That's right, you'll never be All Might, or Deku. Because I've only ever done battle with the weakness within. So don't even dwell... on the notion of some grand rebirth. Go on, keep cursing the true enemy - that weakness. That's... the only thing... that has kept you alive.Enji Todoroki to Endeavor in "Regarding the Enemy"
Following All Might's retirement, Endeavor temporarily became the No. 1 Hero after being the No. 2 Hero for a very long time and after the latest Hero Billboard Chart JP announcement, officially became the No. 1 Hero.
Enji is a tall, sturdily-built man with a very muscular physique. He has short crimson hair which he wears spiked up around his head and sharp turquoise eyes. His beard and mustache appear to be made of fire, but when he voluntarily turns off the flames on his face, a small amount stubble shows around his jaw.
His hero costume is comprised of a tight, navy turquoise bodysuit, with lines of flames streaming across his chest, upper torso, arms, and most prominently his shoulders. He uses his flames as a makeshift mask around his eyes, and the tall boots he wears appear to be either made of fire themselves or constantly left alight, as only their soles and laces are visible around the flames. He sports white bracers on his lower arms, styled in a cage pattern, and a blue belt with a pouch attached on either side.
After officially becoming the No. 1 Pro Hero, Endeavor's costume was upgraded. His bracers have been redesigned to look sharper and armor-like, and they now completely encase his arms. On the back of his hands are grill handguards that have a set of holes to flush a torrent of flames out the back of his hands if needed, and his fingers are exposed from the base knuckles.
His bodysuit now has large stripes running across his torso, with the spaces in-between being completely engulfed in his flames. Endeavor also added shoulder pads and a new belt, which appear to be made of the same material as his bracers. His belt is a stylized kanji for ¨Flame¨ (炎?).
During his battle against Hood, the left side of his face was greatly damaged after being hit by a surprise attack. After receiving surgery and being healed by Recovery Girl's Heal Quirk, his eye was shown to be alright, though he now has a large, jagged scar reaching from his hairline all the way down to his chin.
Shoto has described his father as a prideful and ambitious man, driven by his goal to surpass the No. 1 Hero, All Might.
This obsessive drive to surpass All Might in terms of strength and power has followed Enji throughout his entire life, with repeated failure having plagued him since his youth. Dedicated to his studies and hero work, Enji strived to become the absolute strongest Pro Hero in the country, but the figure of All Might proved itself too much of an insurmountable obstacle for him or anyone else to overcome, leaving Enji in a growing state of despair as he became more and more aware that closing the gap between him and the Symbol of Peace was futile. As a result, Enji turned into a cold, callous person who didn't care for anything but his impossible dream, something a young Inasa Yoarashi would notice by just looking at his eyes.
Enji has always been aware of his own limitations, but due to his stubbornness, he never once thought about relinquishing his wish, wanting to accomplish it at any cost, and even passing on his aspirations to another person if necessary. As a way to balance the downsides of his Quirk, something he always found cumbersome, Enji sought to have a child with an ice Quirk user, in order to create someone that could inherit his will, and conceive a child who had the perfect mix of both fire and ice. This way, Enji would not only have his Quirk be inherited but also his training and experiences, by a "perfect" successor.
Enji would come to be a cold, even abusive father and husband, with his actions negatively affecting all members of the family he formed. Shoto, his youngest child, was considered his masterpiece; a tool that possessed all the right elements to exceed All Might's ability and nothing else. As a result, Enji focused all his hopes on Shoto, forcing him through incredibly harsh training from a young age and showing no concern for his personal desires. The rest of the children were ignored and perceived as "failures" that weren't allowed to interact with their younger sibling. When his wife succumbed to a mental breakdown and attacked Shoto, Enji sent her away to a psychiatric ward solely to prevent her from getting in the way of his child's development. At the same time, he wasn't completely without feelings and concern for his family. Upon learning that his first son, Toya, had stronger fire powers but a body that is unable to handle his own flames, Enji quickly stopped forcing his efforts on Toya in fear for his well-being.
