You must've thought, "As long as I face the future, I can be better!" I can tell you're at a loss for words, so here's the answer! The past never dies! Get it yet!? Y'reap what you sow! Let's tango, you and me—Enji Todoroki!! A dance with your son, here in hell!!Dabi to Endeavor in "Dabi's Dance"
He is a Villain affiliated with the League of Villains, and a former member of the organization's since disbanded Vanguard Action Squad. He and the rest of his team serve as the main antagonists of the Forest Training Camp Arc. He also serves as an antagonist in the Pro Hero Arc.
Dabi is a fairly tall, pale young man of a slim, somewhat lanky build, described to be in his early twenties. He has white hair with a few red streaks at its crown that spikes upward around his head, hanging low over his eyes, which are thin, turquoise in color, and heavily lidded. Before the reveal of his true identity, his hair was dyed black.
His most striking features are undoubtedly the patches of gnarled, wrinkled, purple skin that cover much of his lower face and neck, all the way down past his collarbone, below his eyes, around his torso, and on his arms and legs due to him losing control of his fire Quirk at a young age and engulfing him in flames. These appear to be attached to the rest of his skin by multiple, crude surgical staples or hoop piercings.
He has several silver cartilage piercings in both ears, and a triple nostril piercing on the right side of his nose. He also seems to be lacking earlobes on both sides of his ears upon closer inspection. In his first appearance, he wears a dark blue jacket with a high, ripped collar, and matching pants, cut off above his ankles, a pair of dark dress shoes on his feet. He also has a plain pale gray, scoop-neck shirt, below which a gray belt with a circular pattern wraps around his waist, a leather satchel attached at the back.
As a child, Toya had a round face and unruly crimson hair that was spiked up in tufts around his head, falling down his forehead in uneven bangs, though due to inheriting his mother's genes (or suffering from Marie Antoinette Syndrome), his hair slowly turned white. He also wore a plain gakuran jacket as well. He would usually wear a neutral expression as shown in a few of the photos he was shown in. Due to his premature birth, he was also shorter than his two younger siblings, Fuyumi and Natsuo, though after his growth spurt did he become around the same height as them.
When he joins the Vanguard Action Squad, his look is updated, now consisting of a larger dark blue coat with two large metal cuffs at the end of each elbow-length sleeve, and a white stitch design on each of his shoulders, the hem ripped, extending down to his knees. His shirt and belt stay the same, but he replaces his pants with some larger ones of a darker color, and his shoes with black boots.
Around the time of the formation of the Paranormal Liberation Front, Dabi acquires a new outfit to complete his status as one of the nine lieutenants of the organization. Dabi wears a darkish blue long coat with the same white cuffs similar to his previous one. In addition, he dons a white V-necked shirt with white outlines. His stitches not only extend to his shoulder pads but also the kneecaps of his pants. The only things he retains are his silver belt, black boots, and his dark-colored pants. He also has three buttons on both sides of his coat.
As a child, Toya was very energetic and boisterous, and he wanted to learn as much as he could from his father. Because his father Enji had emphasized that he would be the one to surpass All Might since childhood, Toya became obsessed with the goal to fulfill that dream, becoming just as stubborn as his father to become the next number one. This drive to surpass All Might was so great that despite Enji continuously trying to tell him to abandon this goal and focus on something else in life, he refused and continued training, burning himself in the process. After being abandoned by Enji, who became focused on Toya's youngest brother Shoto, Toya went through an existential crisis, crying out of frustration every night. The constant stress and suffering caused Toya to eventually lose his sanity, and after losing control of his fire that resulted in burning a large portion of his body, he faked his death and became a murderous criminal obsessed with ruining the reputation of his father.
After renaming himself Dabi, he became a stoic, aloof, confident, and focused individual who rarely shows emotion. While rather crude and violent, he's actually cautious, choosing to retreat when Mirko arrived to aid Endeavor and made sure not to divulge too much information to Hawks about High-End because of the infancy of their relationship. Overall, Dabi is a highly enigmatic individual who trusts no one, preferring to do things alone and in his own way. He also gives off the impression of knowing more about certain people than he lets on.
