"Nothing like doing good to make you feel good!!"Koichi Haimawari in "I'm Here"
Koichi Haimawari (
Koichi is a slim young man with smooth, short brown hair and large round brown eyes.
In his early days as a vigilante, before he met Knuckleduster, his vigilante costume consisted of his normal clothes in conjunction with one of his (many) All Might-haired hooded jackets. He also wore a medical mask to cover his face and protected his hands with regular gloves. Subsequently, on the advice of Knuckleduster, he renewed his appearance. He continues wearing an All Might hoodie, as he thinks that wearing an All Might hoodie makes him more effective as a vigilante, but now over motorcycle protective gear along with gloves and boots. He uses a black mask to cover his mouth and a pair of tinted shades (which he rarely uses) to hide his eyes.
Since the distinctive elements of his vigilante costume are the various official All Might hoodies he has, Koichi's appearance sometimes varies between missions, as each hoodie has different colors and occasionally with special edition logos on the back. Koichi is currently wearing a black hoodie.
Koichi has an easy-going, mild-mannered personality. He is very generous and does not seem to expect anything from other people in return. He is somewhat unaware of social clues, accidentally gaining a reputation of being a "creepy guy", both among his peers at university, and as The Crawler. He also often accidentally insults people when trying to compliment them; he can be very awkward.
As long as he is in some form of disguise or in a more or less deserted area, he sees no problem in using his Quirk in public even though he is not a Pro Hero. He uses his Quirk to do good deeds for the public, such as picking up trash, returning lost items, giving directions, helping people get onto trains, being a cameraman, and recycling. He has a very heroic nature and cannot ignore people that need help.
He tends to be a rather calm person, sometimes accidentally making light of dangerous situations after they have passed. He is reasonable and is willing to have a dialogue with thugs and petty criminals, as seen with his interactions with the Three Sturm und Drang Brothers. At the same time, he is quick to help when there is a real need for his abilities against Villains, showing that he can be attentive as well as calm.
He dreams of being able to become a recognized hero and is shown to enjoy the vigilante work that he does. He is very willing to do the less glamorous jobs, such as cleaning up trash, and does not seem to think that these are negative aspects of being a hero or vigilante. He refuses to give up doing it just because it seems uncool because he claims that "that's not the sort of person I am", showing that he does not seem to want to be a Hero for fame or money, but out of a genuine desire to help society and other people.
Despite his dreams of becoming a hero, Koichi doesn't see it as being the "be all end all" of his life. After his initial failed attempt to join the hero course, he resigned himself to ever becoming a Pro, and was contempt with simply doing his vigilante work on the side, even planning to retire after he finishes university and gets a full-time job. Even when Kazuho suggests getting his Hero License, he shuts down the idea, believing it to be too much work, once again demonstrating his belief that he doesn't need to be a registered Pro in order to do things to help others.
Overall Abilities: Koichi's skills are well suited to his role as a vigilante, with him boasting a versatile Quirk that affords him multiple ways of approaching a situation. Not being proficient as a hand-to-hand fighter, he primarily relies on his Quirk when confronting villains. At the most basic level, Koichi has such proficiency with his Quirk that he is able to jettison off at high speeds from a stand still and stop on a dime or make hair-pin turns at a moments notice. His speed is so great that it allows him keep up with the likes of the Pro Hero Ingenium and the villain Number 6, while also boasting superior maneuverability to either of them that even allows him to dodge attacks from the No. 2 Pro Hero Endeavor. Along with his speed, Koichi's Slide and Glide Quirk has a number of other uses, such as mid-air jumps, wall clinging, force fields, and repulsive force blasts.
Koichi has shown to be highly adept when it comes to making use of his Quirk's other abilities, owing largely to his constant vigilante activities spanning at least three years. His repulsive force blasts, dubbed the "Shooty-Go-Blam", can be fired pretty much automatically while also packing the power of an ordinary punch. By putting more focus into the core he can turn them into piercing projectiles which he can fire with pin-point accuracy, being able to shoot something as small as a bee even when moving at high speeds. He is also able to gauge the amount of power needed on the fly thanks to a self-devised system, though this inhibits its effectiveness when used on humanoid opponents.
In terms of martial prowess, he has been shown to have at least some means of physical combat in the form of leg sweeps, though these techniques have shown varying degrees of effectiveness, and while he has received some combat training, it is nothing he regularly employs. While he does rely heavily on his Quirk, he has shown that he can at least get by without it, such as when he proved his resourcefulness by evading Eraser Head's Erasure through his intimate knowledge of the Naruhata area as well as the usage of a grappling hook. He has been shown to have good senses, as he is able to read his opponents moves and dodge even when up close, though he can still slip up and be caught off guard at times.
