Brats like you sure know how to pass the blame. It's no good. I don't really hold a grudge against 'em about my eye. I killed 'em, just like I wanted to. And they tried to stop me. We all did our best and had to deal with the results. What's bad is when you can't put your money where your mouth is... like your dear mommy and daddy!Goto Imasuji to Kota Izumi about his parents in "Stake Your Life, Hero!"
Goto Imasuji (
He was incarcerated in Tartarus, until he was freed by All For One. He proceeded to go on a spree of destruction. However, after being defeated by Izuku Midoriya, Goto was arrested and imprisoned once again.
Goto is a large, bulky and extremely muscular man set wide with short, spiky blond hair and small black eyes. He has a large scar going across the left side of his face, his left eye replaced with a prosthetic one, and he has another, smaller scar on the right side of his forehead. As of his appearance after the Paranormal Liberation War, Goto's hair has grown longer and has developed stubble all over his chin.
His outfit consists of a black, hooded cloak and a white hockey mask with multiple holes. Underneath this, he wears a red tank top, a dark jacket that hangs around his waist, dark green pants, and black knee-high boots.
Befitting his appearance, Goto has a very sadistic and bloodthirsty personality. He openly admits that he wants to use his Quirk freely to kill. Goto enjoys killing and tormenting those he fights, often saying "show me your blood!". Unlike most of the other members of the Vanguard Action Squad, he joined the League of Villains just to let loose with his brutal tendencies, rather than following Stain's ideology.
Even so, Goto does have ideals of his own. He believes that people should deliver on whatever promises they make to others or else their words mean nothing. To him, "right" and "wrong" are determined by one's ability to accomplish their intentions. When he fought Water Hose, he viewed it as a battle of wills between his intent to kill and Water Hose's intent to stop him; as he was victorious, he was right and Water Hose was wrong. Conversely, Goto accepts the loss of his left eye as the result of Water Hose's intent and bears them no ill will for it. He even spoke highly of the heroes to their son.
Goto's signature trait is his overconfidence which later proved to be his greatest flaw. Goto believed himself superior to Izuku Midoriya because his Quirk's augmentation powers were more potent than Izuku's. This superiority complex resulted in Muscular using only part of his power to toy with Izuku. His overconfidence is also what caused him to become distracted during their fight. Izuku was able to land a powerful smash against Muscular on two separate occasions because he allowed himself to be distracted by Kota Izumi.
Despite his ego, Muscular does compliment Izuku's strengths. After getting hit by a full-power smash, Muscular admitted Izuku is powerful and decided to stop holding back. However, this never stopped him from taunting Izuku during their bout.
Overall Abilities: Muscular is a very dangerous villain, being one of the strongest members of the League of Villains' Vanguard Action Squad. His incredible combat aptitude allows him to single-handedly overpower, and potentially kill, his adversaries, most notably, Water Hose. Muscular also has a great handle on his Quirk, Muscle Augmentation, which he used to exponentially increase his physical might in parts of his body, or his whole body. By infusing his heightened brawn into his melee combat abilities, Muscular overwhelms his opponents with blurring speeds while delivering heavily reinforced strikes, making him a highly formidable force to face in battle. Though red-blooded, Muscular does sustain some form of injury after a bout, such as his missing left eye caused by his confrontation with Water Hose. Muscular's bloodthirsty nature and battle efficiency earned him the epithet, "The Carnal Murderer".
During the Vanguard Action Squad Invasion, Muscular was more than capable of repeatedly overpowering Izuku Midoriya, a One For All inheritor who is one of the most powerful students at U.A. High School. When Izuku delivered a 100% Detroit Smash, which is equal to that strength of All Might, Muscular emerged virtually unscathed, albeit at the cost of his tank top and one of his prosthetic left eyes. After the said attack, Muscular revealed that he was holding back a great deal of his might, and decided to fight seriously. At full power, Muscular not only continued to dominate Izuku, but nearly killed him too, even as the young hero employed another 100% "Detroit Smash", had it not been for the intervention of Kota. Kota's actions inspired Izuku to go beyond 100% of One For All in order to overcome Muscular's power and finally defeat the villain. Battling against Izuku indicates that Muscular's overall prowess is enough to contend with someone of All Might's caliber.
