Maybe I failed this time, but... I'm not giving up. I'll show them I've got what it takes to make the hero course, and I'll become a greater hero than all of you.Hitoshi Shinso to Izuku Midoriya in "Victory or Defeat"
Hitoshi is a young man with messy, indigo-colored hair that flares out in large tufts around his head and notably straight teeth. His eyes are purple with white pupils, and are thin and somewhat triangular in shape, pointing downward, with no visible eyelashes. They're usually half-closed, and he has very dark eye bags underneath them.
During the Joint Training Arc, Hitoshi wears a prototype hero costume consisting of the long-sleeve winter version of the U.A. PE uniform: a dark blue shirt and pants with thick white lines over his upper body and down his legs which form the letters "U" and "A", and a white marking framed by a red line on each sleeve. In addition to this, he wears a detachable mask-like device over his mouth, known as the Artificial Vocal Cords, which aids him with the activation of his Quirk, a Capturing Weapon, the same as the one worn by Eraser Head, around his neck, and a pair of green and white sneakers.
After the Paranormal Liberation War, Hitoshi's hero costume has been finalized. He wears a short-sleeved black shirt, grey shoulder pads, fish net arm sleeves and fingerless gloves. His pants are also black, with purple rings around the bottom, with a mini speaker on each end, and white boots with purple tips. In addition, Hitoshi wears his Artificial Vocal Cords on his face and his Capturing Weapon around his neck.
Hitoshi is a stoic and straightforward person with an innate ability to spark conversation with anyone, despite holding a reserved and quiet attitude most of the time. He is shown to be rather clever, knowing just the right words to say to manipulate others into replying to his words, allowing him the opportunity to activate his Quirk. He does not seem to mind doing something underhanded if it means he can claim victory in a fight.
Due to having his Brainwashing Quirk perceived as evil throughout his whole life, Hitoshi has been somewhat feared by those who are aware of his power and has been discriminated against solely because of the Quirk he was born with. This led him to become resentful of those who had Quirks more associated with hero work, using Izuku Midoriya as an example by stating that someone "as blessed as him" would never understand what it's like to have an ability like his own. Regardless of his drawbacks, however, Hitoshi desires to become a Pro Hero more than anything, with a deep longing to disprove those that doubt his heroic intentions. Not only does he want to refute those who shame his abilities, but he also aspires to usurp students who walk the path towards becoming a Pro Hero, as he always wished to.
Overall Abilities: Initially, Hitoshi lacked direct combat abilities, choosing to rely on the power of his Quirk in battles. But after deciding to transfer to the Hero Department of U.A. High School, he underwent training that was overseen by his mentor, Eraser Head. Hitoshi displayed the results of his training when he, Class 1-A, and Class 1-B took part in the Joint Training Battle. During the two rounds of the said training in which he partook, Hitoshi also showcased excellent camaraderie, using the voice-modifying function of his Artificial Vocal Cords, as well as his Super Move, Persona Chords, to confuse his opponents, blindsiding them into being left wide open to the surprise attacks of Hitoshi's teammates. Despite complaining that he couldn't use half of what he learned during his training, his aptitude is noted by those such as Denki Kaminari and Tsuyu Asui. As pointed out by Midnight, Hitoshi went on to replay the fight in his head, wanting to pick up on areas where he fell short or could improve upon, further demonstrating his great battle practice and determination.
- Binding Cloth: As he saw himself in Hitoshi, Shota decided to train him in secret in the fighting style he developed that involves the use of Capturing Weapon. After several months of training, Hitoshi is able to make use of this style for the first time in the Joint Training Battle. At the beginning of the first round, Hitoshi successfully brainwashes Jurota Shishida and attempts to demonstrate his skill with the Capturing Weapon, but his reaction time is too slow as he needed to employ the cloth at a much faster rate to make his attack more effective. After Denki's plan to divide the opposing team's attention succeeds, Jurota seeks out Hitoshi, who effectively uses his Binding Cloth technique to blindside and daze the rampaging student long enough for Tsuyu Asui to fling Hiryu Rin at the behemoth, securing victory for Hitoshi's team. Despite the victory, Hitoshi is frustrated because he could not apply much of his Hero knowledge to the fight. Shota tells him that he would not need to be present if he could already do everything, and says it took him six years to master his capture weapon.
Though he can have multiple people under his control at once, he can only activate his power on one person at a time. He was also initially unable to have his victims do things that require some kind of advanced brain function, like talking or writing a name from their memory. However, in an effort to keep up with his future classmates in the hero course, he trained hard and developed his Quirk to a point where he can command people to talk.
Using a megaphone or anything that makes his voice artificial will not allow his Quirk to activate, as the said devices would transform his voice into an electronic signal.
- Persona Chords (もう一つの声帯：ペルソナコード Mō Hitotsu no Seitai: Perusona Kōdo?): Using his Artificial Vocal Cords, Hitoshi can modify his vocal tone to imitate the voices of other people, deceiving his enemies so they respond and subject themselves to his Brainwashing.