Subconscious Action: Koichi possesses the skill of unconscious action in which his body acts without him even realizing. On the smaller scale, this can be seen when he dove towards Soga to save Kazuho from him, while on the more drastic end, this can manifest as him completely blacking out momentarily while his body acts entirely on its own. This subconscious defense has helped him discover new and re-discover forgotten applications for his Quirk, such as his mid-air jump, force fields, and wall cling. A highly effective means of defense, this can allow him to unconsciously activate his Quirk to defend against attacks that he would normally be too slow to respond to, or move in a way that is almost like fluid dancing. This subconscious form of action can also be seen beyond his physical attributes, as he's been shown to speak his mind without a real filter, most of the time resulting in the irritation of those around him, whether those be the annoyed enemies or embarrassed allies. This has led him to be dubbed a "variant fighter".
- Enhanced Subconscious Reflexes: Due to a lack of decision making needed in the process of subconsciously defending, Koichi's reflexes and reaction time improve greatly. This is best seen in Koichi's fight against Number 6, in which in order to respond to Number 6's Overclocked movement, Koichi's body activates his Quirk's force fields at the very last second in order to defend against Number 6's explosive and rapid punches. Even when Number 6 transforms into his "Hi-Crawler" form, which is able to use Overclock more effectively and indefinitely, he is still only momentarily able to overwhelm Koichi before his subconscious completely takes over, allowing him to perfectly evade and defend against Number 6's flurry of claw strikes.
Slide and Glide (
Through several encounters, he learns that he is capable of producing repulsions through his palms, first being able to shoot a burst of air while holding an item, and eventually energy blasts which can be rapidly fired, at increased damage intervals. During an encounter with Number 6, Koichi gains the ability to project his Quirk from any point on his body instead of just his hands and feet.
- Enhanced Speed: Slide and Glide grants Koichi enhanced speed, allowing him to move as fast as a bike. He is able to go faster but at risk of losing control and hurting himself because he can't stop. Training his Quirk eventually lets him go fast enough to easily overtake a wildly speeding bus. After some more intensive training, he's enhanced his Quirk enough to be capable of reacting to Number 6's speed while using Overclock.
- Maneuverability: After being given advice from Tensei Ida, Koichi gained very high maneuverability by learning to use an opposing acceleration as a brake. He now possesses the ability to move and perform tight turns at high speeds as well as brake.
- Floating: Koichi used to have the ability to float freely as a baby, even before he was able to walk. He no longer knows how to use this power, possibly due to his mother smacking him whenever he used it. He's slowly managed to re-learn how to float, though the height he can float is still very limited. He has been able to achieve a temporary form of levitation by coating his whole body in a repulsive field.
- Flight: Koichi has managed to utilize his Quirk to be capable of limited flight, performing a mid-air jump which turns the contact surfaces on his feet into rocket thrusters, allowing him to boost into the air at high speed and altitude. He believes he can only perform two mid-air jumps before having to land, but he is also capable of executing multiple mid-air jumps through sheer force of will.
- Force Field: Koichi has displayed the ability to utilize his Quirk's repulsive force to defend against attacks ranging from rocket punches to explosions powerful enough to destroy a whole car. He can project these force fields on any point of his body, big or small, and even project it over his entire body, similar to Captain Celebrity's Flight Quirk.
- Kowtow Evasion (土下座で回避 Dogeza de Kaihi?): While bowing, Koichi slides backwards. It is first used to avoid Soga Kugisaki's kick.
- High-Speed Double Sweep (高速ダブル足払ー Kōsoku Daburu Ashi?): This technique allows Koichi to shoot down his enemies easily by extending his leg sideways and hooking his opponent's legs, tripping them.
- Wall Cling (壁貼りつき Kabe hari-tsuki?): Activating it by accident at first, Koichi is able to turn the repulsion force emitted from his limbs into an adhesive force, allowing him to stick to walls.
- Scrappy Thrust Style (
TSUPPARIスタイル Tsuppari Sutairu?): By concentrating on one limb, Koichi can fire a repulsion of air out of that limb. He is able to fire consecutive light repulsion bursts.
- The Crawler's Shooty-Go-Blam (ザ・クロウラー
KGDZa Kurōrā Kiai o Gyuttoshite Dōn?): By concentrating his shot he fires a more powerful charged repulsion burst.
