouth on the end of one of his tentacles, although once, in the Forest Training Camp Arc, when his arm was injured, he has been seen speaking with his actual mouth. Although he has no discernible ears, he doesn't have to use his Quirk to hear.
During school hours, he wears the regular male U.A. uniform, the only notable difference between his and the other students' being that his is sleeveless to make room for his six tentacles, and he wears a waistcoat rather than a blazer. He also doesn't wear the usual brown dress shoes, instead replacing them with a pair of thick-soled black espadrilles.
His hero costume consists of a tight blue tank top, six white markings resembling eyes, connected at the top to a darker, more indigo-colored mask, its design the same as the one he usually wears. He has a belt with another, larger eye shape embedded into its center, this time yellow, below which he wears slightly baggy trousers to match his shirt, two darker lines running down the sides of his legs, and indigo boots.
Despite his frightening appearance, Mezo is a very friendly and gentle person who will work nicely with anyone. He is not the type to hold grudges, showing no ill will towards those that harm him unwillingly.
Mezo is quite selfless and willing to risk his life for anyone. He can be empathetic and understanding, but still shows a sense of maturity and responsibility that prevents himself from acting under emotional impulses, even if he feels regretful about it. It is evident that he is very protective of his fellow classmates, especially if they are hurt or injured. The Ultra Archive book states that his feelings for his friends are stronger than anyone else and doesn't mind sacrificing himself.
Mezo claims to hold no desire for material needs, being fine with having few possessions of his own. This is a trait he has been carrying since childhood.
Mezo is also quite thick-skinned, as he said he was used to being feared and seemed unfazed when Pony Tsunotori called him an octopus and said she didn't like to look at him.
In Mezo's hometown, there is still prejudice against those whose bodies are altered outwardly by their Quirks and people were often frightened of him. He started wearing his signature mask because his face made a young girl cry and he didn't want to be the cause of anyone's sadness.
Overall Abilities: Mezo has proven to be a highly capable individual, as his skills allowed him to earn 6th place in the Quirk Apprehension Test. He also has a good handle on his Quirk, Dupli-Arms, which he can use for both combat and sensory purposes. Dupli-Arms makes Mezo excellent for spying and stake out missions since his tentacle-created sensorial parts have heightened functions. While Mezo is strong enough to carry more than one person on his back with minimal effort, he is further capable of shielding or hiding them from danger thanks to his Dupli-Arms having a webbed structure. Mezo also possesses good camaraderie, using his Quirk to detect nearby enemies, and using his tentacles to cause a distraction so that his comrades can take their opponents by surprise.
Utilizing physical prowess and Quirk handling, Mezo has repeatedly displayed the capacity to swiftly fend off dangerous villains such as Kurogiri and Himiko Toga, effectively providing cover for his comrades, and emerging unscathed. During the third match of the Joint Training Battle, he faced off against Pony Tsunotori, one of the fastest students in Class 1-B, effectively countering her barrage of horn attacks, including the surprise attack she attempted to use, until Mashirao Ojiro intervened to restrain Pony. Afterwards, Pony admitted that, even with her abilities, she overall couldn't defeat Mezo. His abilitites eventually garnered the attention of Gang Orca, giving Mezo the opportunity to intern under the No. 12 (formerly No. 10) Pro Hero and improve on his search techniques. On Nabu Island, Mezo had enough mettle to take on Chojuro Kon but was quickly subdued by the latter before he could fully act. The next day, while getting Mahoro and Katsuma Shimano to safety, Mezo was confronted by Nine, who used his Bullet Laser Quirk to attack the masked hero. Mezo was soon assisted by Mashirao and Kyoka, and all three of them were able to surprise the villain and pin him down, forcing Nine into using the full power of his Air Wall Quirk to defeat the trio of students.
- Enhanced Strength: Mezo possesses a high degree of physical strength, as he was able to exert as much as 540 kilograms (1,188 pounds) of force during the Quirk Apprehension Test. The strength displayed during this test indicates he has more than enough strength to crush a human‘s skull with just one of his many hands. For combat, Mezo's Quirk multiplies his already great physical brawn by replicating his arms, giving him force equivalent to at least half a ton when using just one set of his tentacle arms. He was able to carry both Tsuyu Asui and Minoru Mineta on his back without any difficulty, as well as send Himiko Toga flying several meters away with a mere slap. Mezo has also shown to be strong enough to crush solid bone, as shown when he broke Pony Tsunotori's horns.
- Enhanced Speed: Despite his size and muscular physique, Mezo possesses impressive speed. He was able to pull several of his classmates out of the way before Kurogiri had the time to warp them to different locations. He was also able to run away from a full-power Dark Shadow to reach Katsuki and Shoto, all while injured and carrying Izuku. Soon after, he was able to intercept Himiko Toga, a swift villain with whom Shota Aizawa and Izuku had trouble keeping up, before she could further harm an injured Izuku.
