Don't waste your breath. Costumes? Check. On the scene? Check. That makes us heroes!Denki Kaminari to Momo Yaoyorozu in "Disaster Walker!"
Denki Kaminari (
Denki has short gold hair, parted to the right with a black lightning-shaped streak on the left of his side fringe, which is angled so that it partially obscures his left eye. He has slanted, somewhat triangular golden eyes, and notably small eyebrows. He's slimmer than most of the other male students in his class, not having much visible muscle mass. During the Paranormal Liberation War, Denki gained a scar on his upper left forehead following his injury from Mr. Compress' attack, although his hair covers it rather well.
He wears the normal U.A. uniform during school hours, the second button of his blazer undone. He also wears dark brown shoes.
In his original hero costume, he wears a plain white shirt, over which he wears an open black jacket with a white lightning pattern across his back, and matching pants with two lines running down his legs. He has a single, square-shaped earphone over his right ear, something resembling a radio antenna sticking out of the top.
His updated hero costume consists of a slightly shorter black jacket with fewer white patterns, only two near the hem and collar, and a yellow rimmed lightning bolt going around each of his shoulders. He still wears matching black pants, but they only have a small zig-zag near each of their cuffs, and he wears a belt and a white V-neck shirt. Around his right wrist, he wears a wristband with a circular mechanism from which he can shoot disc-shaped Pointers which aid him in aiming his Quirk. Along with that, he wears a black choker with a silver buckle on the left side and a headset with a blue-tinted visor.
Denki is a friendly, social, and energetic boy who likes to hang out with people. He is rather casual when interacting with others, including the generally unfriendly Katsuki Bakugo, although he's also not above petty complaining or overreacting if feeling annoyed or shocked enough. Denki may come off as blunt and reckless at times, but is always well-meaning.
Denki is somewhat flirtatious towards the girls of his class (and even the ones from other classes), sometimes accompanying Minoru Mineta on his schemes and trying to pass himself off as a smooth talker. He is not very lucky with his approaches, though, frequently having his advances ignored or outright rejected by everyone he asks out. Denki is also a bit of a jokester and likes to tease others with playful comments. Overall, it seems that Denki has an interest in appearing cool and trendy in order to impress people, but has a shallow understanding of how to do so properly. Because of that, he gets easily influenced by what's popular or stylish at the moment, even if it's due to villain action.
Denki is not very academically bright, requiring massive help at studying due to his general disinterest and neglect of school duties. He does not appear to pay much attention in classes, gets easily bored from lectures, and suffers anxiety attacks when dealing with tests, at which point he becomes increasingly agitated and aggressive. Frequently showing a lack of tact and smarts in and outside school, Denki may give off the impression of being stupid or foolish, leading others to throw snide remarks at him (especially Kyoka Jiro) or underestimate his capabilities as a hero. Despite this, Denki can show surprising knowledge about certain areas such as literature, art, and music, possessing a large vocabulary that shows up every now and then.
Denki becomes quickly distraught when put into stressful situations, to the point of appearing spineless and incompetent to foes and allies alike. During combat, he is very quick to panic and may accidentally activate his Quirk in the face of any imminent danger, leaving himself vulnerable in the process. He becomes more reluctant to use his full power when there are allies close to him, being afraid of hurting them through collateral damage from his volatile bolts. When he is assured that all his allies will be safe from his powers, he becomes more confident in his fighting abilities. He does not tolerate others looking down on him or his classmates and will defend them if necessary.
Whenever Denki exceeds his wattage limit, he loses his ability to discharge energy, with his entire personality changing into that of a giggling idiot for a certain period until he reverts back to normal. In this state, he is always giving thumbs-ups, as a way to let others know that he is fine.
Overall Abilities: While Denki doesn't possess any direct combat abilities, he compensates for this with the moderate handle he has on the destructive, widespread power of his Quirk. When using Electrification, Denki gains a defense mechanism that shocks anyone who comes into contact with him, leaving them slightly, if not completely, paralyzed. As a result, Denki can be a fairly difficult individual to face in battle, especially those that rely on close-quarters combat. If Denki emits enough electricity, it automatically discharges in all directions, shocking anyone close to him regardless if there's physical contact or not. This aspect of Electrification makes Denki very effective in battles involving a large number of opponents, but can also turn him into a burden if there are allies around who can't protect themselves from his bolts. Denki can also use his electrokinetics to turn himself into a makeshift lightning rod to diffuse the electrical attacks of his opponents.