- The Crawler's Shooty-Go-Blam-Blam-Blam-Blam-Blam (ザ・クロウラー
KGDDDDDZa Kurōrā Kiai o Gyuttoshite Dododododōn?): Koichi fires a continuous burst of repulsion force blasts.
- Double Shooty-Go-Blam (両手で
KGDRyōte de Kiai o Gyuttoshite Dōn?): Koichi uses both hands to shoot two repulsion force bursts at the same time.
- Slap Style (ツッパリスタイル Tsuppari Sutairu?): A variation of the Scrappy Thrust Style for close combat. Koichi dodges and evades the attacks of the opponent, to then counterattack using the Scrappy Thrust. First used against two thugs
- Shooty-Go-Kablam (
K G DKiai o Gyuttoshite Dōn?): Koichi can concentrate the repulsion force of his palms to shoot a small projectile, but powerful enough to pierce straight through metal cans, or even a person.
- The Crawler's Shooty-Go-Blam (ザ・クロウラー
- Extra Oomph (気合い Kiai?): Koichi uses a power boost to increase his own speed briefly.
- Knuckle Style (
KNUCKLE STYLENakkuru Sutairu?): Koichi projects several force fields on his knuckles and weaponizes them, allowing him to create deadly punches.
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
- Koichi's given name contains the kanji for "navigate" or "cruise" (航 ko?) and "one" (一 ichi?). His surname, Haimawari, contains the kanji for "ash" (灰 hai?) and "around" or "circumference" (廻 mawari?).
- His second pseudonym, "The Crawler", may be a reference to how Spider-Man is often called a wall-crawler. Koichi is even seen doing a similar pose to Spider-Man time and time again.
- In the initial cover art, Koichi can be seen wearing mismatched sneakers, one sneaker being a Nike Air Force 1 High Top in blue.
- Koichi's favorite food is curry.
- Koichi shares his birthday with Shinya Kamihara and Hoyo Makihara.
- (To Captain Celebrity) "I do what I can, and someone else picks up the slack. Come to think of it, that's always been my style!"
- (About Kazuho Haneyama) "Hey Pop. There's another pretty moon out tonight. Once you're all better... we'll have plenty to talk about. The small stuff. The silly stuff. The stuff that makes life just a little more fun. We'll talk until we're all talked out. And I know that might not be as soon as we'd like, but... that's okay. I'm not going anywhere. The same moon's looking down on us both."
|My Hero Academia: Vigilantes|
|Vigilantes||Naruhata Vigilantes (The Crawler • Pop☆Step • Knuckleduster) • Stendhal|
|Allies||Ichimoku Samazu • Jube Namimaru • Makoto Tsukauchi • Moyuru Tochi • Rapt Tokage • Soga Kugisaki|
|Heroes||Air Jet • All Might • Best Jeanist • Bigshot • Burnin • Captain Celebrity • Compass Kid • Death Arms • Edgeshot • Endeavor • Enigma • Eraser Head • Fat Gum • His Purple Highness • Ingenium • Kido • Loud Cloud • Midnight • Mirko • Mister Blaster • O'Clock II • Onemu Shinya • Onima • Present Mic • Ryukyu • Snipe • Thirteen|
|Organizations||Buster Union • Endeavor Agency (Flaming Sidekickers) • Police Force (Monika • Naomasa • Eizo) • Midnight Boys • Purple Revolution Agency • Team Idaten|
|Villain Factory||Queen Bee (Kuin Hachisuka & Bee☆Pop) • Mario Kugutsu • Hina • Number 6 • Instant Villains (Akira Iwako • Junkie Villain • Ryuichi Gojiyama • Monster Cat • Eiji Okameda • Rikiya Eno) • Next-Level Villains (Teruo Unagisawa • Kirihito Kamachi • Bat Villain • Octoid • Tommy S. Gordon • Willie Wanda • Bombers) • Anonymous|
|Other Villains||Three Sturm und Drang Brothers • Stendhal • Emperor Yotsuura • Ichiro Hotta • Jiro Hotta • Mazinger Brothers • Suicide Bomber • Abegawa Tenchu Kai (Rojiya Yonenaga • Tetsu • Haruhisa • Soji) • Robber Villain • Drunk Lee • Master Beast • The Rapper|
|Others||East Naruhata High Dance Squad • Feathers (Miu • Yu) • Mad Hatters • Pamela • Sisters of Saint Lila's Academy • Shoko Haimawari|