After the events of the Kamino Incident, which resulted in All Might's retirement and Enji's succession as the No. 1 Hero, Enji's character took a shift in course. Enji's interest in the title of strongest Pro Hero was always based on earning it through merit and ability, valuing the work he had invested in attaining the No. 1 spot more than the spot itself. As such, he became very furious about reaching the top through a technicality, feeling that his efforts from a lifetime were now wasted. For as much as he disliked his longtime rival All Might, Enji still respected his power and feats as the No. 1 Hero, to the point of not believing that the "real" All Might was a sick and weak-looking man.
Sensing the rising crime and unrest in a society that had recently lost their Symbol of Peace, Enji began questioning his role and duty as the new No. 1 Hero. After a conversation with All Might about what being the No. 1 Hero means to the world, Enji started considering the way he treated his family up until that point. He starts visiting his estranged wife with frequency, even though the doctors in charge of her recovery have stated that this action is not best for her, and wishes to become an actual father figure to his children, despite Natsuo's vocal desire to not have the older man involved in his life. While aware that his two sons resent him, Enji still attempted to atone for his past actions and made an effort to connect with his children, knowing that he wouldn't be forgiven easily, he at least wanted to repent and help them recover from the dreadful childhood he made them go through. However, Enji soon comes to the conclusion that his family are better off without him and would go on to buy a new home for his children and their mother while he would remain by himself, willing to distance himself from them so they could be happy.
As a Pro Hero, Enji is depicted as confident, reliable, and imposing, thanks to his excellent track record of solved cases. His rude and aggressive personality is well-known to the public, with his fans thinking of them as a selling point while others are scared by his overall violent attitude. Endeavor is particularly sensitive to being compared to All Might as he's always painted unfavorably towards the former No. 1 Hero. Despite this, he does make an effort to interact with his fans upon becoming the new No. 1, as seen with him greeting Hiroshi Tameda, although he was shocked to see his new, more amicable side be met with harsh criticism. Furthermore, Enji realised that he could have been a friendly and kind Hero like All Might had he really wanted the prestige and respect that the latter had received, but instead became obsessed with reaching his position at the very top of Japan’s Hero rankings, which led him down his dark and bitter path.
Enji, whether during work or outside of it, is known for his bad temper. He has a very no-nonsense attitude towards those he meets and is easily angered by goofier personalities. This, however, does not seem to affect his competence as a Pro Hero in any shape or form. Thanks to his studies, training, and valuable experience obtained as the No. 2 Hero, Enji knows how to strategically direct forces in battle, immediately understand the situation he's in, and resolves incidents as fast as possible, with minimal casualties. Enji and his agency pride themselves as experts in the three basics of heroism (suppression, rescue, and evacuation), believing that a true hero excels at all of those areas.
However, even Enji can have lapses in his bravery and immense resolve. After Natsuo was kidnapped and held hostage by Ending, Enji froze in place and was unable to move, fearing that his son would never speak to him again had he saved him, only to embrace Natsuo in relief after he was saved. Following the Paranormal Liberation War, after Enji's seemingly deceased son was revealed to be the League of Villains member Dabi, Enji fell into tears of despair after realizing that his actions as a father led to his son becoming a villain and mass murderer, going as far as to tearfully apologize to his family for all the harm he caused them, while also realizing that his hero career was doomed upon his past being revealed to the public.
After being encouraged by Shoto and supported by his family to confront Dabi however, Enji manages to regain his strength and willingness to move forward. Rather than lying or trying to deflect any blame, he comes clean to the public about his past and promises to do everything he can to defeat the villains. Even with people blaming him and the other heroes for the current state of things, Enji only tells the public to throw any burdens or complaints they have at him while he promises to bring society back with everything he has.
During the Second War, it is revealed that Enji's motivation to be a hero stemmed from when he was a child, after he saw his father try and save a little girl from a villain, only for both of them to end up being killed. For all his strength and achievements, it's also revealed that Enji is deeply insecure of himself, knowing that he'll never be a hero like All Might or Deku and that he's faced this insecurity his entire life, to the point where he chose "Endeavor" as his hero name to reflect all his hard work and efforts. Enji accepts that he's responsible for his son becoming a villain, and that the people Dabi has killed fall on him as well, but resolves that he'll continue to atone for his crimes so that the next generation of heroes won't be burdened by his mistakes.