Despite his usual expressionless behavior, Dabi finds joy in establishing himself as a villain fighting against what he believes to be false heroes, an ideology proposed by his apparent inspiration, Stain. Dabi is dedicated to Stain's mission and desires to destroy superhuman society, sharing his belief that one person with the necessary conviction can do so. He appears to share Stain's sentiment that heroes are hypocritical and unworthy of their title, but unlike Stain, he does not seem to seek a society with better heroes.
Dabi takes pleasure in taunting heroic figures, students, and Pro Heroes alike, sadistically enjoying the pain he inflicts on others, including those he murders. Sometimes, Dabi engages in psychological warfare in order to unnerve whoever his opposition is while also allowing himself to cool down from his Quirk's effects. Very pragmatic in battle, he is rather savvy about how heroes operate and will exploit their natural tendency to rescue others. He is not afraid of causing collateral destruction, rarely holding back, even if it puts his allies at risk.
Dabi is intolerant of most people and can be very derisive, being quite rude and condescending to essentially everybody he interacts with. He insulted Tomura Shigaraki immediately after meeting him and constantly does the same to both his allies and enemies but doesn't always do it with the intention to be rude. While the League would go on to develop a strong sense of camaraderie, Dabi has remained distant from them for the most part. He has admitted that he doesn't care for Tomura or the rest of the League and that the value he puts on them comes mostly from their ability to bring his ambitions into reality. This selfish way of thinking establishes Dabi as an extreme sociopath.
However, Dabi appears to at least be capable of feeling remorse. While he had no problem killing the Pro Hero Snatch, the latter's words appear to have resonated with him, implying that Dabi has sympathy for those that have lost family due to villains, as well as the loved ones of those who he has killed. This does not extend to his own family though, as Dabi has frequently contemplated their deaths for the sake of revenge.
Following the reveal of his identity and his broadcast revealing his childhood, Dabi unveils his far more sadistic and unhinged side, expressing a maddened and gleeful expression upon confronting his father and youngest brother. With his sadism and vengeance fully renewed, Dabi shows to completely relish in any and all pain he can cause Endeavor, which is shown when he attacked Nejire Chan with his Quirk and gloated that another child's future had been burned by Endeavor's flames. His broadcast has also shown his true belief in heroes, which is that they use their good actions to hide and justify all their sins, and use the public's admiration of them to keep it that way.
Dabi is also aware of his own madness and doesn't seem to be against the idea of suicide if it can kill his father or hurt him more, as shown when Dabi attempts to immolate both himself and Shoto in the Paranormal Liberation War. He also expresses how he can't feel anything anymore, not even towards his family, further cementing Dabi's apathy and his disregard for any and all life.
Overall Abilities: Having been trained by his father, Endeavor, at a young age, and undergoing self-training, Dabi has proven to be a powerful villain, being one of the strongest members of the League of Villains' Vanguard Action Squad, as well as its de facto leader. After joining the League, Dabi killed over thirty people, garnering a reputation as a dangerous criminal and a mass murderer. Dabi has an effective handle on his powerful, yet hazardous Quirk, which not only grants him control over his self-generated blue flames that are stronger than normal flames, but also proficient wide-range capabilities.
Dabi primarily fights from a distance, shooting fireballs, generating flamethrower attacks, and releasing bursts of fire when at close range. His basic offense is using the brute force of his Quirk to overwhelm his enemies. Defensively, Dabi can burn away attacks and even generate massive walls of fire to surround his targets. With this skill and power, he can incinerate an entire group of opponents in mere seconds. Overall, Dabi has the capacity and ingenuity to contend with a multitude of adversaries who outnumber him.
The immense capabilities of Dabi's Quirk allowed him to repel the Bakugo Escort squad during the Vanguard Action Squad Invasion, fight off multiple Meta Liberation Army members and emerge unscathed, as well as extensively fight on par with Geten, one of MLA's strongest members. He even completely overpowered Hawks, the No. 2 Hero, primarily due to pyrokinetics being major weakness to Hawks' Fierce Wings. These feats are proven to be even more impressive as Dabi never relied on his Flashfire techniques in any of these encounters.