After being freed from Tartarus by All For One and Tomura Shigaraki, Muscular went on a rampage and eventually encountered Grand and Turtle Neck, withstanding the vibrating student's "Tremoring Earth" Super Move, but the villain's attempted carnage was halted by the arrival of Deku. However, unlike their first encounter, Muscular was overwhelmed by Deku's new multitude of Quirks and was unable to land a blow on him. As their clash reached its climax, Muscular's muscle tendons sporadically unraveled due to Grand's maximum-output vibrations, leading to a weakened Muscular being soundly defeated by Deku a second time.
Muscle Augmentation (
He has also been shown to use his Quirk for defense by covering his whole body in an armor of augmented muscle fibers, protecting him from blunt force and powerful vibrations. Goto can can cover his body in more than 12,000 layers of muscle. It is later shown that many of his muscle fibers can be depleted of energy if Goto takes too much damage, significantly weakening his body.
- Immense Strength: Thanks to his Quirk, Goto exhibits monstrous levels of physical strength. Even when holding back, he is able to shatter rock and overpower Izuku with minimal effort, such as sending the young hero flying with remarkable force with a mere kick. When fighting seriously, Goto's reinforced strikes were able to cause destruction on a scale to similar to Izuku's 100% "Detroit Smash". He was also able to directly overpower Izuku, who was using One For All at 100% at the time, in a physical clash. After being freed from prison, Goto demonstrated the capacity to destroy buildings, whether its by jumping from them, ramming them, or using his bare hands. Even while weakened by Grand's "Tremoring Earth", he displayed enough strength to lift and throw the top of a building with ease.
- Immense Durability: Goto possesses a frightening level of resistance to physical harm. He was able to take the full brunt of Izuku's 100% "Detroit Smash", which is on the same level as All Might's power, with minimal injury. However, he was incapacitated only after Izuku went beyond his limit with One For All. Even after the battle, Goto was shown fully awake, and fighting with his restraints while Izuku was in a coma. As shown when he escapes from Tartarus, his enhanced muscle fibers are also able to bear the brunt of gunfire, as well as remain undamaged when crashing through skyscrapers. His remarkable durability was again demonstrated when he withstood Grand's "Tremoring Earth" at point-blank range, and received very minimal damage. Shortly after however, Goto's muscle fibers started to unravel, allowing Deku to finish the weakened villain.
- Immense Speed: Goto has shown to be surprisingly swift despite his large bulk. With the increased muscle mass in his legs, Goto is able to launch himself off the ground at blurring speeds. When he battled Izuku, Goto caught him off-guard several times, making Izuku realize that running away was not an option; Goto would overtake him and Kota in seconds, especially since Izuku was exhausted from training that day.
|Desire to Kill||6/6 S|
Prosthetic Left Eyes: Goto keeps a small collection of replacement eyes in his left pocket in case his regular one is damaged or loosened from its socket. Each one sports a unique design. Goto picks a replacement depending on his current mood.
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
- Muscular's English voice actor, Jim Foronda, also voices Tsutsutaka Agoyamato.
- Muscular's surname contains the kanji for "now" (今 ima?) and "muscle fiber" (筋 suji?), and his first name contains "strong" (強 gō?), and the kanji for the Big Dipper (斗 to?).
- The "masu" in his surname is homophonous with part of the Japanese pronunciation of the English word "muscle" (マッスル massuru?).
- (To Izuku about Kota) "Haa ha ha! Blood! Love it. So fun! What was that, again? You're gonna save him, right?! So why're you running?! That's a weird way to save someone!!"
