I know this is a great opportunity. And I know how stupid it must seem to throw it away... but this final tournament... everyone else made it here by their own strength. Yet I'm standing here, and I don't even know how or why. I just can't take it.Mashirao Ojiro quitting the U.A. Sports Festival in "Smile, Prince of Nonsense Land!"
Mashirao is a young man of muscular build and has short blond hair, swept to the front of his head. He has thin eyes with no lower eyelashes. Unlike the other students in his class, he wears pale gray sneakers with his school uniform instead of the brown dress shoes worn by everyone else, and the bottom button of his blazer he leaves casually undone. Due to his quirk, he also has a tail.
Before the Provisional Hero License Exam Arc, his costume receives a slight upgrade, now including sand blue fingerless gloves.
During the Joint Training Battle, he added a large coat to his hero costume.
Mashirao has a very calm and noble attitude, as well as a very deep sense of dignity, which prevents him from accepting results that he doesn't feel like he earned with his own abilities. He is also described as a hard worker.
Along with a strong sense of dignity, Mashirao can be described as sheepish and bashful, not very often enjoying the spotlight and being easily embarrassed. He is quite humble, yet also reliable and focused during hero work. A recurring joke is that others tend to view him as "plain", something that deeply upsets him, showing that he's sensitive and self-conscious about his own personality and abilities.
When something excites him, he wags his tail, in a similar fashion to a dog, though this is only ever seen in the manga.
Overall Abilities: Mashirao has proven himself to be a highly capable combatant in terms of physical abilities. His skills allowed him to earn 7th place in the Quirk Apprehension Test. Mashirao uses his Quirk, Tail, to either deliver direct attacks or assist his movements in battle. His fighting style involves combining his prehensile tail with his knowledge of martial arts to engage enemies in close-range combat, performing fast and acrobatic techniques. Tail plays a vital role in Mashirao's speed and mobility, as he can boost himself in the air by slapping his tail on the ground with sufficient force, giving him a method to bypass obstacles on the ground. However, Ectoplasm noted that, in spite of the tailed hero's combat efficiency, Mashirao fights predictably, as tailed humans like him tend to move in a pattern that can be easily exploited. To eliminate this factor, Mashirao improved the fundamentals of his movements to become less predictable in combat.
At the U.S.J., Mashirao was more than capable of singlehandedly defeating multiple low-tier members of the League of Villains. During the third match of the Joint Training Battle, Mashirao temporarily held his own against Sen Kaibara but was nearly overwhelmed by the latter’s onslaught, had it not been for the timely arrival of Tenya Ida. Even after receiving minor injuries from his bout with Sen, Mashirao was able to successfully ambush Pony Tsunotori, the fastest student in Class 1-B, before Juzo Honenuki arrived to liquefy the ground underneath the pair and Mezo Shoji. But after Mezo freed himself, Mashirao, and Pony from the softened ground, Mashirao was blindsided and swiftly captured by the restrained Pony. His abilities eventually garnered the attention of Shishido, giving Mashirao the opportunity to intern under the No. 13 Pro Hero, and improve on his flurry of attacks and the ability to read ahead of situations.
On Nabu Island, Mashirao had the mettle to be the first of his class to take on the powerful villain, Chojuro Kon, before being aided by Fumikage Tokoyami. After Fumikage left, Mashirao, despite the odds, was able to ward off Chojuro for an extended period of time until Fumikage returned with reinforcements, at which point, the Martial Arts Hero was soundly surmounted by the beastly villain. The next day, Mashirao, along with Kyoka Jiro, acted as the fourth line of defense against Nine, and effectively ambushed him before he subdued the two with his Hydra Quirk. Soon after, Mashirao and Kyoka aided Mezo against the powerful foe, forcing Nine into using the full power of his Air Wall Quirk to defeat the trio of students.
Keen Intellect: Mashirao is known to be quite intelligent, scoring 8th place in the midterms, displaying his skill in academics. At the U.A. Sports Festival, Mashirao withdrew from the competition following the Cavalry Battle, having realized that Hitoshi Shinso used his Quirk to control him, Nirengeki Shoda, and Yuga Aoyama. While he didn't yet fully understand the mechanics behind Hitoshi's Brainwashing Quirk, Mashirao knew that speaking to the Class 1-C student was a factor, hence why he warned Izuku Midoriya against doing so. Mashirao also seems to be knowledgable of various workout techniques as he meticulously explained the exercise Izuku was performing throughout one of their classes which involved the latter making trembling-like movements; the Isometric muscle contraction that’s needed to hold one's body above a seat makes it an easy way to workout without having to move. When he traded blows Sen, Mashirao measured the strength of the Class 1-B student's attacks, and concluded that it was useless to counter or block his gyrating attacks, which Mashirao knew were amplified by Sen's drill gloves. Mashirao was also able to deduce the weakness of Pony's Horn Cannon Quirk, so he held her horns in place to keep them from being fired off.
- Tornado Tail Dance (
尾 空 旋 舞Bikū Senbu?): Mashirao spins in mid-air, hitting anything around him with his tail. First used against Pony Tsunotori to destroy her remote-controlled horns during the Joint Training Battle.
- Fist of the Tail: Swamp Smack Spin (
尾 拳・ 沼 田 打 旋 風Biken Nutauchi Senpū?): A defensive technique where Mashirao spins horizontally with his tail stretched out, generating enough force to repel anything close to him. First used against Juzo Honenuki in order to escape his Softening Quirk.
|Total Abilities||4/6 B|
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
- According to Mashirao's Volume 2 profile:
- Mashirao's known U.A. data is as follows:
- Student No .6 in Class 1-A.
- Ranked 7th during the Quirk Apprehension Test.
- His 50-Meter Dash record is 5.49 seconds.
- Ranked 8th in Class 1-A's mid-term grades.
- Ranked in the Top 42 of the U.A. Sports Festival First-Year Stage. Originally ranked in the Top 16, but he forfeited his participation before the final challenge.
- Scored 61 in the Provisional Hero License Exam.
- Mashirao's rankings in the Popularity Polls are as follows:
- Ranked 14th in the First Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 12th in the Second Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 11th in the Third Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 17th in the Fourth Popularity Poll.
- Mashirao's surname contains the kanji for "tail" (尾 o?) and "white" (白 jiro?), and his first name contains monkey (猿 mashi?), and man (夫 rao?).
- With his birthday taking place in late May (two days before Yuga's), Mashirao is the second oldest student in Class 1-A, as everyone was 15 when they started U.A.'s school year in early April.
- Mashirao's English voice actor, Mike McFarland, also voices Ectoplasm.
- In Deku's hero analysis notes, Ojiro is referred to as the "Hero Department's King of Normal".
- He is also said to have a "Tsukkomi" (Straight Man) disposition.
- He shares his birthday with Kazuho Haneyama.
- (To the audience of the U.A. Sports Festival) "I know this is a great opportunity. And I know how stupid it must seem to throw it away... but this final tournament... everyone else made it here by their own strength. Yet I'm standing here, and I don't even know how or why. I just can't take it."