Dabi's Quirk finesse also enables him to fly and hover in the air much like his father and younger brother. In the Paranormal Liberation War, Dabi began utilizing his father's Flashfire Fist techniques in combat and was not only able to instantly burn through Best Jeanist's Carbon Fibers, but effortlessly dominated Shoto (also using use Flashfire Fist) in a battle of flames. The disparity in their abilities was so great, Dabi could hold back and defeat Shoto with a single Jet Burn, without killing him.
- Enhanced Stamina: In spite of his disheveled body and Quirk drawbacks, Dabi is fairly effective at enduring battles wherein heavy injures are eminent. Most notably, when his own flames begin to eat away at his body from overuse, Dabi continues to battle and use his volatile Quirk, ignoring the probable self-cremation he could face.
- Cold Resistance: Dabi is resistant to extreme cold or ice-based attacks, a trait he inherited from his mother. This gave Dabi an advantage during his fight with Geten.
Keen Intellect: Possessing good judgment, Dabi is very keen individual, observant of everything around him, whether he's reading someone's intentions or weaknesses. Dabi is also known for psychologically engaging enemies, questioning their motives and morality during combat. This is an entirely tactical maneuver for buying time since it complements Dabi's weakness of his flames hurting his own body over time. When he first met Tomura Shigaraki, the pyrokinetic easily identified Tomura's personality instability. During the Vanguard Action Squad Invasion, he formed a plan having copies of himself, created by Twice, distract Eraser Head and Vlad King, while simultaneously using his flames to trap numerous U.A. students in the The Beast's Forest. Dabi's machinations may have resulted in the Vanguard Action Squad suffering 3 casualties, but in the end accomplished the objective of capturing Katsuki Bakugo. In the course of the forest incursion, one of Dabi's clones saw through Eraser Head's stoic nature with just a glance. After the League captured Katsuki, Tomura wanted Dabi to remove the Katsuki's restraints, but Dabi refused, knowing Katsuki would initiate a surprise attack once released, which was proven true after Twice removed Katsuki's bondages.
While battling Snatch on a highway, Dabi quickly deduced and exploited the limits of the Sand Hero's Quirk. With this exploitation and Mr. Compress' aid, Dabi expressed that the lingering flames will kill the compressed Snatch, since the Pro Hero can only turn his upper body into sand. Once the Revival Festival was underway, wherein he was ambushed by Geten, Dabi, with a glimpse, assessed that the ice wielder was a strong adversary, all before their bout commenced. Whilst overpowering Hawks at Gunga Mountain Villa, Dabi revealed that he had suspected the Wing Hero of being the P.L.F traitor, so he chose not to trust Hawks the whole time they were acquainted with one another. To ensure Twice's escape, and knowing that he can't keep pace with Hawks' speed, Dabi threw Hawks off-balance by announcing the hero's civilian name: Keigo Takami. Dabi soon explained he acquired this information by looking into the backgrounds of Hawks and the League of Villains, but no details were available pertaining to anyone besides Tomura and Hawks. Following Tsukuyomi's intervention, Dabi knew that Jet-Black Hero would try to make a swift escape, so he intentionally waned the potency of his blaze attacks so he can have enough energy for his new jet propulsion ability.
Dabi's most impactful form of guerilla warfare was when he had his pre-recorded backstory uploaded to be globally broadcasted, while simultaneously revealing his true identity as Toya Todoroki to Endeavor and Shoto. Other than explaining his abusive childhood, kinship to Endeavor, and Endeavor's ambitions, Dabi also confessed to orchestrating his father's encounters with Hood, Starservant, and Ending in his attempts to discredit his father, a fact that sent Shoto into a tearful rage. Another nail in the coffin was Dabi divulging a part of Hawks' history in regards to the Wing Hero being both the son of a serial criminal whom Endeavor previously apprehended, and the one responsible for the deaths of Twice and Best Jeanist, as murder is an act heroes don't commonly perform. These revelations were implemented to instill despair into Endeavor, as well as strip people of their faith in heroes, both of which were successful.