Artificial Vocal Cords (もう一つの声帯 Mō hitotsu no seitai?): A non-electric device that allows Hitoshi to mimic another person's voice. He uses this in conjunction with his Quirk to trick opponents into answering him, creating an opportunity for Hitoshi to activate his Quirk.
Capturing Weapon: Like Eraser Head, Hitoshi uses a long cloth scarf made from steel wire alloy woven with carbon nanofibers. This scarf is excellent for grabbing things, restraining enemies, and enhancing his mobility.
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
- Hitoshi's name is comprised of the kanji for "heart, mind" (心 shin?), "manipulate, operate" (操 sō?), "person" (人 hito?), and "use" (使 shi?).
- The kanji that makes up his surname can also mean "chastity" and "honest" when written together, as well as "to rig into one's favor."
- Hitoshi's surname is also pronounced similarly to the Japanese word for "heart" in biological terms (心臓 shinzō?), and both words are also written with the same first character.
- Hitoshi's rankings in the Popularity Polls are as follows:
- Ranked 12th in the First Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 14th in the Second Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 10th in the Third Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 23rd in the Fourth Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 17th in the Fifth Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 13th in the Sixth Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 10th in the Seventh Popularity Poll.
- Hitoshi ranked in the Top 16 of the U.A. Sports Festival First-Year Stage.
- Hitoshi likes cats and enjoys bicycling.
- He shares his liking of cats with Shota, his mentor.
- According to the Jump Festa 2017 interview with Horikoshi, Hitoshi is expected to have some interesting development in the future. This likely refers to the Joint Training Arc and, later, his graduation to the Hero Department.
- Hitoshi's purple hair and mind control abilities may be a reference to the Marvel Comics supervillain The Purple Man.
- Furthermore, upon the reveal of his hero costume, Hitoshi's pose while dangling from his binding cloth strongly resembles Spider-Man.
- Hitoshi shares his birthday with Natsuo Todoroki.
- Hitoshi's hero costume was initially unveiled during the My Hero Academia: Drawing Smash Exhibition in 2021, almost a year prior to its official reveal in the manga.
- (To Izuku) "Maybe I failed this time, but... I'm not giving up. I'll show them I've got what it takes to make the hero course, and I'll become a greater hero than all of you."
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 34 and Episode 20.
- My Hero Academia: Ultra Archive: The Official Character Guide.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 197 and Episode 92.
- My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 340.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 217 and Episode 100.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 198 and Episode 99.
- My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 344 (p. 4-5).
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 195 and Episode 91.
- My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 34.
|U.A. High School|
|Class 1-A Students||Denki Kaminari • Eijiro Kirishima • Fumikage Tokoyami • Hanta Sero • Izuku Midoriya • Katsuki Bakugo • Koji Koda • Kyoka Jiro • Mashirao Ojiro • Mezo Shoji • Mina Ashido • Minoru Mineta • Momo Yaoyorozu • Ochaco Uraraka • Rikido Sato • Shoto Todoroki • Tenya Ida • Toru Hagakure • Tsuyu Asui • Yuga Aoyama|
|Class 1-B Students||Hiryu Rin • Ibara Shiozaki • Itsuka Kendo • Juzo Honenuki • Jurota Shishida • Kinoko Komori • Kojiro Bondo • Kosei Tsuburaba • Manga Fukidashi • Neito Monoma • Nirengeki Shoda • Pony Tsunotori • Reiko Yanagi • Sen Kaibara • Setsuna Tokage • Shihai Kuroiro • Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu • Togaru Kamakiri • Yosetsu Awase • Yui Kodai|
|Department of Support||Mei Hatsume • Bibimi Kenranzaki|
|General Department||Hitoshi Shinso • Chikuchi Togeike • Tsutsutaka Agoyamato|
|Second Year Students||Mawata Fuwa|
|Third Year Students||Mirio Togata • Nejire Hado • Tamaki Amajiki • Bibimi Kenranzaki • Yuyu Haya|
|Staff||All Might • Cementoss • Ectoplasm • Eraser Head • Hound Dog • Lunch Rush • Midnight • Nezu • Power Loader • Present Mic • Recovery Girl • Snipe • Thirteen • Vlad King • Gran Torino (Retired)|
|Former Students||All Might • Endeavor • Best Jeanist • Midnight • Eraser Head • Loud Cloud • Present Mic • Mister Blaster|
|Locations||Class 1-A • Class 1-B • Conference Room • Ground Beta • Ground Gamma • Ground Omega • Gym Gamma • Heights Alliance • Lunch Rush Cafeteria • P.E. Grounds • Recovery Girl's Nurse's Office • Sports Festival Stadium • Teachers Lounge • U.A.'s Development Studio • Unforeseen Simulation Joint|