- (To Izuku) "My Quirk's a muscle enhancer. These muscle fibers of mine can't be contained even by my skin. They raise the standard in speed!! And power!! Get what I'm saying?! You're nothing but...an inferior version of me! You understand where I'm coming from?! I can't help but laugh!"
- (To Kota about his parents) "Brats like you sure know how to pass the blame. It's no good. I don't really hold a grudge against 'em about my eye. I killed 'em, just like I wanted to. And they tried to stop me. We all did our best and had to deal with the results. What's bad is when you can't put your money where your mouth is...like your dear mommy and daddy!"
- (To Izuku when asked about the League of Villains' goal) "Like I care. All I wanna do is rampage. As long as I get to use my Quirk without holding back, I'm good."
|Independent||Stain • Giant Villain • Toxic Chainsaw • Habit Headgear • Sludge Villain • Gentle Criminal • La Brava • Oji Harima • Teruo Hazukashi • Innsmouth Crew (Innsmouth • Innsmouth's Siblings) • L.A. Villains • Street Thieves • Cider House • Creature Rejection Clan • Starservant • Ending|
|Paranormal Liberation Front|
|Grand Commander||Tomura Shigaraki|
|Lieutenants||Re-Destro • Trumpet • Twice • Dabi • Geten • Himiko Toga • Skeptic • Spinner • Mr. Compress|
|Other Members||Kyudai Garaki|
|Nomu||Johnny • Mocha • Woman • Ribby • Robot • Chubs • Eleph|
|Associates||Giran • Hawks|
|League of Villains|
|Original Members||All For One • Nomu • Kyudai Garaki • Gigantomachia • Kurogiri • Tomura Shigaraki|
|Recruits||Dabi • Himiko Toga • Magne • Moonfish • Mr. Compress • Muscular • Mustard • Spinner • Twice|
|Standard Nomu||Nomu (U.S.J.) • Nomu (Hosu) • Nomu (Chainsaw) • Johnny|
|High-End Nomu||Hood • Woman • Ribby • Robot • Chubs • Eleph|
|Leaders||Overhaul • Chronostasis • Mimic|
|Eight Bullets||Shin Nemoto • Rikiya Katsukame • Toya Setsuno • Yu Hojo • Soramitsu Tabe • Deidoro Sakaki • Kendo Rappa • Hekiji Tengai|
|Meta Liberation Army|
|Leaders of Current Group||Re-Destro • Curious • Trumpet • Skeptic|
|Other Members of Current Group||Geten • Slidin' Go|
|Team Reservoir Dogs|
|Members||Yellow • Red • Blue • Green|
|Members||Wolfram • Nobu • Daigo • Swordkil|
|Members||Nine • Slice • Chimera • Mummy|
|Independent||Cow Cowboy • Villain Bots • Three Sturm und Drang Brothers • Emperor Yotsuura • Ichiro Hotta • Jiro Hotta • Suicide Bomber • Mazinger Brothers • Robber Villain • Garvey|
|Members||Queen Bee (Kuin Hachisuka & Bee☆Pop) • Mario Kugutsu • Hina • Number 6|
|Instant Villains||Soga Kugizaki • Moyuru Tochi • Rapt Tokage • Akira Iwako • Teruo Unagisawa • Monster Cat • Chuma Yakumaru • Ryuichi Gojiyama • Eiji Okameda • Rikiya Eno|
|Next-Level Villains||Teruo Unagisawa • Kirihito Kamachi • Bat Villain • Octoid • Tommy S. Gordon • Willie Wanda • Bombers|
|Abegawa Tenchu Kai|
|Members||Rojiya Yonenaga • Tetsu • Haruhisa • Soji|
|Team-Up Missions Series|
|Wild Villains||Bearhead • Curator • Zookeeper|
|Volcano Thieves||Volcano • Dusty Ash • Gust Boy|