With the help of Kyoka and Momo Yaoyorozu during the U.S.J. Incident, Denki was able to stun 3 villains, and eventually defeat the rest of the several villains that had surrounded the trio. Even at the U.A. Sports Festival, Denki was able to single-handedly short-circuit a giant Villain Bot. He showcased significant improvement during the Provisional Hero License Exam, when he teamed up with Katsuki and Eijiro Kirishima to battle Seiji Shishikura, one of the most formidable students of Shiketsu High School. After Seiji overpowered Katsuki and Eijiro, Denki utilized his improved Quirk handling in tandem with his new Sharpshooting Gear to catch the flesh manipulating student off-guard and successfully subdue him, which allowed Katsuki and Eijiro to break free from the effects of Seiji's Meatball Quirk, and completely defeat him. During Nine's attack on Nabu Island, Denki teamed with Eijiro and Katsuki to efficaciously take on Mummy’s puppet assault, and acted as a lightning rod to counteract Nine's Weather Manipulation Quirk to protect Izuku Midoriya and Katsuki. His abilities eventually garnered the attention of The Lurkers (consisting of Edgeshot, Kamui Woods, and Mt. Lady), giving Denki the opportunity to intern under the trio of powerful heroes and improve on close and efficient team maneuvers.
Tactical Intellect: Despite not being one of the more intelligent members of Class 1-A, Denki does possess some degree of strategic and tactical skills. During the Joint Training, he devised a strategy to defeat Ibara Shiozaki, one of Class 1-B's most formidable students. Having learned from his first battle with her at the U.A. Sports Festival, that her vines are immune to electricity, Denki allowed himself to act as a decoy and be the only one captured so that he can produce enough electricity to divide the attention of the opposing team. Denki's plan allowed Hitoshi Shinso to discretely brainwash Ibara, while Tsuyu Asui captured her before subduing Hiryu Rin, which in turn defeated Jurota Shishida. Overall, Denki's ingenuity, which secured victory for his team, can be rather impressive when the situation calls for it.
Special Talents: Denki is highly skilled at playing the electric guitar, and can draw decently detailed portraits.
Denki is also able to absorb and neutralize electricity and other lightning-based Quirks.
As part of his training, Denki ran his currents of electricity through a high capacity battery so he can handle larger amounts of electricity.
- Indiscriminate Shock 1.3 Million Volts (
無 差 別 放 電130 万 VMusabetsu Hōden 130-man Boruto?): Denki releases a large amount of electricity to shock everyone around him. Since 1,300,000 volts is his current limit, using this technique makes his brain short-circuit for 1 hour.
- Indiscriminate Shock 2 Million Volts: Denki is capable of increasing the output of his Indiscriminate Shock to 2 million volts, though this causes his brain to short circuit faster.
- Target Electo (ターゲットエレクト Tāgettoerekuto?): Using his pointers, Denki fires a straight line of electricity towards it.
Communication Earpiece: Denki wears an earpiece on his right ear that allows him to channel his electricity and create electrical communication signals. This allows him to communicate with other channels remotely. However, signals can also be blocked out by outside electrical disturbance.
Sharpshooting Gear: A device Denki wears on his right forearm that fires the pointers. It contains a dial that allows Denki to choose the pointer he wants his electricity to be directed towards in case multiple Pointers are set up.
- Pointers: Disc-shaped projectiles that stick to targets. When Denki releases his electricity, it is attracted to the pointer of Denki's choosing. The working distance limit is 10 meters.
- Optical Visor: A glasses-like accessory that updates Denki with info in regards to the Pointers.
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
- In the preliminary stages of the series, Denki's design was radically different from his current one. He looked far more villainous, with longer, spikier hair. Also, he was not yet known as Denki Kaminari, but rather as a random electricity Quirk user.
- This original design also shares a lot of similarities with Present Mic, who was also conceived as a completely different character from what he is currently.
- According to Denki's Volume 3 profile:
- His favorite food is hamburgers.
- His favorite things are anything that's currently trending.