Cremation: Dabi's Quirk grants him the ability to generate highly destructive blue flames from his body. He has very well-developed control of his flames and can project them a fair distance from himself and in large amounts. Furthermore, his flames possess greater firepower than that of his father, Endeavor's Hellflame Quirk, and they become even stronger when Dabi feels strong emotions. However, Dabi's body has a low tolerance for his own flames, due to inheriting his mother's resistance to freezing temperatures, rather than his father's resistance to high heat, and he will get burned if he uses them for prolonged periods of time.
- Flashfire Fist (赫灼熱拳 Kaku Shakunekken?): Endeavor's signature technique, later passed down to Dabi himself. Dabi raises his fire's temperature to its highest level and maximizes his power. Doing so, Dabi can unleash devastating flame attacks or increase his speed dramatically.
- Flashfire Fist - Jet Burn (赫灼熱拳 ジェットバーン Kaku Shakunekken Jettobān?): This attack allows Dabi to shoot out a blast of fire at his desired target. This attack is quite powerful, as it was shown to critically wound Shoto, knocking him unconscious. Dabi used the move against his youngest brother during the war on the Paranormal Liberation Front. Unlike his father, Dabi only shoots his fire rather than making direct contact with his opponent.
- Prominence Burn (プロミネンスバーン Purominensu Bān?): This attack allows Dabi to launch a massive, concentrated beam of fire from his entire body that is able to vaporize his target. Dabi nearly used this move at full power against Endeavor but was intercepted by the sudden arrival of Best Jeanist on the battlefield.
Battles & Events
|Battles & Events|
- Dabi's official rankings in the Popularity Polls are as following:
- Ranked 28th place in the 2nd Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 34th place in the 3rd Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 28th place in the 4th Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 19th place in the 5th Popularity Poll.
- Ranked 22nd place in the 6th Popularity Poll.
- Dabi's real first name, Toya, contains the kanji for "lamp" (燈 tō?) and "arrow" (矢 ya?), and his alias translates to "cremation" (荼毘 dabi?).
- In the Season 2 opening, "Sora ni Utaeba" by Amazarashi, Dabi was shown as a silhouette foreshadowing his appearance to come.
- In the Season 4 ending "Shout Baby", there is a burnt photo along with the other photos of the Todoroki Family and a young Keigo Takami, possibly foreshadowing Toya's current identity as Dabi.
- Dabi favors his left-hand in battle.
- Dabi can get carsick easily, as he stated to Spinner when the latter was not driving properly.
- Dabi is unable to cry since his tear glands are burned. However, it's been shown that blood will still flow from them.
- Dabi hates fish.
- Dabi shares his birthday with Moe Kamiji.
- Dabi's English voice actor, Jason Liebrecht, is currently in a relationship with Nemuri Kayama's English voice actress, Elizabeth Maxwell.
- Dabi may be considered a dark reflection of Shoto, as it's been implied that Shoto may have become just like him had he not had the support from both his mother and the friends he made at U.A.. Thanks to them, he eventually learned to let go of his hatred instead of letting it consume him as Dabi had done; Shoto himself noted this and it was reason why he wanted to deal with Dabi himself.
- Dabi was born prematurely and was small throughout his childhood because of it.
- Dabi's flames were originally red like his father's, and they didn't turn blue until he hit puberty.
- (To the Vanguard Action Squad) "This will just be a signal fire. We'll fill those heroes full of holes... and put them in their place. All for a brighter future."
- (To Eraser Head) "Quite worthy of being an instructor at U.A. Ain't that right, hero? Is it cuz your students are so precious? Hope you got what it takes to protect them... See ya later."
- (To Vlad King) "Why not get cocky? You're playing right into our hands. The second you lost the initiative signaled your defeat. You've got the top hero-training academy, U.A., and the Symbol of Peace, All Might... the two most trusted foundations of our hero-based society. But now one mess after another is shaking that trust... don't you think that loss of faith will spread like wildfire throughout society? Think about it... how your careless administration keeps allowing attack after attack... you're so weak... you couldn't even stop a criminal organization from abducting your students."