Overall Abilities: Endeavor was ranked 2nd of Japan's heroes, before taking the spot of No. 1 after All Might's retirement. He is known for having the most solved cases out of any crime fighter, and by the age of 20, Endeavor took his place as the No. 2 Pro Hero. He also possesses a proficient handle on his powerful Quirk, Hellflame, using his flames to overwhelm his opponents with extreme heat, becoming airborne with flame propulsion, among other application.
As he is ranked highly, Endeavor is a very powerful hero, which has been proven in his fight against the League of Villains. He has repeatedly faced and defeated multiple grades of Nomu without sustaining any damage, something for which he is praised by the likes of All For One, history's most dangerous and experienced villain. During the Kamino Incident, Endeavor teamed up with Edgeshot to temporarily battle All For One, and emerge unscathed. Endeavor has also displayed the ability to contend with High End Nomu such as Hood and Woman with help from other heroes. In the aforementioned bout with Hood, Endeavor displayed his high speed and power by dicing a large portion of a skyscraper before it could collapse, as well as incinerate most of Hood's body thrice. In the Paranormal Liberation War, Endeavor proved to be integral against the 75% body-enhanced Tomura Shigaraki, inflicting the most amount of damage (alongside Izuku Midoriya) that caused the villain's body to eventually break down, in spite of the Flame Hero being outmatched by Tomura. Shoto even remarked that Endeavor was the only one who had any hope of fighting against All For One.
- Enhanced Strength: After years of physical training, Endeavor obtained incredible physical strength, though it is not at the level of All Might. Impressively, he was able to knock the enormous Gigantomachia backwards with a flame-propelled skull bash.
- Enhanced Durability: Endeavor possesses incredible durability as he was able to withstand being thrown through multiple concrete-laced skyscraper walls by Hood, who was using multiple Quirks, and emerge with moderate injuries. When fighting a body-modified Tomura Shigaraki, Endeavor endured the impalement of the latter’s Rivet Stab Quirk and several of his augmented blows despite the villain possessing physical strength nearly rivaling that of All Might. Afterwards, Endeavor was able skull-bash the thick-bodied Gigantomachia without suffering significant head trauma, but the pyromancer was knocked unconscious by his own attack.
- Enhanced Stamina: Endeavor is far more resistant to pain than the average Pro Hero, as seen when he was able to stand up, despite receiving numerous attacks from Hood, and long after his body should have become unable to move. During the climax of the Paranormal Liberation War, Endeavor‘s movements were stymied by his Quirk overuse burning his lungs, and being repeatedly stabbed by Tomura's Rivet Stab Quirk. In spite of the said injuries, the pyrokinetic was still able to remain standing and eventually knock down Gigantomachia, but Endeavor himself was put out of commission afterwards.
- Enhanced Reflexes: Due to training to become the No. 1 hero, Endeavor learned to react exceedingly fast to dangerous situations and people in need. During his battle with Hood he could counter one of his attacks with his "Jet Burn" in spite of his clouded vision. Later, while having a conversation outside with Izuku, Endeavor was able to react to a cry for help before the sound of the cry reached the One For All inheritor.
Keen Intellect: Endeavor has extraordinary intelligence, having used it to tally up the most resolved criminal cases in history. He has very keen deductive skills, shown when he deduced that Izuku's Quirk resembled that of All Might after only seeing it used briefly. During the Hosu Incident, Endeavor identified the nature of Four-Eyed Nomu's Absorption and Release Quirk and took notice that the creature still retained damage from the low-temperature flame attack Endeavor employed, even after the creature redirected it back at the Flame Hero. Throughout his battle against Hood, Endeavor displayed more of his intelligence as he analyzed the situation against the High-End Nomu, while fighting against it.