- Enhanced Stamina: Mezo also has a deep supply of stamina. After a long day of rigorously training his Quirk at the forest training camp, he was able to continuously evade a full-power Dark Shadow while carrying Izuku for a substantial amount of time. He was also able to sprint at full speed after Pony, one of the Class 1-B's fastest students, for 15 minutes without letting up. He endured Nine's Bullet Laser assault, and despite the severe injuries, Mezo had enough strength to tackle him to the ground before being defeated by the villain.
- Enhanced Durability: Mezo has been shown to withstand a great amount of damage. During the Vanguard Action Squad Invasion, he had 1 arm dismembered, 3 others burned by Dabi's flames, and his legs withstood a great fall after being thrown high into the air by Ochaco and Tsuyu. Afterwards, Mezo continued to battle as well as was save Izuku from Himiko, showing no signs of a hindered performance. In addition, during Nine's second attack on Nabu island, Mezo was the only member of Class 1-A capable of using his body to protect Mahoro and Katsuma from falling debris caused by Nine's assault. Soon after, he was able to endure a good amount of Nine's Bullet Laser Quirk but was moderately injured.
- Enhanced Reflexes: Mezo has extremely good reflexes. He was able to simultaneously dodge Dark Shadow and save Izuku in The Beast's Forest, while during the Joint Training Battle's third round, Mezo was capable of countering Pony's high-speed horn attacks she fired at him. The latter feat was exceptionally impressive seeing as her horns were too fast for even Shoto Todoroki to react to them.
Keen Intellect: Mezo is known to be quite intelligent, scoring 10th place in the midterms, displaying his skill in academics. He is also very analytical, as he was able to effectively discern that the reason Fumikage lost control of Dark Shadow, which the Jet-Black Hero had trained to keep under control in the darkness, was due to Fumikage's negative emotions influencing Dark Shadow, making the Quirk even more powerful and unruly in the darkness. Mezo was also able to deduce the mechanics behind the Quirk of Mr. Compress from seeing the after-effect of the latter’s power once.
His detection ability from his Quirk is so powerful that he is able to hear the movements of Toru Hagakure in order to effectively completely counter the clandestine capabilities of her Invisibility Quirk. This feat renders sneak attacks ineffective against Mezo.
He also uses these arms to talk most of the time through duplicate mouths, rather than his actual mouth.
Mezo is also able to extend his tentacles, and, with an arm at the end, can use them like grappling hooks to scale walls, grab onto pipes to quickly evade attacks, or get to a vantage point.
As part of his training, Mezo swiftly created multiple tentacles, with eyes and ears, to seek out the invisible Toru, all to increase his sensory capabilities.
- Octoblow (オクトブロー Okutoburō?): Mezo manifests several arms at once, allowing him to unleash a barrage of blows to defend himself.
- Unnamed Duplication Combo. During Heroes Rising, Shoji repeatedly duplicates his arms along with one of his tentacle arms on each side. This creates long chains that he uses to climb tall obstacles.
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
- While Mezo's face has not been officially unveiled in the series yet, a piece of concept art showcases what could possibly be Mezo's true face, featuring a wide mouth with a set of jagged teeth. The same concept artwork also implies that Mezo is capable of using his Quirk to replicate miniature versions of his head.
- According to Mezo's Volume 3 profile:
- His favorite foods are takoyaki and squid ink pasta.
- To keep himself warm during winter, Mezo wears a poncho.
- Horikoshi considers Mezo fun to draw due to his less human-like features.
- Horikoshi wants to tell Mezo's backstory, but still doesn't know when he will be able to do so.
- Mezo's known U.A. academic data is as follows:
- Mezo's surname contains the kanji for "to harm" (障 shō?) and "child" (子 ji?), and his first name contains "eyeball" (目 me?) and "storehouse" (蔵 zō?).
- Measuring at 187 centimeters, Mezo is the tallest student in his class.
- He is also, ironically enough, the youngest of the class, with his birthday taking place in late February. He is younger than Tsuyu by three days who is the second youngest student in Class 1-A.
- (To his classmates, regarding Katsuki Bakugo's kidnapping) "I get it. Kirishima's pain over not being able to do anything... and Todoroki's regrets over having Bakugo snatched away before his eyes. I regret it all too. Still... this is no time to let our emotions get the better of us."
- (To Pony Tsunotori) "I’m no stranger to being feared."
- My Hero Academia Manga: Vol. 3, Omake
- My Hero Academia: Ultra Analysis: The Official Character Guide.
- My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 84 (p. 5).
- My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 205 (p. 7).