- His role is to tie Class 1-A together with his personality, just like Eijiro.
- Horikoshi thinks he's fun to draw but has trouble drawing his hair with consistency.
- Denki's known U.A. data is as follows:
- Student No. 7 in Class 1-A.
- Ranked 16th during Shota Aizawa's Quirk Apprehension Test.
- Ranked 20th in Class 1-A's grades.
- Ranked in the Top 16 of the U.A. Sports Festival First-Year Stage.
- Denki received a total of 272 nominations from Pro Heroes for his U.A. Sports Festival performance, making him the fifth most nominated Class 1-A student.
- Denki's rankings in the Popularity Polls are as follows:
- In the First Popularity Poll, Denki ranked 10th.
- In the Second Popularity Poll, Denki ranked 11th.
- In the Third Popularity Poll, Denki ranked 8th.
- In the Fourth Popularity Poll, Denki ranked 16th.
- In the Fifth Popularity Poll, Denki ranked 14th.
- Denki's surname contains the kanji for "above, hair" (上 kami?), "sound, to ring" (鳴 nari?), and his first name contains "electricity" (電 den?) and "spirit" (気 ki?).
- The black, lightning-shaped streak on Denki's hair is apparently natural.
- Denki and Kyoka share the same costume designer.
- (To Katsuki) "We've only barely started socializing and already you've made it abundantly clear to us the unpleasantness of your steamed turn of a personality."
- (To Ibara) "Wanna grab something to eat when we're done here? I'll be happy to console you if you want. Because this match will probably... be over in an instant."
- "There ya go-one big commander guy totally neutralized! Now let's mop up the others real quick... so the guys we left behind don't need to worry!."
- My Hero Academia Manga: Vol. 31, Omake
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 16 and Episode 11.
- My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 263.
- My Hero Academia: Two Heroes.
- My Hero Academia: Ultra Analysis: The Official Character Guide.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 60 and Episode 34.
- My Hero Academia Manga and Anime: Chapter 13 and Episode 9.
- My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 35.
|U.A. High School|
|Class 1-A Students||Denki Kaminari • Eijiro Kirishima • Fumikage Tokoyami • Hanta Sero • Izuku Midoriya • Katsuki Bakugo • Koji Koda • Kyoka Jiro • Mashirao Ojiro • Mezo Shoji • Mina Ashido • Minoru Mineta • Momo Yaoyorozu • Ochaco Uraraka • Rikido Sato • Shoto Todoroki • Tenya Ida • Toru Hagakure • Tsuyu Asui • Yuga Aoyama|
|Class 1-B Students||Hiryu Rin • Ibara Shiozaki • Itsuka Kendo • Juzo Honenuki • Jurota Shishida • Kinoko Komori • Kojiro Bondo • Kosei Tsuburaba • Manga Fukidashi • Neito Monoma • Nirengeki Shoda • Pony Tsunotori • Reiko Yanagi • Sen Kaibara • Setsuna Tokage • Shihai Kuroiro • Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu • Togaru Kamakiri • Yosetsu Awase • Yui Kodai|
|Department of Support||Mei Hatsume • Bibimi Kenranzaki|
|General Department||Hitoshi Shinso • Chikuchi Togeike • Tsutsutaka Agoyamato|
|Second Year Students||Mawata Fuwa|
|Third Year Students||Mirio Togata • Nejire Hado • Tamaki Amajiki • Bibimi Kenranzaki • Yuyu Haya|
|Staff||All Might • Cementoss • Ectoplasm • Eraser Head • Hound Dog • Lunch Rush • Midnight • Nezu • Power Loader • Present Mic • Recovery Girl • Snipe • Thirteen • Vlad King • Gran Torino (Retired)|
|Former Students||All Might • Endeavor • Best Jeanist • Midnight • Eraser Head • Loud Cloud • Present Mic • Mister Blaster|
|Locations||Class 1-A • Class 1-B • Conference Room • Ground Beta • Ground Gamma • Ground Omega • Gym Gamma • Heights Alliance • Lunch Rush Cafeteria • P.E. Grounds • Recovery Girl's Nurse's Office • Sports Festival Stadium • Teachers Lounge • U.A.'s Development Studio • Unforeseen Simulation Joint|