When he witnessed Hood regenerate itself, while recollecting how the lighter-colored Nomus lacked the said ability, Endeavor surmised that the black Nomus have more abilities than the other Nomu breeds. Endeavor later recalled how Hood was seeking a strong opponent, and discerned that the High-End Nomu wasn't interested in weaker opponents, hence the reason the villain spawned lower-level Nomu to hinder the ignikinetic's reinforcements. Seeing Hood remove its own head twice made Endeavor realize that said body part is the central weak point of the villain. In the climax of the strenuous bout, Endeavor took notice of Hood acting more feral and the Super Regeneration keeping up with the internal burns. Intending to avoid collateral damage, Endeavor directed Hawks with an arrow of flame to use his nearly incinerated plumages to help Endeavor take to skies even further. In the midst of facing the body-modified Tomura, Endeavor realized that the villain was able to leap vast distances through the air, was not due to Quirk usage, but due to pure strength yielding air pressure, similar to All Might.
Indomitable Will: One of Endeavor's most prominent traits is his ability to never give up, befitting of his hero name. This was shown in two prominent instances: where he continues to bridge the gap between him and All Might regardless of the differences in their abilities, and continues to push past his limits and injuries in his battle against Hood. In the latter instance, Endeavor, seeing his old self reflected in Hood, resolved to no longer be the misguided and virulent person he has been his whole life, and used that resolution to go beyond his bodily limitations and finally defeat the High-End Nomu for good, all while finally embracing U.A. High School's "Plus Ultra" credo that he previously deplored.
In the climax of the Paranormal Liberation War, after failing to destroy an body-augmented Tomura Shigaraki, an injured and exhausted Endeavor was able to summon the strength to attack Gigantomachia in spite of Dabi's attempts to break his spirit thanks to the words of Izuku. In the aftermath of the war, Endeavor's will was revealed to have been monumentally shaken in regards to Dabi revealing himself as Endeavor's thought-to-be-deceased son, Toya, which took the entire Todoroki family, including his wife, Rei, to give him enough willpower to stand back up.
He appears to be immune to other flames, and can easily control the shape and temperature of the blaze as well. Enji's level of control enables him to utilize his flames in unorthodox ways, such as concentrating flames and heat to his feet to achieve limited flight. He has been shown shaping his flames into long-range and melee weapons, such as when he struck a Nomu with a spear made of fire.
Using too much of his power will overheat Endeavor's body, causing a depletion of stamina, and an impairment of his physical functions.
- Flashfire Fist (
赫 灼 熱 拳Kaku Shakunekken?): Endeavor's signature technique, he raises his fire's temperature to its highest level and maximizes his power. Doing so, the Flame Hero can unleash devastating flame attacks or increase his speed dramatically.
- Jet Burn (ジェットバーン Jettobān?): This attack allows Endeavor to shoot a blast of fire at his desired target. This attack is quite powerful, as it damaged High-End, and sent him flying out of the building. According to Endeavor, this attack cannot be used too much as it heats up his body a lot.
- Hell Spider (ヘルスパイダー Heru Supaidā?): This attack allows Endeavor to send out long, thin blasts of fire out of the tips of his fingers which he can use to cut through this target. He is able to slice the top half of a skyscraper into many pieces using this attack. Like before, this attack cannot be used too much.
- Hell's Curtain (ヘル カーテイン Heru Kātein?): Endeavor throws both of his fists back while concentrating all of his flames into a single point. He then throws his arms forward, emitting a massive blanket of flames on to his opponent.
- Prominence Burn (プロミネンスバーン Purominensu Bān?): This attack allows Endeavor to launch a massive, concentrated beam of fire from his entire body that is able to vaporize his target. Endeavor himself stated that this is his most powerful technique.
- Hellfire Storm (
業 火 燎 原ヘルファイアストーム Gōka Ryōgen Herufaiasutōmu?): This attack allows Endeavor to create a powerful flaming whirlwind that burns opponents within its range.
- Hell Minefield (
烈 火 蹂 躙ヘルマインフィールド Rekka Jūrin Herumainfīrudo?): Endeavor breaks the ground with his fist and ignites his flames, sending a wave of fire towards his opponent. He then sends a second eruption of flames underneath, creating a massive explosion.