- (To unnamed criminals) "If you're trash, at least burn and be kindling for my flames."
- (To Hawks)"The League? Shigaraki? I never gave a crap about them. A single person with a single conviction has the power to change the world. There are no true heroes. I plan to make Stain's will a reality. See ya, Hawks. Your life's another thing I don't care about."
|League of Villains|
|Current Leader||Tomura Shigaraki|
|Recruits||Dabi • Himiko Toga • Magne • Moonfish • Mr. Compress • Muscular • Mustard • Spinner • Twice|
|Underlings||Chomper • Four-Armed Zealot • Gravitational Spring • Hanzo Suiden • Hard Head • Invisible Wall • Martial Hair • Minotaurus • Muscle Man • Needle Hair • Oxy-Man • Sharkyonara • Sickle Claw • Steel Bulwark • Stitched Giant • Tesla • Thousand Eyes • Victor|
|Standard Nomu||U.S.J Nomu • Hosu Nomus • Chainsaw Nomu • Johnny|
|High-End Nomu||Chubs • Eleph • Hood • Ribby • Robot • Woman • Six Unnamed|
|Associates||Giran • Nine|
|Original Members||All For One • Kyudai Garaki • Gigantomachia • Nomu • Kurogiri|
|Locations||Haibori Woods • Jaku General Hospital • League of Villains Bar • Nomu Factory|
|Paranormal Liberation Front|
|Grand Commander||Tomura Shigaraki|
|Lieutenants||Dabi • Geten • Himiko Toga • Mr. Compress • Re-Destro • Skeptic • Spinner • Trumpet • Twice|
|Other Members||Kyudai Garaki|
|Nomu||Lower Tier (Mocha • Johnny) • Near High-Ends • High Ends (Chubs • Eleph • Ribby • Robot • Woman • Six Unnamed)|
|Associates||All For One • Cider House • Dictator • Ending • Giran • Hawks • Overhaul • Lady Nagant • Moonfish • Muscular • Starservant|
|Locations||Gunga Mountain Villa • Jaku General Hospital|
|Families and Civilians|
|Asui Family||Beru Asui • Ganma Asui • Tsuyu Asui • Samidare Asui • Satsuki Asui|
|Bakugo Family||Masaru Bakugo • Mitsuki Bakugo • Katsuki Bakugo|
|Ida Family||Tensei Ida • Tenya Ida|
|Jiro Family||Kyotoku Jiro • Mika Jiro • Kyoka Jiro|
|Midoriya Family||Hisashi Midoriya • Inko Midoriya • Izuku Midoriya|
|Shimano Family||Katsuma Shimano • Mahoro Shimano|
|Shigaraki Family||All For One • Yoichi Shigaraki • Tomura Shigaraki|
|Shimura Family||Chizuo • Hana Shimura • Kotaro Shimura • Mako • Nana Shimura • Nao Shimura • Tenko Shimura|
|Takami Family||Keigo Takami • Tomie Takami|
|Todoroki Family||Enji Todoroki • Rei Todoroki • Fuyumi Todoroki • Natsuo Todoroki • Shoto Todoroki • Toya Todoroki|
|Tsukauchi Family||Makoto Tsukauchi • Naomasa Tsukauchi|
|Shield Family||David Shield • Melissa Shield|
|Haimawari Family||Koichi Haimawari • Shoko Haimawari|
|Oguro Family||Iwao Oguro • Tamao Oguro|
|Skyline Family||Christopher Skyline • Pamela|
|Civilians||Aorio Kuraishisu • Daikaku Miyagi • Eri • Gantetsu • Hikage Shinomori • Hime • Ichimoku Samazu • Ikkaku • Jube Namimaru • Komari Ikoma • Kota Izumi • Luminescent Baby • Miyashita • Public Safety Commission President • Rin Yaritezawa • Saito • Samuel Abraham • Sho • Takuto • Tamashiro • Taneo Tokuda • Teruo Hazukashi • The Mother of Quirks • Tsubasa • Untenmaru Kurumada • Yokumiru Mera|