- Vanishing Fist (バニシングフィスト Banishingu Fisuto?): Endeavor rushes towards his opponent while engulfing his arm in flames before delivering a powerful hook punch. This technique was first used against Tomura Shigaraki during the Paranormal Liberation War Arc.
- Vanishing Jet Burn (?): A combination of Jet Burn and Vanishing Fist, Endeavor forms a giant fist using his flames and blasts his opponent away with great force.
- Ignited Arrow (イグナイテッドアロー Igunaiteddo Arō?): Using this attack, Endeavor pulls his arm back and launches a scorching arrow of flames.
|Helicopter Parent||6/6 S|
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
|Battles & Events|
Vigilantes Chapter Appearances
- Enji's name contains the kanji for "roar" (轟 todoroki?), "flame" (炎 en?), and "boss" (司 ji?), which is also a common component of male names.
- Written with the Latin alphabet, his name is the same as that of the fire god in Albanian mythology, Enji, worshiped by the Illyrians.
- Enji likes to keep his Quirk active around his face even while outside of work, in order to showcase power and intimidation.
- Enji's blood type is AB, while Shoto's is O. For that to be possible, Enji must have a rare genetic mutation known as Cis AB, the only genetically possible way for an AB blood type person to have a child with O blood type.
- Enji's favorite food is kuzumochi.
- In the original concept, Enji was an instructor at U.A.. This concept was discarded, due to it shifting the balance of power towards the protagonists too much, as having both the 1st and 2nd ranking hero in the protagonist's side would mean most conflicts would be easy to deal with.
- He shares his birthday with Taishiro Toyomitsu and Shuichi Iguchi.
- Enji is ranked first on the "Heroes That Look Like Villains" ranking.
- Enji's Rankings in the Popularity Polls are as follows:
- Enji ranked 8th in the Fourth and Sixth Popularity Polls.
- Enji ranked 18th in the Fifth Popularity Poll.
- Enji's hero name means "attempting to achieve a goal", which is very fitting for his character.
- Enji overall shares many parallels with Katsuki Bakugo:
- Both possess ignition-based Quirks, such as Hellflame for Enji and Explosion for Katsuki.
- Both aim to be the number one hero.
- Both have a rivalry with an One For All user, such as Enji to Toshinori and Katsuki to Izuku.
- Both are known for their hot tempers and aggressive attitude.
- Both were known for their lack of cooperative skills, having improved them throughout the story.
- Both act abusively toward a major character, such as Enji to his son Shoto and Katsuki to Izuku.
- Both express their remorse after understanding All Might's words.
- Though he ranks 1st in the overall Hero rankings, he ranks 4th in the Hero popularity rankings.
- (To Shoto about using the fire half of his Quirk) "So you've finally accepted it! Yes! Excellent!! It all starts now for you! With my blood pumping through your veins, you will surpass me...you will fulfill my ambitions!!"
- (To All Might on being the Symbol of Peace) "I gave Shoto everything. By age 20, I'd already climbed to the #2 position. It was because I made that climb that I understood... unless I reached the summit, it was all for nothing. If all I cared about was titles, I could've worn a smile like you... and played the part of the lovable fool. But I wanted to be the strongest!"
- (To Hood during their fight) "I've hated this school credo for as long as I can remember! PLUS ULTRA; PROMINENCE BURN!"
- (To Katsuki lecturing him on his attitude) "Bakugo, you said you wanted to learn what you couldn't do right? your ability is top notch, well for a rookie at least. But as you are, you will never be able to surpass me. This winter might just be training, but if you're too slow, you won't be able to use your normal excuse anymore. This is not a classroom, if you're ever too slow, you won't be losing points, but rather human lives."
|Heroes||Airjet • All Might • Backdraft • Best Jeanist • Briareos • Cementoss • Centipeder • Crimson Riot • Crust • Death Arms • Ectoplasm • Edgeshot • Eel Boy • En • Endeavor • Eraser Head • Fat Gum • Fourth Kind • Gang Orca • Gran Torino • Gunhead • Gyges • Hawks • Hound Dog • Ingenium • Kamui Woods • Kesagiri Man • Lady Nagant • Lariat • Lunch Rush • Majestic • Mandalay • Manual • Midnight • Mirko • Mr. Brave • Mr. Principal • Ms. Joke • Mt. Lady • Nana Shimura • Native • Pixie-Bob • Power Loader • Present Mic • Ragdoll • Recovery Girl • Rock Lock • Ryukyu • Selkie • Shishido • Sir Nighteye • Slidin' Go • Slugger • Snatch • Snipe • Takeshita • The Fly • Tiger • Thirteen • Uwabami • Vlad King • Wash • X-Less • Yoroi Musha|
|Vigilantes Original Heroes||Captain Celebrity • Compass Kid • His Purple Highness • Kameko • Mister Blaster • O'Clock • O'Clock II • Sameko|
|International Heroes||Big Red Dot • Clair Voyance • Cow Lady • Elecplant • Godzillo • Mr. Plastic • Nyikang • Pankration • Salaam • Star and Stripe • Takahiro|
|Team-Up Missions Original Heroes||Odd-Eye|
|Sidekicks||Bigshot • Bubble Girl • Burnin • Enigma • Flaming Sidekickers • Gang Orca's Sidekicks • Kido • Mick • Midnight Boys • Onemu Shinya • Onima • Sirius • The Skycrawler|
|Hero Teams||Buster Union • Oki Mariner Crew • Team Idaten • Team Purple Revolution • The Lurkers • Water Hose • Wild, Wild Pussycats|
|Raid Teams||Hideout Raid Team • Hospital Raid Team • Villa Raid Team|
|Related Articles||Costume • Hero Name • Hero Office • Quirk • Sidekicks • U.A. High School|
|Sidekicks||Burnin • Kido • Onima|
|Trainees||Deku • Dynamight • Shoto|
|Families and Civilians|
|Asui Family||Ganma Asui • Beru Asui • Tsuyu Asui • Samidare Asui • Satsuki Asui|
|Bakugo Family||Masaru Bakugo • Mitsuki Bakugo • Katsuki Bakugo|
|Ida Family||Tensei Ida • Tenya Ida|
|Jiro Family||Kyotoku Jiro • Mika Jiro • Kyoka Jiro|
|Midoriya Family||Hisashi Midoriya • Inko Midoriya • Izuku Midoriya|
|Shimano Family||Mahoro Shimano • Katsuma Shimano|
|Shigaraki Family||All For One • Yoichi Shigaraki • Tomura Shigaraki|
|Shimura Family||Mako • Chizuo • Nana Shimura • Kotaro Shimura • Nao Shimura • Hana Shimura • Tenko Shimura|
|Takami Family||Tomie Takami • Keigo Takami|
|Todoroki Family||Enji Todoroki • Rei Todoroki • Toya Todoroki • Fuyumi Todoroki • Natsuo Todoroki • Shoto Todoroki|
|Tsukauchi Family||Naomasa Tsukauchi • Makoto Tsukauchi|
|Shield Family||David Shield • Melissa Shield|
|Soul Family||Eddie Soul • Rody Soul • Roro Soul • Lala Soul|
|Haimawari Family||Shoko Haimawari • Koichi Haimawari|
|Oguro Family||Iwao Oguro • Tamao Oguro|
|Skyline Family||Christopher Skyline • Pamela|
|Civilians||Aorio Kuraishisu • Daikaku Miyagi • Eri • Gantetsu • Hikage Shinomori • Hime • Ichimoku Samazu • Ikkaku • Jube Namimaru • Komari Ikoma • Kota Izumi • Luminescent Baby • Miyashita • Moko Tamashi • Public Safety Commission President • Rin Yaritezawa • Saito • Samuel Abraham • Sho • Takuto • Tamashiro • Taneo Tokuda • Teruo Hazukashi • The Mother of Quirks • Tsubasa • Untenmaru Kurumada • Yokumiru Mera|